Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sweet sweet Winnie has one week to live - or else...

immaterialgirl
November 25th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Here is the story of Winnie:

Winnie was my sister's cat, a cute scrappy barn cat brought home to her by me when she needed some comfort (when she had to move far from her friends at the age of 15).
Fast forward several years. Winnie now lives at home with my parents as my sister could not take her when she moved out because her boyfriend is allergic. Meanwhile my father has developed a persistent allergy to her and cannot stand to have her in the house any longer... after a year of feeble searching and a failed attempt at a new home with a middle aged female smoker the diagnosis is this - one week to live! New Mommy doesn't want her because she hasn't come around yet and my mother wants to do the only thing she things is responsible at this point - euthanize her!

Winnie is a sweet healthy cat of 7 years. Medium size with a bit of a floppy tummy she's also a bit of a character! Black with a little white mark under her neck she is quite agreeable. She likes to know her place and doesn't mind a bit of bossing. She can be timid but has befriended my little Chihuahua quite amicably - she'll even let him clean her ears! All that this sweet little girl needs is a nice quiet home!

Please help if you can, in the right home she will fit right in quite nicely. Anyone interested can contact me or call 514.697.4304.

Please help save dear Winnie!

Lucky Rescue
November 25th, 2004, 10:13 PM
We can help find Winnie a home, but not if you're going to threaten to kill her.

You must be patient, agree to wait and I'll list her on my site.

In the meantime, there are special wipes for pets that help with allergies, and I suggest you try that.

chico2
November 25th, 2004, 11:12 PM
OMG :sad: Poor little sweet Winnie,of all the people mentioned,noone is willing to save her from being killed,what a terrible shame,she is only 7 yrs old.
Could you really with a good concience allow her to be killed :sad:
Since she gets along great with your Chi and since she was such comfort to your sister when she needed it,now it's Winnies turn for some comfort,not a death sentence...she's innocent :sad:

badger
November 25th, 2004, 11:33 PM
On your side, immaterial girl (grrreat name btw), if you haven't done so already, you could pester everybody you know, their friends and family (except for the gaspers and curmudgeons o'course). I myself am completely shameless, once I even called up a guy who had posted in the dep about a lost cat, suggesting that if he hadn't found his cat, would he be interested in mine, etc. (didn't fly). Also post in pet stores, I've had some luck there. She looks like a real sweetie, I've got my fingers crossed for you both.

CyberKitten
November 26th, 2004, 12:58 AM
You won't find her a home by threatening to kill her. This poor girl has been there for your family and now it's your turn to help her!! What would she say if you asked her how she feels? Do you not think she feels what is going on?

I am not sure about pet stores but if some group is hosting an adotion there,. you could request to add her? Advertise in a newspaper and ask for money!! (She is a valuable being!!), call local vets and ask them. They sometimes know of someone who has lost a pet and is looking for a cat! And take up Lucky's offer of posting her on Petfinder!

Please help this kitty. Don't be so cruel to her!!

Bugsy
November 26th, 2004, 01:58 AM
a failed attempt at a new home with a middle aged female smoker. New Mommy doesn't want her because she hasn't come around yet

I think this cat is no longer in her home. :confused:

badger
November 26th, 2004, 05:25 AM
I agree Bugsy, the corner has been turned. If someone visiting this board is looking for a good cat, this is your time to shine! When we talk about rescue, this is what it involves, extricating animals out of impossible situations.

Iggette
November 26th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Oh she is so adorable, if I didn't have 7 already I would take her. Do your best to find her a home and take Lucky rescue up on her offer to get her adopted.......could YOU not keep her while she is awaiting adoption?.....it takes any cat a while to adjust weeks sometimes months obviously the lady that has her now has no patience to wait for her to come around and is perhaps the wrong candidate for any cat if she does not understand this and is not willing to accomidate this poor girl.

Please do not have her euthanized, winnie deserves better and you know it by the help you have given her so far, I know it is hard but please stick with it and help winnie as best you can Your Mom may think she is doing the most responsible thing but no matter how she candy coats it she is basically trying to take the easy way out :( and :sorry: but that is not responsible just the easyiest thing for her to do. No disrespect to Mom but she is very wrong here and the advice is not to be followed.

