Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

im so stressed i feel sick

melanie
November 24th, 2004, 09:23 PM
:sick: :sick: oh boy, its crunch time and i am totally feeling it, i think i am going crazy. i have 11days till my thesis is due, after 3yrs of work and i am at breaking point.

god im bad, i shouldnt even be here, such the procrastinator, thats whats wrong with me you know :eek:

i cant sleep, i cant eat, i have butterflies in my stomach constantly, my teeth are grinding into stubbs, i am fidgetty all the time and i am a wreck. ohhhh this is so hard, i feel soooo sick.

i havent slept properly in ages, i cant sleep at all really. 4 hours and im awake, everynight i have nightmares of typing errors and paragraphs with the wrong formation or not linking or anythign else..

i jsut wish i could relax, i have tried but i jsut cnat. i suppose i must just suffer for the next week and a bit. i just have os many terrible thoughts, and am so worried something wil lgo wrong, but it wont but i jsut cant seem to convince myself, stupid brain, i wish i could pull it out and pop it in a jar for the day.

and my supervisor is no help, i think postgraduate students must be the toilet paper of the academic, oh dear :rolleyes: :eek:

oh i feel sooo sick. (i cant tell anyone this in my life, i cant say it out loud, verbalising is not good for fears and if i dont say it it wont happen now will it, but if i write it that is a whole diff ball game :D )

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh (mel screams as she runs around the back yard in circles screaming, charlie has a very worried look on her face and is trying to unlatch the gate and escape :D )

Writing4Fun
November 24th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Oh, Mel! I've never had to write a thesis, but I have been where you are a few times before (Queen of Procrastination, coming through!).

You have 11 days left, right? Take a deep breath and plow through it right now. Try to get as much done in the next few days as you possibly can. Then, take a couple of days to catch up on your sleep. Once your brain is refreshed, pull it back out again and go through it with a fresh outlook and a fine-toothed comb. Once you submit it, have a really wicked party, and then sleep for a week.

That's my advice, for what it's worth. ;)

Bearsmom
November 24th, 2004, 09:38 PM
BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT. BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT.

You'll be fine. 3 years of work is just coming to an end. You'll be granted your masters, and THEN you'll probably sleep for 3 weeks.

Good luck!

Gazoo
November 24th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Is it too early to start worrying about your dissertation? :p

melanie
November 24th, 2004, 10:17 PM
:D oh your cheeky :D it is all done done done, except the odd typo which i am chasing down, that and my stupid location maps, gosh they are killing me.

and i dont have to defend the stupid thing thank god, thats not done in this degree or my school. that is unless i have stuffed it, then i will have to defend my work or fail, ahhhh.

oh my neck hurts, my brain hurts, but i have not yet had an anurism or anythign so things are looking good :eek: :eek:

Bearsmom
November 24th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Breathe In, Breathe Out. Breathe In, Breathe Out. :d

Gazoo
November 24th, 2004, 10:31 PM
No No NO I meant your PhD Dissertation. :p :p

Gazoo
November 24th, 2004, 10:33 PM
BTW.................. what field?

melanie
November 24th, 2004, 10:42 PM
im not doing PHD for a year or two yet, i think i would rather stick a pen in my eye at the moment, it sounds far more comfortable., doing my masters but i had to do a qualifying process for the first year and that is why it has taken 3yrs. i am doing my study in the field of aboriginal tourism, i am looking at government Aboriginal tourism programs and policies used for the industry development in new south wales, australia which is where i live.

not very interesting but i think there is a link between aboriginal tourism, self esteem of culture and conservation weighting for plant and animal species, hard to explain but i do see a link and so dont mind the slight step left from my traditional field of environmental science. and anything to help reconciliation and the ppl of my land is cool with me, anythign to help is fine, the ppl of my land are very important to the ecological health of australia and so therefore anyhting to help in the strengthing of culture or esteem im happy to help.

but social sciences is really really boring so i wont being doing that again :D the enviroment is so much more interesting than humans. but im not doing my phd for a couple of years yet, im too crazy now to even think about it, the school asked if i wanted to but i told them to leave me alone for a while.

ah the stupid things we do to ourselves. oh i still feel sick, and will for the next week i suppose. my brain is going bad :D

CyberKitten
November 24th, 2004, 11:20 PM
This too shall pass Melanie, lol (Trust me, defending a thesis is not that bad!) I have come to the conclusion that acquiring academic degrees is not so much an indication of intelligence - just shows one can appropriately jump thru all the academic hoops. Just wait till you have to play academic politics- the real fun begins <Snicker>

Have fun!!

