Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need a Teddy Bear Hospital....Stat

TobsterMom
November 26th, 2004, 01:20 AM
As I write this, it's 3am. I've been up all night, heartsick over my sons bear.

See, I fell asleep on the couch, with Toby at my feet (naturally) and woke up to a weird sound. When I looked up, there was Toby with my sons beloved bear Paul Tangerine or "P.T.", the sound was the bead contents of P.T.'s foot falling down the stairs. I jumped off the couch, and Toby did what most retrievers do, ran and hid with the bear. As upset as I was, I know I couldn't really get mad at Toby (although I was furious) because this is what he normally does with his own toys, and of course he doesn't know the difference.

I'm just sick to my stomach. My son has gone to bed with this bear every night for 4 years. I've been up all night looking for teddy bear hospitals. He is going to be so devastated in the morning. I would rather Toby had chewed apart my most expensive possesion as to have to explain to my son what happened, and why he shouldn't hate the dog (he's only 6 and can hold a mean grudge).

He usually gets up through the night to feel for his bear, but thank God, he hasn't tonight. P.T is a Ty Beanie Buddie originally named Tangerine, and of course is retired. Even if we could find a new one, it wouldn't pass as P.T. has already been "well loved". I do have a picture of what he originally looked like, before half his face was chewed off.

If anyone knows of a teddy bear hospital in Canada, or someone that fixes them, please help. I don't care what it would cost, I just feel so bad for my boy. I worked 12 hours today, and can't sleep, I'm just heartsick.

Bugsy
November 26th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Poor Tangerine :sad: Believe it or not I know how your son will feel. I had
a bear since I was 2. Kept it all these years. Bugsy ate it...all of it :evil:
I wish I could help. Maybe get a new one, and tell your son you washed it.
If he asks where it is tell him.... :confused:

Bugsy
November 26th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Or is it this one....http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1628&item=5937897151&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

badger
November 26th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Maybe you could explain that the bear had an accident, without implicating the dog. Get out your needle and thread, improvise some bandages, and make a little bed for him to recover.

I don't know where you are, but there's an animal hospital in Victoria B.C.

krdahmer
November 26th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Bugsy and Badger....to the rescue! Awww...that is so :sad: , the poor little bear. I know things like that happened to my puppy when I was little, my mom would stitch him up and let me put a bandaid on him to make me feel better. And that pup is still in my closet, stitched ears/ back & foot, and even a new nose cause I chewed the first one off! I wouldn't try to replace it without telling him what happened, or at least a version of what happened, cause kids get attached to a particular bear... and would rather one that is stitched up, to some new bear. At least I know that was what I was like, I even got ticked off when mom washed him cause then he didn't smell right (like my drool....ew).
I feel for ya, I wouldn't want to have to explain all that, and have worked that long shift...

CyberKitten
November 26th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Your son will be upset but no six year old holds a mean grudge, c'mon, lol (If you had said to me and your son was my patient, I'd wonder about you :)

Can you just sew the bear and explain it got ripped spmehow but do not implicate the dog as someone rec'd earlier. Even mended, the bear can still be his best friend. You should see some of the bears and stuffed friends children bring to the hospital. They've gone thu the washer so many times (and especially with tiny ones going thru bone marrow tranplants who are in isolation - their bears have to be practically bleached) They love them anyway!!!!

Good luck!! I am sure he will love his bear all the more after its surgery.

lil_kirk
November 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM
When I was little somethnig happened and ruined my very special sleep buddy too---it was upsetting but I got over it after I fell in love with something new. That's how kids work---they cry and get upset for a night but the next day they can be won over again by showing them that they can love another so to speak. I still have my replacement cuddle toy stored away... :crazy:

I don't usually suggest buying something new to replace broken toys--but in this instance when the child had no part in it and obviously respects his toys well enough to have the little guy for four years I don't see why this would hurt. Also--he'll be needing something if PT was his security blankie type bear...another cuddle buddy to protect him at night :)

melanie
November 26th, 2004, 03:09 PM
just explain teddy was in a bit of an accident, had a bit of surgey, may be a bit different now (tell him not to mention this in front of teddy :eek: ) but is still the teddy we all knew and loved.

just adds character and makes the ted special, it has toby love all through it. when i was a kid most of my teddies needed several surgeries (very worriesome for child i might add) and they looked a bit rough, but they lasted and i still have then all today, they just have lots of memories in them and all speical.