Winnie deserves to live she is but a pawn in this sad situation when after all that she has done for you and your sister.....she should be the Queen. Please do good by her and talk to Lucky rescue about finding her a forever home where she can make someone elses life brighter for the remainder of her days which by the way could be many many years that she has yet to live and play.

I hope you do the right thing and help her I know you are a good person by the sound of your post.......please let us know the progress you are making.

Wishing Winnie the little angel :angel: all the best for her future!! (please note my signature it applies well here!!)
Iggette

whinnie-boo
November 26th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Most Important information that was left out, where are you located. Unfortunatley I do not drive, or I would pick Winnie up right away. My girlfriend just lost her 18 yr old cat, and she is looking for another for her 12 yr old who does not like to be alone. If something could be arranged, we'd like to save winnie from being killed. Let us know where you are.

Iggette
November 26th, 2004, 08:38 AM
whinnie-boo.................she posted a phone number......give it a call asap that would be awesome if you could save winnie.....514 area code I think is quebec city but maybe if you are not near transportation could possibly be arranged somehow I would be willing to help in transport if possible let me know....

Where are you?

lil_kirk
November 26th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Judging by the phone number she is in Kirkland, QC.

immaterialgirl
November 26th, 2004, 09:42 AM
My parents (not me) have been looking to find Winnie a home for a year. Granted they may not have exhausted all avenues... but when my mom said that she planned to take her to the vet tonight!!! I said wait! Let me give it a try!!! I will try sending group emails, I will find places to post ads online and around the city (Montreal). I have never really even shared a special bond with this cat but I cannot see her put down like this - not yet at least! I have even posted my parent's number so that you can call right away if you like. Also - if you are not too far away my parent may even bring her to you! Cross-post this if you like. Please help save Winnie!

badger
November 26th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Immaterial, you have to negotiate a bit more time with your parents, perhaps until Xmas? Can the cat be restricted to one room that your dad doesn't need to go into? That will cut down on the dander. This is doable, but it aint't gonna happen overnight.

whinnie-boo
November 26th, 2004, 10:00 AM
At The Moment I'm At Work, How Far Are Your Parents Willing To Travel? Like I Mentioned Before, I Have 2 Wonderful Homes For Her, One With Myself, One With My Girlfriend, But I Live In The Toronto Area & I Do Not Drive. Is There No Way Winnie Can Come And Stay With You Or Anyone You Know If Your Parnets Are Planning On Taking Her Today To Be Put Down. If You Really Want To Save Her, First Get Her Away From Your Parents. I Think Its Pretty Sad That You Say They Have Been Looking For A Year With No Luck, And She Absolutley Has To Be Put Down Today.

Let Me Know If Something Can Be Arranged, Winnie Is Relying On You Right Now More Then Anyone.

chico2
November 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Immaterial,I am sorry if I came through a little harsh...we read all the time about animals HAVING to be put down,because they are too sick,owners absolutely heart-broken :sad:
Winnie is a beautiful healthy cat,she is a Living creature and about to get killed....you say you are not emotionally attached,but compassion for a doomed animal is what I am asking to see,you were the one getting the cat originally.
I am hoping you can find a little space in your heart for Winnie and give her some time,she has been pushed around with different owners and now is with someone who is planning on killing her,no wonder she does not adjust easily... :sad:
Winnie is no less valuable than your little Chi,she just wants to live and be loved,so please do not kill her.

lil_kirk
November 26th, 2004, 11:25 AM
So immaterial are you going to take winnie up on the offer to adopt your kitty?? It's a six hour drive to Toronto right?

Should someone post this in the transportation board??

whinnie-boo
November 26th, 2004, 11:27 AM
I'M PATIENTLY AWAITING THE SAME ANSWER.

I'LL POST IT ON THE TRANSPORTATION BOARD AS WELL.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION LIL' KIRK :thumbs up

immaterialgirl
November 26th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I am very busy at work.

I do not think that it is possible for my parents to bring her as far as Toronto :( but I will keep my ear to the ground for any possibilities...
Winnie has until next week - but the sooner we can work something out the better!

I am very very thankful to all of you for your help! :)

Iggette
November 26th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Immaterial girl may be busy or whatever why dont you call her parents place and talk to them directly.So we dont waste time waiting and possibly jeapordising winnies chances. Tell them how interested you are and hope they can keep her just a little longer its been a year surely a couple of days or a week could be tolerated while transport is arranged.

