Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SHUNTS Disease?

jewels9935
November 24th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know what the symptoms are for shunts disease? Daisy's test results came back negative for Addisons disease, now they are testing her for shunts disease. I have been trying to gather information on this disease but am failing to find anything. Also has anyone have any suggestions what could be wrong with Daisy cause obviously the vets are not having any luck. Her symptoms: 3 episodes of hospitalization since 8 weeks old. she is now 9 monts old. She was throwing up, refusing to drink or eat, very frail, shaking and wobbling unable to stand. These symtpoms come on all of a sudden and she seems to deterioate quickly where we have to hospitalize her, and they always put her on iv and she seems to respond well. last wednesday her kidneys were slightyl elevated, but by sunday when she was admitted they tested them again and they were normal. I am at my witts end with this, I just wish I had some answers. Thanks, Joyce :confused:

raingirl
November 24th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Do you know how to spell it? I did a google search and nothing comes up with that name, so I thought maybe it's spelt differently.

mastifflover
November 24th, 2004, 02:31 PM
What type of dog is daisy. Certain breeds are predisposed to certain illnesses might help to narrow down somethings.

doggab
November 24th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Hi Joyce,

I feel your anxiety. My puppy passed on at 6 mos. with a suspected shunt... rest her soul :angel: . Mastifflover is right, your pup has to be genetically predisposed. Our breeder has never had a litter with a shunt but if you look up common diseases in your breed you should be able to track down a few other diseases. We didn't have enough time to find out if it was definitely a shunt since we did not agree to an autopsy... to keep her in peace. But her symptoms were that she could barely stand on her legs, lethargic, and vomiting. All of her tests for everything else came negative so the vet came to a conclusion that it was most likely a shunt. Hope this helps... my prayers are with you.

doggab

CyberKitten
November 24th, 2004, 04:19 PM
It is shunt disease. Here is an article on it:

http://clubs.akc.org/astc/health/astchlth/astcshnt/

I really hope that is not the illness the dog has. Have the vet do many tests or get a second opinion please!

Have you contacted the breeder? (Did you get this puppy from a reputable breeder - there are probs if late with breeders selling puppies born from moms with liver shunt and they don't care!). It is gas-blood flow problem - sort of like pulmonary tests would show in humans with COPD only it affects the livers in canines. A vein bypasses the liver and returns blood (with toxins) into the vena cava.

The puppies with liver shunt tend to not want to eat, are wobbly on their feet, to be lethargic, may vomit and be nauseated, drink excessively, have kidney stones. (among others).

If you bought this puppy from a breeder, you need to contact them immediately!!

It seems to affect yorkies more than any other breed - I do not know why.

jewels9935
November 24th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Unfortunately I bought Daisy from a pet store, actually my daughter bought her. I tried to locate the breeder and their email address and phone number is no longer available. (not a good sighn) Daisy is a Jack Russel/ Poodle mix she is 9 months old and weighs 14 lbs. This is so upsetting. I just wish I knew what was wrong with her, so I could get her the proper treatment. Well we get the results back on Monday. Thanks everyone for your concern. I also feel terrible for the lil ones that have had to sufffer this horrible disease. Joyce :(

CyberKitten
November 24th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Oh dear!! There are some very specific tests you can ask your vet to test the kitty for shunt disease. PM me if you want more info on that.

Unfotunately, most puppies bought at pet stores are from by breeders or puppy mills and come with many many heartaches, sigh!!

I do wish you luck!! (and in trying to track down the breeder!!) If you know the pet store, you should let everyone know to avoid it!

doggab
November 24th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately I bought Daisy from a pet store, actually my daughter bought her. I tried to locate the breeder and their email address and phone number is no longer available. :(

:mad:

What?!? Did you speak with the owner or manager of the pet store with regards to this matter? They should have a log of the breeders and/or puppy mills that supply to them. You have to find out if this is genetic. Others who have purchased from the same litter as you also have a right to know that their fur babies might be at risk. Where are you located? Please look into this further... may I suggest contacting your local SPCA? Sorry to go off topic at a time of sorrow but someone has to be held accountable... I hold this topic close to my heart :love: . Let me know if I can help.

Bugsy
November 25th, 2004, 02:30 AM
:sorry: to hear this. What a terrible thing to have to deal with when a pup is still so young. My prayers are with you & a ((hug)) for your sweetie.

As far as liver shunts..I think a simple echo/ultrasound can rule this out.

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Doggab is right you need to contact the pet store and tell them you want this information and if they do not have it then either they find it or you will hold them financially responsible for the vet bills. Because you bought a puppy for I am sure way to much money and you expect a health guarantee. When you tell them that you will expect compensation I bet they find the BYB or puppymill the dog came from. Also my friend bought a pug at a pet store and after spending a fortune the first weekend she had him at the vets she was getting no satisfaction from the store so she told them she would be contacting Silverman Helps or Goldhawk they are scared of the media because they know what they are doing is unacceptable. They paid the vet bills which were around 1800.00. Go in there with the attitude that they will help and if they turn out not to care then go after them and let them know that you have all the time in the world to persue this matter even if you dont. They figure most people will just give up let them know that wont be happening.
I really hope everything turns out okay. I don't know where you are located but you could contact the University of Guelph Vetrinary Sciences and they are incredible great and deal with a lot of rare diseases and diagnosis it is a school so they dont charge huge amounts and really like to work with the challenging cases. What could be better than vets teaching others to become vets and all that knowledge in one place. I know people that have saved thousands which allowed them to save their dogs. Big hugs from Robin and Buddy

jewels9935
November 28th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Thankyou everyone for your concern.
The Vet called me to let me know that medically they cannot find anything wrong with Daisy. All tests came back negative for any diseases. The Vet is very puzzled by Daisy's last two episodes of her sickness.
As for now Daisy is back to her old self and their is no explanation for her recovery. I do have to say that I myself got on my knees and prayed for my poor lil baby. I just hope that we don't have to go through this again. I got so sick of my family telling me to put her down because she was costing sooooooooooo much money. I replied that when I adopt an animal it is a LIFE LONG COMMITMENT. That I will always see to it they get the best medical care no matter what the cost is. I am going to call the pet store, and try to get information about their breeders. I also am going to talk more to the Vet to see if we can find out what caused these episodes of illness. Thanks everyone, Joyce :thumbs up :thumbs up

Bugsy
November 28th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Woooooooooo Hooooooooooo !

CyberKitten
November 28th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Thx for sharing the great news!!

louie's mum
November 28th, 2004, 11:17 PM
great news is right. i'm sure it's been very troubling. extra hugs and kisses for ur baby. :love:

doggab
November 29th, 2004, 06:05 PM
:party: :party: :party:

Glad to hear the good news! Best wishes to the both of you!