Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

You're buying THREE puppies??!

lil_kirk
November 24th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Ok...so tonight I went to the mall and as I was walking by the pet store I saw that the staff had numerous dogs out of their window boxes...so naturally I went in to see what was going on.

It turned out that one man with three children aged 5 was buying not one, not two, but three Lasa Apso's for his kids. One for each!

Isn't that just crazy...how will they manage? How will they train them?

It just goes to show that these stores don't care where their dogs go one bit...while these people may have a good intent or be financially able to afford these dogs, is this really fair to anyone?

I'm sorry if this happens to be one of you on this board...but really...come on!

CyberKitten
November 24th, 2004, 08:12 PM
My brother's gf has one lassa apsa and a 6 year old and the dog has lots of lassatude even tho she is well trained. Three with three children, yikes!!!!

Hound_Dog
November 24th, 2004, 09:11 PM
I fully agree that the pet store is one hundred percent wrong in selling three puppies to one person at a time. I think that the bigger problem is the man who bought them in the first place...obviously he doesn't realize that he is supporting people who don't care about the puppies' welfare. I could see these dogs winding up for adoption. It's really sad...I wonder how much of this was an impulse buy?

lil_kirk
November 24th, 2004, 09:32 PM
All I know is that 800 plus tax per puppy is a lot of money for an unregistered, and for that matter, unidentifed puppy.

Hound_Dog
November 24th, 2004, 10:25 PM
I just can't get over how expensive puppies are...I realize that they are probably charging what should be charged for a puppy, but you can get certain unregistered purebreds here in Korea for under a $100. One pet store/breeder was charging about $50 for a pure ****er Spaniel and $80 for a pure Shi Tzu. All of the dogs are unregistered, and I would never buy from a place like that but it sure seems like there is a huge difference in price.

Bugsy
November 25th, 2004, 03:51 AM
I prefer to live in my bubble and hope he keeps them. How lucky they would be to not only have 3 children to dote over them but also each other to play with...... puppy heaven. :D

raingirl
November 25th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Only $800 per puppy? The pets stores where I live sell puppies for over $2000!! (like PJ's). That person must have money.

I can't imagine 3 puppies at once! Too much. I'm afraid to take on even one!

r0amy0
November 25th, 2004, 08:39 AM
for real...
I passed by PJ's and Pugs werre going for $2500, and English Bulldogs were going for $5000, and Jack Russels for $900, shih tzus for $1400 :eek:

Really with that kind of money, why not get a show quality dog from a breeder with papers, shots, and genetic testing, and provide it with the best vet and food that money can buy...

LavenderRott
November 25th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Isn't that just crazy...how will they manage? How will they train them?

Please! The man is buying pet shop puppies for 5 year olds. I can assure you that training is not something that has crossed this man's mind. I am willing to bet that he expects them to be housebroken already.

Wonder what the mother of these children is going to think about this pre-Christmas purchase?

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Funny Lucky I was thinking bet he is a divorced dad and kids live with mom. So he is the best dad in the world and she gets to be the one to do all the work. Yes I find it very disturbing that they would sell him 3 puppies. I know a very daft girl who bought a Neo and paid 4500. at PJ's when she could have gone to a breeder and paid about 2500.00 for a pet quality.

jackieb
November 25th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I still cant get over the fact they sell dogs in shops full stop being from england. But 3 wow what alot of money and the poor dogs i have 3 children i could cope with one puppy but would never get 3 couldnt afford to anyway lol!!

r0amy0
November 25th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Funny Lucky I was thinking bet he is a divorced dad and kids live with mom. So he is the best dad in the world and she gets to be the one to do all the work. .

is the "Divorced dad" symbolic of Michael Bryant? you fill in the rest! ;)

doggy lover
November 25th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Come to think of it I have never seen dogs for sale in stores in England. I have seen dogs in PJ's pets start out at $2500 and keep dropping in price as they get older and start losing the little puppy look. There was a Bernese Mountain dog there once and his price dropped to under $1500 as he got bigger. I felt so sorry for him. :sad: He was locked in the cage for so long, he could have done with a bigger one.

lil_kirk
November 25th, 2004, 10:49 AM
I've never heard of PJ's. Those are outrageous prices...how do they warrant charging that much? How do they validate that at all?? For that much money I'd expect a spayed or neutered house trained pup who can do the dishes and vacuum while I'm out!!!

jackieb
November 25th, 2004, 11:09 AM
England has quite strick laws on what they can sell no cats kittens puppys etc they sell snakes insects etc.

doggy lover
November 25th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Pj's is a pet store in quite a few of our larger malls here in Toronto, and yes they sell pups for outraigous prices if people only used their heads they could get a pup from a breeder at a lower price. The only thing I can think of is that they don't want all the questions from a breeder, or the rules, and stores only care about selling. I can't think of any breeder who would sell someone three puppies.

Lucky Rescue
November 25th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Those are outrageous prices...how do they warrant charging that much?

And why not, if people willingly pay it? Pet stores are a business and most care nothing about the animals, they are merely merchandise that must be moved.

This will not stop until people stop buying these puppies and kittens.

Those three lhasas will no doubt make the grand tour - puppy mill to pet store to new owner to shelter, once these people find out that puppies pee, poop, chew and make messes and are nothing like children's other toys.

Sorry I'm feeling a little bitter today.

Ling
November 25th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Three puppies! OMG!
I'm hoping for the best for them as they would be in puppy heaven romping and playing with 3 children and their other siblings, but holy boy - that's a lot of time and energy to train them.
Crossing my fingers and toes for them.

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 12:36 PM
For some reason which I do not understand people seem to think that it is easier to train a small dog than a large one. Which we all know is not true but then we are not shopping at BYB or puppymill(pet store)

CyberKitten
November 25th, 2004, 02:54 PM
You have every right to feel bitter now and then Lucky, seeing alld the animals come in to your rescue!! It is so sad!! People do not understand about buying at a pet store. You'd think they'd research at least!!

Yin Yin in Show quality but I just fell in love with her! (Tho it might be fun to attend a cat show. Freinds went to the one in NYC this yr and had a great time - they were not showing their cats, just observing). It is a great venue to learn about the different breeds.