A word of caution....I wouldn't be harsh about the euthenizing position they have taken after all you need them to understand that you desperatly want this kitty and you need their help in doing so :) Bluntly put .....dont piss them off :p ....lol

Good luck let us know how it went

lil_kirk
November 26th, 2004, 12:24 PM
How far are your parents willing to go Immaterial Girl??

Whinnie Boo do you have any friends who could drive East for a while to meet someone?

Just a thought...I'm of no real help other than my thoughts on this one :confused:

whinnie-boo
November 26th, 2004, 12:29 PM
I am not from this area, my friends are my kids (animals) which is partly the reason I do not drive, Id much rather walk with my dogs everywhere I go. The bus is not an option, can not carry animals on the bus (even in crates) due to allergies of other passengers.
I do want to save winnie, but my hands are tied. The fate of this beautiful girl rests on her present owners head. Speaking of which, rather then put her down, is there not a humane society in your area, offering a no-kill policy? As much as I want to find a way to pick here up, I'd rather seen her turned into the pound then put to sleep. Have all options been exhausted??????????????? :sorry: :sick: :confused: :(

CyberKitten
November 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Could your parents get her to Lucky's or Chatocat's rescue group in Mtl? If your parents are in Kirkland, how far is that?

Rainy
November 26th, 2004, 01:31 PM
A little more info wouldn't hurt either.Is Winnie spayed? Has she had any shots? UTD on shots?

immaterialgirl
November 26th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Winnie is spayed and up to date on her shots as far as I know. She is an indoor cat who will timidly venture out into the backyard. She is playful and quite clever. I do not know of these "Lucky's or Chatocat's rescue group" but I'd like to hear more... However, if we can find her a permanent home soon hopefully we won't need them...

CyberKitten
November 26th, 2004, 04:33 PM
http://luckyrescue.petfinder.com/
http://www.chatocat.com

There are other no kill rescue groups in Montreal (I think?) as well but Lucky or Chatocat could tell you more.

immaterialgirl
November 26th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Thank you Cyberkitten, those rescue groups seem great, but hopefully we'll only have to use them as a last resort...

Lucky Rescue
November 26th, 2004, 07:24 PM
I do not think that it is possible for my parents to bring her as far as Toronto

Why is that, if I may ask?

As for putting this cat in a shelter in Montreal - as far as I know there is one no-kill shelter and that is the Monteregie, where this timid cat would suffer terribly.

The Montreal SPCA will kill this cat on arrival and toss her in the trash barrel.

And Lucky Rescue has no facilities and can only take on cats who are abandoned or in immediate danger of dying. If we took everyone's pets when they decide to dump them we would have no time or space for the stray and abandoned animals. We do help people rehome unwanted pets, IF that person agrees to keep the cat until a new home is found.

chico2
November 26th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Thank you Lucky for telling it as it is,Winnie has a home...for now anyway,but I think her days are numbered :sad:

CyberKitten
November 26th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Surely if there is someone who wants Winnie in Toronto and someone with a vehicle going there from the Montreal area, can we not find a way to get these two together? What about the train? VIA Rail accepts cats. I STILL have that airline ticket (return)from Montreal to NB. (It was originally for a Siamese) Since it is a nonrefundable one but can be changed with extra money (and good for a year I think) , I could see about changing it to TO. This is the 21st century for heaven's sake!

Perhaps I should not have posted your web addy sans permission Lucky but I wondered if your group could help. Sorry!!!

I hope we can help Winnie!!

Writing4Fun
November 26th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Forgive me, but I need to understand why your sister doesn't step up to the plate and take the cat until a good home can be found. After all, this is her cat. Surely her bf's allergies aren't any worse than your dad's? Can't he just live with it for a while until a new home can be found?

Here's some info I found on Via Rail's pets policy. You'd have to buy a one-way ticket for one of the trains with checked baggage (there are only 2). Here's what the ticket would be:
http://reservia.viarail.ca/search/tripreview.aspx

Here's the info on pets:
http://askvia.ca/results_en.jsp

Good luck to poor Winnie. :sad:

SarahJane
November 26th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Has there been any resolution to this at all? Please get back to us immaterial girl.