You WILL look back on this as one of the best times in your life!! It's all relative!

melanie
November 25th, 2004, 03:09 PM
cyberkitten i thouroughly agree (and if i had half a brain i would not be doing this :p ). i think doing any form of education is a system of process, as long as you stick to your list of 'things to do' during a study period i think most can succede. its just bloody stressful, the small bits really, like maps and stuff, you know the boring stuff that jsut seems sooooo difficult.

i actually left high school at 14yrs and 9 mths, thati s the youngest you can do it here. i bummed around doing scab jobs an getting paid crap, not going anywhere as i had no education, and being treated as a less of a person because i had no educaiton an little understanding. so after realising there was not much going for me, i went back and did school certificate at the public college system here(tafe) and did numrous courses to build a skill base and eventually lead to uni. so it has been a long and interesting road, but i odnt regret it, i am glad i have choices now, i can work in the supermarket if i want, not because i have no choice,

i can choose to do anythign, and i think that is important, even if i did nothing at least i had the opertunities, more than many woman in this world ( my own mother cant read severe dyslexia and learning probs, not to mention those living in patriachial societies that have no choice anyway)), and freedom and self determination are so important for woman, so unlike the woman who fought to get me here, i have a world of choice. not to mention i am living and breathing for my country, that is sooo important to me, to fix or help fix our problems.

but back to my stressful days, it s just the end of something big so that will always be stressful i suppose. thanks for the encouragement guys. :D

Gazoo
November 25th, 2004, 09:59 PM
i am doing my study in the field of aboriginal tourism, i am looking at government Aboriginal tourism programs and policies used for the industry development in new south wales, australia which is where i live.

not very interesting but i think there is a link between aboriginal tourism, self esteem of culture and conservation weighting for plant and animal species, hard to explain but i do see a link and so dont mind the slight step left from my traditional field of environmental science. and anything to help reconciliation and the ppl of my land is cool with me, anythign to help is fine, the ppl of my land are very important to the ecological health of australia and so therefore anyhting to help in the strengthing of culture or esteem im happy to help.

but social sciences is really really boring so i wont being doing that again :D the enviroment is so much more interesting than humans. but im not doing my phd for a couple of years yet, im too crazy now to even think about it, the school asked if i wanted to but i told them to leave me alone for a while.

ah the stupid things we do to ourselves. oh i still feel sick, and will for the next week i suppose. my brain is going bad :D

Sounds interesting. Good luck on the defense.

OdinAndAlan
November 25th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Try taking some time away from the academic work. Do you have any heavy textbooks? if you do take 2 and just run around with them for a while. That should tire you out enough to relax. Another trick I learned is to accept that whatever happens will happen. Take a few hours off, then keep plugging away. With all the work you've done, do you really think it possible to not get your masters?

wAggie
November 26th, 2004, 12:53 AM
I got a social work exam dec. 9 at 8am

I've STOPPED reading the text after my second class!!! ( :eek: I can't believe I just admitted that!! :eek: :eek: )

mel, I'll hold ur hand, while u hold me...!!!

it's just suuuuuuuuuuch a drag to go study at the library, NOTHING gets done w 2 dogs runnin' around the haus :o :o ... or maybe it's mommy running after the doggies... can't remember... s'all a blur, really! :thumbs up

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELp!

tell me what motivated y'all to get up and go do something u DONT feel like doing??

Luvmypit
November 26th, 2004, 09:58 AM
What always helps me get over such big scary tasks is to remeber that when its done Im done. I can relax. I tell myself I only have to feel this way and stress for another week and then Its over. Never again. So you should take comfort that one day you won't have to worry about all this . This is just a little stepping stone and you just happen to have really big boots on.

louie's mum
November 26th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Melanie ....

woman, u r awesome!
although i think that word is so overused these days, it's the only one that comes to mind after reading ur history.
treat urself to a warm wonderfully scented (lavender helps) bubble bath, a glass of wine (or 2 or 3), lots of candles and pop ur favorite disc in the player.
FORCE urself to STAY! (hey ... we expect the puppies to do it !! ;) ) let the warm soapy water rinse ur brain of all that's muddying u up lol
congratulations girl. what's the expression ...
u've come a long way baby!

CyberKitten
November 26th, 2004, 01:53 PM
I honestly do not think reading at the last minutes helps. Relax. One of the best marks I ever rec'd on an exam was when I went to a party the night before. (But do not overdo it, one glass of wine is preferable). As long as you;'ve kept up with the work all year, trying to rush at the last minute only makes it worse!

That's been my experience anyway. The night before an exam, I woiuld go over my notes, review the nost important info (assuming you have made notes about what is likely to be on the exam- some profs - I do - give ideas and topics that will be on the exam) and go to bed early. You'll be rested and relexed. And do much better!!

