Oh how I love Ontario
When the snows up to your butt.
You take a beath of winter air,
your nose just freezes shut :D .

Yes the weather here is wonderful
I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Ontario....
I'm frozen to the ground !! :eek:

Having our First Winter storm tonight Nov 24th, snow, freezing rain and very windy... can't wear a wig for sure :p

Schwinn
November 24th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Windsor?? Bah! You don't know winter! (I know, because I lived down there for about 12 years! ;) )

I moved up here, and actually lost my car in a snow bank! But you know what, I'd rather be up here than down there. Your roads are more treacherous. Even if you do only get spring, summer, fall and slush! ;)

Just giving you a hard time. I understand that I have a storm to look forward to on the way home tonight. Suddenly I realised that putting the snows on the truck tomorrow might be one day too late!

louie's mum
November 24th, 2004, 06:40 PM
hey terrie. i'm in windsor too. it's absolutely pouring what must be freezing rain right now where i am. have u seen snow? i haven't. :mad:
i always get disappointed when they say we're in for a snow storm ... bah is right. it always seems to skirt us. i realize it's probably a good thing but i'd love to have winter's like we did when we were kids. windsor used to have pretty good winters - lots of snow days. not anymore. just like schwinn said ... slush days ... blah :rolleyes:
mind u if this rain keeps up there may be some power problems ... hope not!
happy thanksgiving to our american friends. i still celebrate both sets of holidays since i have a bad memory and can't always keep track of where i AM.! (i could hide my own easter eggs ;) ) well .... that, and i love turkey :D

coonlover
November 24th, 2004, 06:50 PM
You are so right, I grew up in Windsor and I remember having so much snow and lost of snow days the snow banks were huge, maybe its because i was smaller Its freezing rain and windy here in brantford right now :(

louie's mum
November 24th, 2004, 06:52 PM
maybe its because i was smaller Its freezing rain and windy here in brantford right now :(

i always wondered the same thing but i think it's global warming but don't get me started on THAT subject ;)

Writing4Fun
November 24th, 2004, 08:13 PM
It actually is because you were smaller back then. I have a pic of my son and niece standing at the back door last winter. The snow was up to their thighs. Twenty years from now, they'll be telling their kids "This is nothing! You should have seen the snow we had when we were kids!". :D

Bearsmom
November 24th, 2004, 08:39 PM
LMAO!!!! They're calling for 15cm of snow tonight in Orangeville. That does it, I'm moving to Arizona.

chico2
November 24th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Well,here in Oakville it's raining,raining and raining :sad: I almost wish it was snowing,I HATE rain,especially the freezing kind :evil:

Schwinn
November 25th, 2004, 05:10 PM
We got rain, ice, freezing rain, and today snow. Oh, as for the snowbanks? Last year when we lived in Wasaga Beach, they were over my head on the driveways. I didn't say Hi to my neighbour all winter!

How did Windsor make out?

maddoxies
November 25th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Granted, I lived in Toronto, but I REALLY discovered what winter was when I moved to Montreal. My first winter here, we had snow at Thanksgiving that stayed until after Easter.

Last Christmas Eve, I came barrelling into church in Oshawa, Ont, 2 minutes before services started (I had driven all the way from Montreal). I got these really weird looks from the ushers for a second, and then they said, "oh yeah, Ruth's sister, Montreal" Why?? Because I was wearing snowboots and a heavy winter coat. The grass was still green in Oshawa!

Driving back after Christmas, I stopped around Cornwall to let Champ out to pee. You should have seen the shock on his face when he jumped out of the car into snow ! :eek: He had gotten spoiled peeing on grass at Grama's house over the holidays.

My sister emailed a driving tip to me yesterday. Do not use cruise control if the roads are wet or icy. If the car loses traction, the cruise control will speed up, thinking you have slowed down and it could send you into a skid.

Remember winter driving rules !!! (Not to be confused with winter golf rules)
Be safe everyone

Writing4Fun
November 25th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Granted, I lived in Toronto, but I REALLY discovered what winter was when I moved to Montreal.
Amen, sister! Although I'm pretty sure the folks out East will argue that their winters are way more brutal (right CyberKitten?). How long have you lived there? Were you there for the lovely ice storm? Aren't the trips up the 401 soooo much fun? :rolleyes: Especially around Kingston at Christmas. :crazy:

jackieb
November 26th, 2004, 08:11 AM
well i will certainly find out what winter is this year im from southern england although i lived in West yorkshire for a year this was our worst winter. But boy will it be different this year i went skiing a couple of times and once to Austria this was my first experince of real snow more than a covering. I remember having snow on the downs near us in the winter id love to go sledging as a kid.

There was a programm on the other week about jamacans and other warm climate countrys people who had emmigrated here never seen snow never had cold. One guy was wearing 2 coats already and saying it was cold they were teaching theese people the dangers of snow how to walk on it etc it was really intresting as ive not ever driven on real snow!!! :eek:

louie's mum
November 26th, 2004, 08:22 AM
How did Windsor make out?
from what i remember ( ;) ) it was a long cold winter. had some snow but as i recall, all the BIG storms missed us and moved toronto's way.
jackieb ... it was wild when my ex husband and i moved to florida. we stayed in a hotel for a month and of course we were at the pool as long as the sun was shining. a couple of days the cleaning staff were walking around wearing parkas, mittens and hats and there we were in our bathing suits soaking it all up.
u could hear them muttering 'tourists' under their breath.
the first winter i was back here after living in such wonderful weather, i bundled up like an eskimo. it was awful - i just couldn't get warm. think i was wearing gloves in september and sweaters on august evenings ;-)

Iggette
November 26th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Terrie.....cool poem I loved it.

I helped my father in law when the ice storm hit near the Pembroke area it was so beautiful but yet so dangerous and had alot of people without power. Thankfully he lived on a lake and had a fireplace we were able to take the auger and drill a hole in the ice for water. Many people were not so lucky and had to gather in schools and rec centres.
He also had a small generator which has since been upgraded to a huge high end one to be able to run his furnace and other house appliances :thumbs up

Winter can be brutal in that area

Schwinn
November 26th, 2004, 11:09 AM
from what i remember ( ;) ) it was a long cold winter. had some snow but as i recall, all the BIG storms missed us and moved toronto's way.
jackieb ... it was wild when my ex husband and i moved to florida. we stayed in a hotel for a month and of course we were at the pool as long as the sun was shining. a couple of days the cleaning staff were walking around wearing parkas, mittens and hats and there we were in our bathing suits soaking it all up.
u could hear them muttering 'tourists' under their breath.
the first winter i was back here after living in such wonderful weather, i bundled up like an eskimo. it was awful - i just couldn't get warm. think i was wearing gloves in september and sweaters on august evenings ;-)

I remember my first winter I lived in Orillia after I was transferred from Leamington. I sent my old manager an e-mail to the effect of--

A guide to Celsius

0C--water freezes
-5C--heavy winter coat required
-10C--good winter gloves needed
-20C--noses freeze
-35C--brand new Chevy Z-24's don't start!

Oh, and that's without windchill!