Iggette
November 27th, 2004, 08:15 AM
whinnie-boo...........if you want this cat why dont you phone her mom directly ....to my understanding that is why she posted it. The cat is there and her fate depends on them so seems to me the easiest and swiftest way is to just phone her. IMO she has been kind enough to keep her daughters cat this long but is now burdened because of her hubbies allergies and must find a new home asap. So how about you just give her a call. :confused: immaterialgirl is just the middle person here, best to deal directly with the person who has winnies fate, and give her all these suggestions

My 2 cents

Iggette
November 29th, 2004, 07:16 AM
still no responce from anyone? :eek:

I guess winnies days are numbered :(
If they have not allready ended :sad:

chico2
November 29th, 2004, 09:12 AM
I believe Winnie is gone :sad: she obviously meant nothing to these parents,so killing her was the easiest way out..they did keep her for a year,so the"allergy"problem cannot be that bad...
In my view Allergies is getting a little tired,I am sure for some it's valid,but it is also the most common excuse to get rid of a lovely cat,who is no more a cute kitten :evil:
Since coming to Canada I had never in my life heard of soooo many people with allergies to this and that!!!
Would you not make sure you are allergic to animals BEFORE you get them??

Rainy
November 29th, 2004, 10:34 AM
I have called this morning but there was no answer.I left a message so hopefully I will hear from them soon.I'm not sure how she will get along with my kitty but i'm willing to foster her until she finds a forever home or Winnie adopts us ;)
*crossing fingers*

whinnie-boo
November 29th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Good Morning, I just stopped in this morning hoping that there would be an update on Winnie, no such luck, eh? Too bad.
I tried twice on the weekend to get through, with no luck. I so hope that it is not too late. I'm going to check the transportation forum and see if there is any luck there. :sorry:

immaterialgirl
November 29th, 2004, 01:58 PM
When my crusade to save Winnie started last Thursday night I never thought it would get to this - but every one is pitching in. My sister has made her own posters and posted them about town and has been sending out group emails, etc. I have been out around Montreal putting up posters and have even met people on the way who want to help find her a home.
I just spent the weekend moving and have no internet connection at home for the moment and I am very busy at work, but I will try my best to keep you up to date.
For the moment though, the woman who has her says that she will keep her for a few more weeks as long as we will take her eventually - and hopefully to a new home.

chico2
November 29th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Thank's for telling us,but I thought she was with your parents :confused:
There are thousands of cats in Quebec needing a warm place to call home,but maybe she'll be lucky.....I do however hope,they don't just hand her over to anyone,but a responsible person who will finally give the poor cat a forever home....

Lucky Rescue
November 29th, 2004, 03:30 PM
I will list Winnie on my site and hope some kind person will take pity on her. You must be careful who you give her to, since the person you have already given her to seems to know or care nothing about cats.

You must also charge an adoption fee.

chico2
November 29th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Lucky,I think Immaterialgirl is 2.000 miles away and probably does not have a say in where Winnie goes...I have a feeling they'll just be happy to get rid of her and will not charge anything :sad:

Lucky Rescue
November 29th, 2004, 06:30 PM
immaterialgirl says that she's in Montreal?? :confused:

Writing4Fun
November 29th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Lucky,I think Immaterialgirl is 2.000 miles away and probably does not have a say in where Winnie goes...I have a feeling they'll just be happy to get rid of her and will not charge anything :sad:
Isn't the "2000 miles away" thing in a different post - I think it's about "Leppy"??

chico2
November 30th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Yeah,sorry about that..I got a little mixed up :p it happens quiet often these days :D

whinnie-boo
December 1st, 2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks to RAINY!!!!!

She has Winnie and now we are just trying to make the arrangements to have her brought from Oshawa to Brampton, anyone who can help A.S.A.P would be much appreciated.