Good luck!

melanie
November 26th, 2004, 03:50 PM
:D oh waggie my love, exams, oh dear. i am sooo glad i dont have exams any more, boy at one stage i had failed a subject in uni and had to do the 5 subs in one semester, i ended up doing over 25exams in a 3 week period becuase of stupid chemistry, it required so many practicle exams, ahhhh, im so glad i dont have em. but i am here, holding your hand, and remember to jsut breath in the exam, i am one of these ppl that make up acronyms and songs for all the big processes, i never studdied on the morning of exam, but i did go over all of my songs, i fond a good and silly osng really helps me. dont worry, im sending all my good and smart vibes your way, you will be fine, i cna feel it in me waters :D

odin and alen, what a good idea, i cna run aroudn with weighty books, that is a very good one, i do excersise alot but it is summer here so cant do it in the mid day sun, so that will give me an indoor thing i am also doing tai boe by billy blanks, that is good for tiring out too, im so highly strung i jsut need to get rid of anyy energy, thank you very much. and no i have not done anything to fail, the way i see it if you work consistantly for 3 yrs you will have the inof there anyway, how could you not? no i have voiced these worries to my supervisor, he keeps telling me to stop it and that i will pass with flying colors, but you know there is always doubt, jsut becuase it is so big, thats all.

luvmy pit, i tell my self that daily, i have accepted i cant escape the stress so i will jsut ride it for another week, and hety one day when i have some huge career and am crazy with work, i will look back and think this was just a holiday, im sure i will. although i am trying to enjoy the next week a bit more, get into the stress and all that you know generate some vibs and energy from the tension and then use it for a bit of adrenaline and gumption, just os i can truly appreciate how lucky i am, and then paaarrrrrrtttttyyyyyyy for me. :party: and really i am so lucky for this opperatunity, so i am grateful.

louiesmum, thanks lovely. i appreciate the encouragement. and do you know what really inspires me, the last priminister of australia (paul keating my favourite) had the same level of educaiton as me, he left school very young and went back and did exactly what i did at community college, so i fugure if he can become priminster i can do aything too, he is a huge inspiration for me, it jsut shows that one really can do anything. and i know about him, when i was only 18yr old, so it was a bit of encouragement at the time, i spent alot of time thinking about paul keating at that time, it really helped in the hard times to bring back the focus.

and be damed if i am going to let any one, government or plain lack or trying determine my life for me, i control my life, and that is the coolest thing around if you ask me. :D

now my darlin waggie, i am thinking of you, and sending all my spare vibes missy, so dont worry too much, have faith in your brain, it is all in there you know . i found i used to talk my brain into action when i did exams, i used to say over and over again 'my brain is a wonderful organ, that knows all and i know all it knows' :D it did help occassionally, esp when i would forget my name out of stress :D :D

wAggie
November 27th, 2004, 10:47 PM
HHEHEHEHEHE, I often forget how OLD I am, I stress so much. Seriously! :eek:

melanie, I ReALLy appreciate what u've written to me.... :love:

unfortunately, the prof has NOT and will NOT tell us any topics/issues/readings that will be on the exam. This Tuesday, my last class til January, I will find out the structure of this exam... :confused:

ah well, what I will do is create funny stories to help me jog my memory on that early Dec. 9/04... lol

ANNNNNNNND this: 'my brain is a wonderful organ, that knows all and i know all it knows'

xoxoxoxo, thanx melanie from au-str-ay!!! :D :D :D

glasslass
November 29th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Just tell yourselves that you thrive on stress, all the adrenaline pumping, living on the edge, yada yada. You do your best work under stress! Now, BELIEVE it!! :thumbs up

melanie
November 29th, 2004, 08:48 PM
thanks beautiful lady, we certainly will, AHHHHH I CAN DO ANYTHING.....(mel runs around flexing muscles flies out the door and runs down the street screaming with a powerful voice) ahhhhhhhhhh 5 days to go.

glasslass
December 5th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Mel? Did you get it done? Did you survive???? You must be c e l e b r a t i n g ! ! ! I need to know!!!!

chico2
December 5th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Yes Mel,we are all waiting with anticipation :thumbs up
When you become PM of Aussie-Land,we can all say "We knew you when..." :D

glasslass
December 8th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Bump to the top! We need to know!

melanie
December 11th, 2004, 08:17 PM
hi guys, jsut a very quick note, my computer is dead, it died week ago friday, day before i left to hand in thesis, but it all got done in the end andi just got back after 2800 KM trip boy what a long one, , can only use public library comp at the mo but will pop in and say hi soon. yippee skippee im free and lovin it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS all and i will pop in sooner or later.

glasslass
December 11th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Thank goodness your computer waited to die after you were all done! Thanks for the update Mel and hope you get all repairs completed soon! Missed you!

Karin
December 11th, 2004, 09:08 PM
I was getting worried....about to send out a search & rescue team...(dog sniffer's of course)

Then I thought you joined Sammi & Luba. We would need a posse for that, I can't drag everybody back by myself ya know? I am weak!

Then I blamed my dryer.....that's where everything disappears !

Black Holes are out...new studies in process...I can't rely on them anymore, not even for an excuse.

I figured you would resurface soon...

Good luck with the computer....stay away long and we will hunt you down too...

wAggie
December 11th, 2004, 11:04 PM
omgggg. congrats melanie!! :crazy:

it's ALL over... for now ;) lol, as always, eh?

my exam actually went MUCH MUCH better than I expected... lol
studying helps. of course, :thumbs up