TobsterMom
November 26th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks so much for all your stories and suggestions. Last night I was so devastated for Logan. But I wrapped PT up in a towel and put him away until I could think straight. I phoned around a bit today, and it turns out my regular seamstress agreed to perform reconstructive surgery tomorrow (thank God).

So anyway, my husband and mom broke the news to him today while I was at work (they didn't mention Toby was the culprit, I know someone mentioned about 6 year olds not holding grudges, well...not with people, but with Toby, for some reason he seems to :o ) but had suggested that he may have fell out of bed and snagged on the springs. He was upset at first, and shocked upon seeing the damage, but we told him he was going to get a new nose and that he might look a bit different, but he would be the same PT on the inside.

I feel so much better and really appreciated the advice and enjoyed your stories. Thanks :thumbs up

TobsterMom
November 26th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Or is it this one....http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1628&item=5937897151&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

That is him....well minus a snout.... and 1 foot.....and not quite as bright a shade of orange anymore...and the bow is tattered...but that is him!!

Which makes me think...maybe Logan can go pick out some new ribbon for a bow...to go with PT's new look!

lilith_rizel
November 27th, 2004, 05:35 PM
I would definately make Logan part of P.T.'s reconstruction. Take him along to the seamstress' house, and let him say what he wants, as far as ribbon and such. Maybe even sew on a special patch that Logan picks out for his beloved bear.

TobsterMom
November 27th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Logan went with along with my mom today and brought PT to the seamstress, he was really O.K. with it and can't wait to get him back tomorrow. My mother took him to the store and let him pick out a new bear to sleep with until PT was back home. He picked out a soft floppy little bear and named him "Baby Giles". Hopefully "Baby Giles will help him get through the night. I'll take him to the craft store this week to pick out new ribbon, maybe some Christmas ribbon as well.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions guys, I really appreciate it :thumbs up

lilith_rizel
November 28th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Well, I am excited to hear how P.T. has turned out. I am sure he looks just fine.

CyberKitten
November 28th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Glad it all worked out!!

Bugsy
November 28th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Great news...yeeeeaaahh :thumbs up

louie's mum
November 28th, 2004, 07:46 PM
this is such a sweet reminder of how children SHOULD be treated.
good job everybody ... brings tears to my eyes.

TobsterMom
November 28th, 2004, 07:52 PM
We're still waiting for a call from our seamstress. It's night #2 without P.T (yikes) last night was O.K. He crawled in bed with us about 5 times...if he wasn't so wiggly we would have left him.

He wouldn't look at P.T. when dropping him off, he kept a towel wrapped around him.

I know it sounded silly to some people, but those of you who replied, you really understood that this was a crisis to Logan. Thanks again for your concern and replies. I'll update when we get P.T. home, which will hopefully be tomorrow, nobody is sleeping very well.

glasslass
November 29th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I'm trying to catch up on all the posts I missed over the holiday weekend. This one is so touching! Wish you lived closer as my mom repairs and restores antique dolls, and occasionally, bears. Some damage can't be repaired without showing but someday this will be a precious memory! Have to share one story. About 15 years ago, my mom got a request to make a halloween costume from a man. He wanted a bear costume to wear to a party. She doesn't make costumes but she agreed to try. When he came to be measured, he brought his childhood teddybear with him because he wanted the costume to look like his bear. He was delighted with the results. If you can imagine a 6'5" man looking in a full-length mirror to admire his little bear tail! :p