SarahJane
December 1st, 2004, 09:23 PM
Thank you so much whinnie boo, I'm so happy for you! :) :love: Let us know how Winnie is when you get her. :)

Rainy
December 3rd, 2004, 10:12 AM
Winnie relaxing on the counter. She's still coming around .She doesn't trust yet...but she wants too! Winnie is so undemanding and calm.She loves rubbbing up on your legs.The first morning she met my 2 boys(human) she was growling and hissing.Yesterday they both recieved leg rubs.
Winnie doesn't understand why the heck she's been moved from house to house and why her family no longer wants her.She is a talker and wants to be with you but she's not sure if she should.My youngest son doesn't understand why he can't just pick her up for a cuddle or kiss her. Winnie also hates Smokey (our kitty) especially since he's intact still waiting for his second shot and procedure.So Smokey gets to stay in the bedroom when I bring my boys to school or am out for abit.Thankfully Winnie loves to lie on my kitchen counter and although she growls like a ferocious beast at him there have been no attacks.I have to watch them every second that Smokey is out of the room.This is alot of work but hey guess what.........Winnie is alive and well .
This morning I was treated to a little paw action (paws kneading the leg) with a request for head scratches! WTG Winnie! I'm sorry your family didn't love you enough to hmmm maybe section off a part of the house to minimize allergies...and/or purchase a HEPA air filter.
Winnie also wouldn't eat right away because she was too scared.Good thing I knew cats are suckers for tuna! hehe Now she is eating her food also.
I'm not sugar coating this because i'm sure someone is reading this from her previous family and I think they should feel terrible that they didn't love Winnie enough.
I'd like to know what happened to the love that made you scratch Winnies name and your phone number on the back of her tag.....I bet you Winnie is wondering the same thing.

Iggette
December 3rd, 2004, 10:41 AM
Oh I'm so happy to hear this ......this is awesome thanks Rainy your a hero :love: and an angel :angel:
((((((((HUGS))))))))) from winnie your her hero as well :thumbs up

badger
December 3rd, 2004, 10:47 AM
She is adorable. I am sure you are giving her lots of physical contact which to me is the universal medicine and helps them relax.

Rainy
December 3rd, 2004, 10:58 AM
Not a hero .LOL I just was not going to let a healthy,spunky cat with tons of life and love to give be put to sleep for someones lack of empathy.Winnie IMO will not ever really relax totally and comfortably in my home because there is so much action in here.:( 2 boys age 5 and 7 are not calming for a cat lacking trust and just looking for a warm safe place to call home where she can lay on a comfy kitchen chair or a counter top .
What really makes me sad is thinking....Had she been put to sleep she wouldn't have enjoyed that rolling session on my carpet this morning,you know the kind where they are sprawled on their backs having a good squirming rub with a silly look on their face .I would have loved to rub her chubby tummy that was exposed but she's not ready for that yet......maybe one day ;)
We are still hoping that Winnie will get a home that meets all her needs but until then ....one day at a time. Unless she decides to adopt us. ;)

Iggette
December 3rd, 2004, 11:02 AM
ok maybe I'm confused but.......I thought winnie-boo is trying to get transport from your place to hers to keep winnie? :confused:

Rainy
December 3rd, 2004, 11:16 AM
Should transportation get worked out I will be happy to speak with Whinnie-Boo to make sure this is the right home for Winnie.

Iggette
December 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
sent you a PM :)

Rainy
December 3rd, 2004, 11:47 AM
recieved and replied :)

Lucky Rescue
December 3rd, 2004, 11:57 AM
Thank you Rainy, for keeping this cat from being killed for no reason!!!

And excuse me, but I just have to say this, cause it bugs me every time I see it.

The original post said:
New Mommy doesn't want her because she hasn't come around yet and my mother wants to do the only thing she things is responsible at this point - euthanize her!

"Euthanization" is an act performed to END SUFFERING, from painful disability, extreme old age, and/or incurable or fatal disease. It is done for the animal's benefit.

Ending a life for convenience or simply because the animal is no longer wanted is KILLING.
This is not my opinion, but merely definitions.

End of rant. You may continue with your regularly scheduled program. :D

Rainy
December 3rd, 2004, 12:03 PM
<insert embarrased smiley here>I don't know how to respond to Thank you so i'll just *blush* As you know I haven't had kitties in my life since I lived with my parents! At least 16 years ago! I'll be picking your brains and needing advise i'm sure .......to make sure Winnie is adjusting ok. Huge thank you to you and Shannon83 :)

Rainy
December 3rd, 2004, 12:14 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly and i'll match your rant with my own.
I don't know what kitty she was describing in her original post but it is not Winnie! Granted she is sweet ,but likes being bossed? Heck no, No,no,no,no,no!
Winnie likes music,a nice calm voice and being left alone to let her come to you....She shows signs of having had to put up with stuff...

