Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Casey barking at strangers in the house

moontamara
November 25th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Okay, okay -- of course he barks at strangers in the house -- he is a dog, after all (7month toy poodle). But this is new. He used to greet people coming in just slightly more wary than if we met them on the street (when he is all waggles and smiles) and quickly warmed up to anyone. But lately we've been showing our apartment, hoping to get it rented. The other day the real estate guy let himself in while I was in the shower, which made Casey kind of upset, understandably -- so was I! :eek: But today some women came to see it, and one of them even tried to pet him, and he just barked at her. I was holding him -- I usually pick him up when someone comes to the door -- mostly because in the past he would scare some people with his happy greeting.

I don't mind him showing his territorial instincts to a degree -- I felt rather lovingly protected. Of course, the timing couldn't be worse for him to develop this part of his personality! How can I show him that the stranger is indeed okay, and that he should relax? Also, I wonder what happens when the real estate guy shows the apartment when I'm not home -- perhaps they have developed enough of a relationshp that it's okay? I'm not sure...

I don't know if this makes any difference, but he's also still getting used to my husband's absence -- at times he seems rather listless and he often sits outside our closed bedroom door staring at it, as if he's waiting for the other member of our family to finally wake up and come out! It's so sweet, and pretty heartwrenching too! :sad:

Anyway other dog owners -- how do you deal with your dog's protective instincts???

moontamara
November 25th, 2004, 04:29 AM
please help!

Shaykeija
November 25th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Missie does the same thing. She is half toy poodle and have mini terrier. She barks at everyone but as soon as they sit down she is ok. my husband says that she seems not to like anyone standing over me. As soon as she warms up to the person she is fine with them. Any suggestions on how to stop this is welcome. Most of the time I just put her in my coat if we are outside. She isn't aggressive just noisy. :crazy:

Lucky Rescue
November 25th, 2004, 09:43 AM
I was holding him -- I usually pick him up when someone comes to the door -

I have one suggestion - stop doing this. Picking him up elevates his position in your home and he may not be comfortable with that.

Leave him on the floor. Tell people to ignore him, and physically block him from rushing up to anyone and make him sit to calm him down. If you need to leash him, then do that.

Having strangers coming to your home, especially when you're not there has probably upset him and made him nervous.

On the days when you know the house is being shown it would be better to leave him in his crate if he has one

moontamara
November 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM
I have one suggestion - stop doing this. Picking him up elevates his position in your home and he may not be comfortable with that.

Leave him on the floor. Tell people to ignore him, and physically block him from rushing up to anyone and make him sit to calm him down. If you need to leash him, then do that.

Having strangers coming to your home, especially when you're not there has probably upset him and made him nervous.

On the days when you know the house is being shown it would be better to leave him in his crate if he has one

Thanks Lucky Rescue!

He has a crate, but he's learned to escape it -- he also has a kennel cab but it was bought for the size I was told he'd be, not for the size he is, so while I let him use it, I'm not comfortable forcing him to stay in there... fortunately, I'm usually able to stay home with him.

I thought you might say that about picking him up -- I'll try leashing him next time (while I'm home, not when I'm gone of course).

I suspect he naturally goes into his kennel cab when they come in and I'm not home, and barks at them from there.

Thanks again!!!