Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

14yr old Brittaney Spaniel "dirtying on floor"

Kevdar
November 25th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Hi! I have an older dog who is still relatively health with the exception of a few elderly traits. Just recently, the past 2 weeks probably, she has started pooping in the house. Last night she had just been outside but did it in the house. Has anyone had this happen? Is she losing control of your bowel movements? We don't know if her days should be numbered.......... :(

Writing4Fun
November 25th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Hi there. I suggest you take her to the vet and have her checked for any physical ailments that might cause this issue. If she is otherwise healthy, then I would suggest you take a look at your lifestyle. Have their been any changes recently (ex. a move, new family member, change in family member, etc...) that might cause her stress? What are the "elderly traits" you mentioned?

Kevdar
November 25th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Well is going a little blind and is a bit senile........ Had a car accident in August, so her arthiritis is a little bad in her back end. But it has been a few months so I doubt this problem stems from this........ I had heard this is an elderly trait, losing control???????

CyberKitten
November 25th, 2004, 01:47 PM
I would tske her her to the vet. Our fox terrier (from when I was young) developed that prob as she aged- she was 19 at the time - and we made her doggie diapers. Now you can buy them of course. She hated to do it but we always comforted her after, told her we knew she was being a good girl and she adjusted to the diapers. She lived to be 22, an old doggie and this was pre glucausamine days but she had a heating pad, NSAIDs, and so on.

Your may just be a bowel or digestive prob more esily fixed tho. They have great meds these days -

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 01:47 PM
For her back end you could give a glucosamine and condriton supplement within a short time you will see a difference in her. She will have less pain and more ease of movement. You can buy the supplements at walmart dont buy them in the pet stores way to expensive for the same product.

Kevdar
November 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the advice! we'll try some diapers and drugs, I was wondering if we could give that to dogs. :)

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Most supplement can be given but I would always check with your vet just to be sure. I give my guy glucosamine, flax seed oil or Omega 3&6's. For dosage I give half of what is recommended by weight and will increase if I think he needs more.

Writing4Fun
November 25th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Absolutely! Please take her to the vet before trying the diapers and drugs.

Mastifflover, do you think glucosamine would help a 4yr old GSD with hip dysplasia? :( I believe he's already on anti-inflamatories, but they're $200 a pop and the owner can't afford that every ten days.

GsdDiamond
November 25th, 2004, 02:03 PM
If the Vet rules out physical ailments, then I would say its because of her age. According to the web, Brittany's live for 10-12 years. Since yours is 14, I'd say she's lived a very full life and it may just be old age.

Keep us posted to what the Vet says! :)

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 02:08 PM
It helps a lot and if the dog has HD I would use full dosage instead of half

Kevdar
November 25th, 2004, 02:09 PM
I will! I love this site! I hope I can return some advice in the future. :)

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 02:14 PM
We are all here to help each other out. There is another supplement for HD I will try and find out the name of it and let you know.

GsdDiamond
November 25th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Mastifflover, do you think glucosamine would help a 4yr old GSD with hip dysplasia? :( I believe he's already on anti-inflamatories, but they're $200 a pop and the owner can't afford that every ten days.

Has the Vet ruled out the operation to fix the hips? Almost every Vet will entertain the idea of payments. Perhaps this could be an option for the owner as the dog, healthy anyways, could live up to 12 years or more.

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Here is the recipe for HD supplement which 2 friends with Mastiff swear by and have given their dogs a new lease on life. They have so much more movement and easier times getting up. I would have the surgery if it is an option.
1000 mgs of Glucosamine
400 mgs of Condriton
if possible with shark cartlidge but warning this can give major gas to some.
1000 mgs of Ester Vitamin C works as an anti inflamatory but their skin gets a bit dry so you might have to add one of these 3 Omega 3's or fish oil not cod liver oil, or flax seed oil. I would go for the omegas but that is just a matter of choice and cost. If your friend shops at costco this is the best place to buy this stuff you can get there own brand Kirkland Series worth the price of membership.