Lucky Rescue
December 3rd, 2004, 12:39 PM
Quick tip - keep her in a bedroom by herself until she is thoroughly comfortable in there before letting her free in the house.

chico2
December 3rd, 2004, 01:11 PM
To Winnie! Please work your charms on Rainy,she's half-way there to give you the home you always wanted.
You probably suffered with lack of love for many years and who knows what else,but there are humans who will love you and treat you right,just allow it to happen....be a good little girl,let yourself be loved,start the loudest purr-machine going and you might get lucky!
No pressure :angel:

shihtzulover
December 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM
Reading this story has made my Friday even better. Thanks soooo much for saving this beauty. :love:

SarahJane
December 5th, 2004, 12:24 AM
I though whinnie boo would be getting winnie immediately from Rainy... guess that's not the case. So thank you Rainy then! I'm go glad to hear this has worked out.... :)

whinnie-boo
December 6th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Rainy is going to be keeping Winnie for a while and should Winnie choose Rainy's family, that will be her forever home. If it should not work out, there are 2 more homes lined up and Rainy has all the numbers she needs to re-home Winnie. But, we're all hoping Winnie comes around and she doesn't have to be moved again. Thats a lot of travelling for such a little girl.
Most importantly, thanks to the effort's of Rainy & Shannon83, Winnie is saved!! She will now how a long, full & happy life, thanks to the efforts of PETS.CA and its members. :angel:

chico2
December 6th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Yes WB and thank's to you for offering to help! I too am hoping she'll slowly come out of her fright and realize life can be good with lots of love,the poor thing probably does not know what it's like to be loved.
Good luck to Winnie and Rainy :thumbs up

whinnie-boo
December 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM
For all that animals do for us, the least we can all do, is do our best to save them. One by One. The only thanks I need is some more pictures of Winnie alive and happy, and to hear that she has adjusted to a new forever home. :queen:

sad_momma
December 7th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Thank you all soo much in helping 'my' cat find a home! Immaterial girl is my sister, and winnie was my cat. (it was NOT ME who was going to have her put down !!!!) It makes me really really happy to see that winnie has found a new home where she can be loved! dont worry, She'll get used to the kids and cats - she just needs some time to adjust (as you know, rainy, she likes to do things in her own time!)

This whole situation has been really terrible for me, and for my family. Im really appreciative of all the help from everyone at pets.ca, but it really upset me to hear people say we are uncaring, and winnie was unloved. winnie was very much loved! I cried many many times in the past few weeks as a result of this situation, and when I lived at home I spent many pleasant nights curled up on the couch with winnie purring in my lap. The idea of winnie being Killed was really upsetting, and having her rejected from the first home we found for her was really upsetting also: poor winnie!!!! I know she is a nervous cat, and it has been killing me to imagine the stress shes been under, moving so many times! Many people in this world choose to abandon animals when times get tough, but we at least made an effort to find her a new home! Allergies can be a VERY serious problem for some people, with no alternative other than getting away from the source.

anyways, thank you all, once again. Im glad we could find you all to help with this ordeal, and im glad that winnie is happy again.

Rainy, if you have any questions about winnie feel free to email thru pets.ca, and also if things dont work out Ive found a friend, in montreal, who could take Winnie.

ALSO: I tried to look into transportation costs, and it seems to me that VIA and Air Canada dont transport pets without owners along for the trip. i emailed a pet-transport company in montreal, but got no repsonse. I am willing to PAY to have Winnie transported to TO (oshawa?) and a new home with whinnie-boo, but I cant find a way! any info, anyone?

Rainy
December 7th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Winnie has her Forever Home!
Winnie is forever and permanantly part of our family.While I won't say she loves us yet ,she tolerates us and even likes us. :) Thank you everyone that gave me advise and I will be asking for more all the time! :grouphug:

Sad_M I am not here to sling insults but I do have a couple of issues to address.Winnie ceased being your cat the moment you abandoned her.Call it what you like it doesn't change the fact that you let everyone else deal with rehoming Winnie,including your sister and mother.Guilt is what you feel and so you should.
You do not have my full name ,nor do you know where I live!Your nic suggests you are something that you are not.Mothers nurture,care and raise,and protect.A change of nic would be appropriate.You have no idea if I worked in a lab preying on people such as yourself ,that are desperate to find a good home for your animal!For all you know I could belong to the pack of sick sick people that give cats to dogs for sport. :mad:

For everyone that pm,ed me about Winnie I am so glad to have met people like you! Pm me anytime even just to say hello :D Winnie's thread has over 800 views and it warms my heart to know so many people have been checking up on her.
Happy_Mommy Rainy

Lucky Rescue
December 7th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Awww - so glad to hear that Winnie is safe and sound and loved finally! It's really gratifying to see so many people care so much about one little kitty.

