Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to train an outdoor cat to go to the door

Kevdar
November 25th, 2004, 02:46 PM
We have a barn cat that we are very attached to and it has been in the house more and more. It knows nothind about litter boxes and ideally we'd like to train it to go to the door when it has to "go". Any advice on how to do this?

GsdDiamond
November 25th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Usually if you place a cat in a room with a littler box they know how to use it if you put their "mess" in it and show it to them.

We never trained our cat to go out when I was growing up. It just knew that the dirt outside was where it was supposed to go. Seeing as your cat is a reformed barn cat, it should want to go outside automatically.

Weather permitting, leave the inside door open with the window open. The cat should meow to go out. While outside, it should do its business. Once it sits at the door again to come in, let it in and show it where the litter box is again.

It's been a real long time since I've trained a cat to do anything, let alone litter training, so the other members here may have WAY better advice to give you!

Good luck either way!!!

Kevdar
November 25th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks, we'll try that........ I throw him out all the time but we still find surprises so he is not getting the door thing.

anniebananie
November 25th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I don't know how you can train one to ask - two of mine do ask - they come and stare at me. They are half simese, so more like dogs in this respect - but they always ask. We do have a litter box of two in the house, but my other cat doesn't like them using it (he will jump on them mid pee) so perhaps they feel safer using the out doors. They especailly love the snow. You could always try plain dirt in tray by the door - and if the cat shows interest in it, then open the door and put it out...then move the tray outside...all very gradual...and he might start asking you to use it.

Hope something works

Anne :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
November 25th, 2004, 06:17 PM
I have trapped and brought in adult feral cats who had NEVER been in a house or even seen a litterbox.

Cats instinctively want to bury their "business" and will use a litterbox if there is no choice, since that is the only place for them to dig. Not one of my feral cats has ever failed to use the box.

If this cat isn't neutered, get him neutered first.

Put him in a small room - laundry room, bath room, with a litterbox and he will use it.