Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Did I miss something?

Copper'sMom
November 25th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Has anyone heard what was the last Pit Bull attack involving a 9 year old boy who's mom says she is now for the ban? All I've heard from other people is the pit was a family pet and attacked their son. I must have missed the news on this day! It happened in hamilton or cambridge not sure which.

lezzpezz
November 25th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Here's one story that may be the one you are seeking:

This one dated Monday Nov. 22/04 from CKCO news online:

DOG ATTACK

A Hamilton mother says she will have her pit bull put down after it attacked her nine-year-old son.

Dallas Ramsell Murray was playing with the dog on Saturday night when it bit his ear, shoulder, thigh and buttocks.

Wendy Murray says Dallas was playing with the dog in his living room when the dog went berserk and began biting the boy.

A neighbour heard screams and rushed over and punched the dog in the face to get it to back off.

And another:

http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2004/11/18/pCanada110.raw.html

lezzpezz
November 25th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Reply | Read more
After attack, ex-pit bull fan wants dog killed
Alberta, Canada -- A nine-year-old boy is recovering at home after being attacked by his pet pit bull terrier. Once a supporter of the breed, the boy's mother says she isn't taking any chances and will have the dog - a two-year-old Staffordshire terrier - put down to protect her son.

"I had the option to bring Sasha, but no way am I having her back in this house," said Wendy Murray of her dog.

"I couldn't trust her again. I just thank God it was my son's leg and not his throat."

Murray's son, Dallas Ramsell, and Sasha were playing in the living room of the family's home Saturday night when the boy called the dog over to the couch. The dog was licking the boy's ear when it bit down on the lobe, causing it to bleed slightly.

Dallas Ramsell went into the kitchen to show his babysitter the blood and the dog suddenly went berserk. It lunged at the boy again and bit him on the shoulder, the thigh and buttocks.

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I don't believe it what did the kid do. My dog has nipped me while playing not on purpose. But their is something missing from this story. I guess it is sort of like the English Mastiff who attacked a kid that it was brought up. The parents had the dog put down but wanted an necropsy guess what the kid jammed a pencil in the dogs ear which could not be seen by anyone so imagine how deep that it was.

Copper'sMom
November 25th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I'm with you, Mastifflover. Something else happened.......they just don't know what!

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Well that happens when you leave a child unattended with a pet. Make they should ban irresponsible parents and babysitters.

Faceless
November 25th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Like I stated in the other thread about this incident, the mother was irresponsible because she allowed her child alone with the dog unsupervised. Now, she's shifting all the blame onto the dog, and taking none herself.

Pathetic.

whinnie-boo
November 25th, 2004, 03:42 PM
I so agree, where was the babysitter? did the dog go nuts because he tasted the blood? What did the little boy do? The problem is no one knows, because no one saw. Do you think a 9 year old boy is going to be truthful if he hit the dog, or pulled its ears? I highly doubt it, he's porbably terrified of getting in trouble for hurting the dog, so he says the dog did it for no reason. I never doubt that my 2 Pits are capable of the worst, but I also never give them the opportunity to be in a situation like that. The number one rule to owning a Pitbull is "Never doubt that your dog will fight, or defend itself" and an experienced owner will never break this rule, especially with their own 2 legged children are involved. Second and most important is "Never leave your dog unattended with Children" Seems to me, neither of the golden rules were followed, and now the Dog is paying with its life. SO SAD.

Like I stated in the other thread about this incident, the mother was irresponsible because she allowed her child alone with the dog unsupervised. Now, she's shifting all the blame onto the dog, and taking none herself.

Pathetic.

whinnie-boo
November 25th, 2004, 03:51 PM
A-g Byrant Needs To Bring Licences In To Breed Animals As Well As Children.

Schwinn
November 25th, 2004, 05:55 PM
I have no doubt I could leave Daisy alone in a room full of children and nothing would happen. I also would never give her the opportunity to prove me wrong.

My question is this--did it happen outside, or inside? I've heard two versions, one of it happening in the back yard, the other of it happening in the living room in front of the babysitter?

Loki
November 25th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I think there were two different attacks. One in Cambridge and one in Hamilton.
This link is to the story from Hamilton but it references the Cambridge incident.
(I think the Cambridge attack was the kid delivering papers, but I'm not sure)
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2004/11/22/725432.html

When Global interviewed the child( Hamilton incedent) he said he was "wrestling with the dog" in the living room.
The mother told the Sun that he was "playing" with the dog.

Schwinn
November 25th, 2004, 10:29 PM
The attack in Cambridge was a newspaper boy. There was definitely a report for an attack where the boy was attacked in the back yard, and it was in Hamiltion. I'm sure it was the same people, but I'm finding this all kind of confusing... :confused:

Rottimom
November 25th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Schwinn I dont know about an attack in Cambridge but the one in Hamilton apparently did happen in the boys living room on the couch. The news reported that the boy called the dog over to the couch (notice how the details changed once again) when the dog nipped his ear drawing blood. When the boy went to show the babysitter the blood the dog apparently went "berserk." Like Mastifflovers story about the dog who bit the baby then they found that the baby had jabbed a pencil in the dogs ear you really have to wonder what "really" provoked this. SO sad.

My brother and sister in law have a red nose pitter. Gorgeous dog whose worst offense is the tongue bath you receive when you visit. Recently they had a b-day party for their 1 year old baby. All the kids were playing in the yard with the dog. When I realized there were no adults out there with them, I stayed outside to personally supervise. I couldnt believe that nobody else seemed to feel that supervision was necessary. (And I dont care what kind of dog it is). WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN???

babyrocky1
November 25th, 2004, 11:19 PM
When I realized there were no adults out there with them, I stayed outside to personally supervise. I couldnt believe that nobody else seemed to feel that supervision was necessary. (And I dont care what kind of dog it is). WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN???
I have a 21 month old (two in feb) and a staff rocky as you might beable to see in the pic. We ALWAYS supervise the baby and the dog. On another note The other day I opened the door to the hall for my son to go out and a woman on my floor has a poodle. She had tied his 10 foot leash to a shopping cart in the hall unsupervised. When my son went out the poodle ran to him barking and about to jump on him and god knows whatelse(he's VERRY poorly trained) but I scooped up my son intime. Now if that were my dog it would have made the headlines LOL. Also one more quick story about stupidity I was walking my dog and this woman had a baby in a stroller and pushed the stroller into my dog almost running him over and goes "look at the doggie" I was like You dont do that to a dog and got quite mad at her Just thinking about that lady makes me laugh how crazy is that?!?!??!
PEOPLE GEESH!!!

mastifflover
November 26th, 2004, 10:31 AM
I'm telling you Michael Bryant has it all wrong ban irresponsible parents and leave our dogs alone.

Copper'sMom
November 26th, 2004, 12:30 PM
NO DOGS should ever be left unattended with children no matter how gentle the dog is. Children are extremely curious little critters and when an adult is not present, they like to "see what happens" if they pull the dog's tail(to see if it will come off) or will a dog cry if you poke it's eye! If I have to go to the bathroom when my dog is around my nephews, I'll take the dog with me. It's that "one time" that could make or break the situation.

Rottimom
November 26th, 2004, 01:36 PM
ditto mastiff & copper