Sad Mommy, you did know that your mother gave Winnie one week to live? Where were you then? Nice of you to offer to pay her transport after the fact, but if you cried so much did you (or anyone in your family) think of putting Winnie into boarding to save this "very much loved cat" from being killed?

I'm sure that even if Rainy couldn't keep her, she would NEVER consider sending her back to you or any of your friends for any reason. I know I would not.

chico2
December 7th, 2004, 11:16 PM
I am sorry,but I have to agree with Rainy and Lucky....where were you when we here on the Forum sat and cried for a little cat we did not even know,who had one week to live.. :sad:
Winnie is finally with someone who will love her and it looks like she's not going anywhere else :thumbs up
:grouphug: To Rainy,Winnie and the whole family!!!

sad_momma
December 8th, 2004, 01:37 AM
I was reading posts on this site the whole time, crying in front of my own computer. I was not off on some vacation beleive it or not. I am a student in my final year of uni, and this all sprung on me at semester's end, when im putting in practically 60h weeks. AND my family HID it from me for the first week and a half after the first home we found for her had rejected her. I did NOT leave it all up to other people - what would have led anyone to assume this? I was postering my area and my school, and asking every single person I knew, including people I barely knew, to help with finding winnie a home. what makes you see this as abandoment? I love winnie, and finding her a new home was the ONLY option! am I supposed to throw my partner out of the apt? or subject my father to living with bad allergies as well? I DO feel as if I have failed winnie, but my living situation would NOT allow me to take her!

and, btw, I offered to take winnie from my parents until a home could be found, despite my partner's EXTREMELY bad cat allergies. and when rainy contacted my parents and offered to do the same, no one told me! In any case, rainy saved the day so it didnt have to come to this.

and rainy, are you saying that your posts and long-time presense on this board should have led anyone to believe bad things about you? anyone who is giving cats away at ANY time is taking this risk... should we have asked for references? call your boss? to do a credit check?

im serious: before you attack me again, give me one REALISTIC possible alternative to the route that was taken (i mean the solicitation for help, not the one-week-to-live: that was NOT my idea, and believe me I let my parents know I disagreed with thier stand.)

and before attacking me again, understand that im trying to say THANK YOU to everyone! i am GRATEFUL for everyone's concern for this, and i am GREATFUL to rainy, who has given winnie the loving home she so badly deserves.

whatever. bash me all you want, im just glad that winnie is in a home better than we could give her.

Rainy
December 8th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Your welcome.Winnie is safe and sound and happy.I don't doubt Winnie was taken care of when she was with you.Remember this....we only see what is written on the board and in this and other threads!Of course there is always more to a story.I believe the breakdown is this...one persons version,anothers version, with the truth somewhere in the middle. No one is attacking you.

I do see a little clearer what I think you were going through.As for realistic alternatives,Yes there was and is more you could have done!Again this is not an attack on you .You asked a valid question and I will respond with what I feel was realistically called for.
Anyone from your household should have taken Winnie from that home that didn't want her the moment you found out! An animal can feel when there not wanted or welcome.I also would not have minded more calls back asking me questions such as ...do you have animals now? Do you have kids?What age? What happens to Winnie if you don't bond with her? (very important question considering Winnie had just gone through this)Can you come over and meet Winnie and myself so we could chat more? All valid questions! Then you go by your gut feeling and hope you didn't choose wrong!Before aggreeing to let Winnie go make sure that the adopter knows you need and want updates.Those are my thoughts on this and by no means is what I say law.Just my opinion .
Bottom line I agree with you 100% Winnie is in a wonderful home .
:)

sad_momma
December 8th, 2004, 10:19 AM
true, i think those should stand as guidelines for all people placed in the difficult situation of re-homing an innocent lovely cat.

whinnie-boo
December 8th, 2004, 11:27 AM
@ SAD MOMMA,

Just one question for you. While we were all on here trying to figure out a way to save "RAINY'S" cat, where were you? Where was your offer of help to get her out of your parents house? To fly her to Toronto then, instead of letting her die. We all spent days and sleepless nights trying to save a cat that was supposed to be your's and never once did you come on prior to Rainy's taking possession of her. Not even so much as a message on the transportation board we opened to get some help to transport Winnie from Quebec to possibly Brampton. I do not want to think what would have happened to that beautiful girl had Rainy not stepped in. Winnie now has a forever home, and probably the best she could have found. The pictures already posted by Rainy prove just that.
I don't mean to attack you, because if you go over the post's regarding Winnie you'll see what I endured to do my part to save this cat. But, we are asking you to understand that we are here helping these animals daily, or at least trying, and with the same excuses being used hundreds of times a day, we've lost a lot of compassion for humans. We possess more compassion and understanding for the animals who keep getting thrown aside after owners priority's change. Just wanted also to let you know that should Winnie not be able to stay with Rainy, I'm certain Rainy has built up enough resources in the last week to ensure Winnie is re-homed where Rainy feels is best for her.
Now regarding your boyfriend. I recently threw my husband of 4 years out of the house because I disagreed with the way he was raising MY Pitbulls. I chose those 2 beautiful girls, and they need me. I thought he may have gotten my baby Boo pregnant, and I later found out she is not. Point being, Whinnie & Boo need me, I chose them, they come first. Should I have let him keep up destroying my dogs because I don't want to be alone? Why risk losing my children with the BSL? Thats not fair. Their safety & happiness rests in my hands, and giving them to someone else to save my relationship was not worth it, or even a thought in my mind. They always come first. There are hundreds of meds that can be taken for allergies, and it really is just an old excuse. If you and this man should get married and have Children. Will you treat them the same as that? Would you deny them, if your partner wanted? Do not say that Children are different, because they are not. You were Winnie's Mommy, and she came first and in the end, your boyfriends treatable allergies were more important then your child. She was there when you needed her, and now that she needed you, someone is on-line threatening to put her down that day, after trying to say you'd all spent so long looking for a new home, it had come down to that day.
I do commend you however, for being a big enough person to get on here and thank everyone, I just wish it had been dealt with differently.

In the end that only important issue is Winnie is Alive :crazy:
Winnie has a good forever home, and probably a few lined up if Rainy feels she's too stressed out. Other then that, thank your sister for bringing Winnie to PETS.CA, we all love her very much and your lose is Rainy's gain. :rolleyes:

Lucky Rescue
December 8th, 2004, 12:43 PM
I thought he may have gotten my baby Boo pregnant

I can see why you threw him out!!!!!! :eek:

J/K - I couldn't resist. My bad. :p

chico2
December 8th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Me baaad too,I was thinking the same :crazy:

whinnie-boo
December 8th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Obviously, not my actual husband, but, I thought that his lack of responsibilty with them while out at the dog park, or playing in the yard, may have led to her pregnancy. In the end we found it was an infection in her uterus. But, regardless. he had to go, because Michael Byrant is cracking down, and he was a typical "Show off my PITBULL owner" "My dog is tough" kind of guy. It came right down to Him or My girls. That was the easiest decision I've ever made in my life. I just wish all parents could make that same decision for their children. I may not have a husband anymore, But Whin & Boo will never let me be lonely, or unappreciated. More then anything else I need their love & affection. :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
December 8th, 2004, 01:28 PM
In the end we found it was an infection in her uterus.

So is she spayed now?

whinnie-boo
December 8th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Almost, Boo was put on antiboitics, and until they are completed (4-5 more days) she can not undergo any sort of surgery.
I've got her a doctors appt. for next Wednesday, and if the vet says its all cleared up, hopefully, it will be Friday morning when I take her in and Saturday afternoon she'll come home, in her cone, all spayed. And mommy will never have to worry about boys taking advantage of my beautiful girl again!!
I always say "If I were a dog, I'd want my dogs too." They are absolutely beautiful, both of them. Now, I'm gonna find some pitures to post and show them off. :clown: