Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Going to the vet after work - concerned - still has diarrhea...

Ling
November 24th, 2004, 12:32 PM
It's now been about 3 weeks where she's had diarrhea on an off.
I took her to the vet a couple days after it first started - he took a stool sample and came up with nothing. Took her temp - no fever. He gave me some puppy imodium stuff to give her for a few days, put her on some special Hills canned food I/D formula stuff for three days & gave me a deworming pill (which I gave her after she had a couple of good poops). She's been kind of ok since - kind of soft (figured because she's teething) but still able to pick up, but last night & this morning it was really bad.
Nothing has changed in her routine, no changes in her food (I feed her Nutro Max for puppies - dry and a tablespoon of canned, and lately some boiled chicken, rice & carrots, & a little pumpkin & natural organic yoghurt)
She's alert & energenic.

Any ideas on what it might be? Or is this normal for a teething pup?!? Am I overly concerned?

We have an appointment for after work today to see the vet.

GsdDiamond
November 24th, 2004, 12:57 PM
The Vet must be missing something. It's not normal to have diarrhea that bad, even with a teething puppy. Loose stool is one thing, but you're describing something completely different.
Have they tested for Parvo or any other nasty disease?

Poor puppy!!!! He has no idea how worried he's making you. :sick: :sad:

Copper'sMom
November 24th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Ling,
I'm so sorry to hear about your pup again! Have your vet do blood work(which they should do this time around anyway). There are so many possible causes for frequent bouts of diarrhea. With this bout of diarrhea you are not being overly concerend. Bring in another stool sample as well.

Good Luck and I hope your baby is okay! I'll be thinking about you!! (I had a similar situation with my dog)

Ling
November 24th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks. Sometimes I feel like I'm just overly concerned about her - which sometimes I am just the neurotic mom... but it's just makes me so sad when she's not well. (as I'm sure everyone does when their furbaby is ill)
And no - they haven't done any blood work or tested her for Parvo or any other diseases.
I mentioned before that I didn't like my other vet so we're going to a different one this time. Maybe they'll catch something that he missed... if not we'll just keep going back til they find out what's wrong.

mastifflover
November 24th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Well glad you found a new vet hopefully he will pick up on something the last one missed. Keep us posted on how you fub baby is doing

Ling
November 25th, 2004, 11:51 AM
So we took her to the Port Coquitlam Animal Hospital yesterday and loved the staff and vet! She did too - got tons of love and treats from everybody.
Anyways - he said that it might just be a bit of intestinal infection and gave me some Apo-Metronidazole - which I just read about on the internet is just an antibiotic - to give her for 10 days. And if she's not better in 5 days to give him a call back then they'll investigate further. He said he didn't think that it would be worth the money to do another stool sample and blood work until we tried this way for a couple of days first. Especially since shes acting normal and is otherwise in good health. He also said that I could probably feed her a bit more - gosh - she's sure happy about that! I already feed her about 4 cups a day! Gobble, gobble - she loves her food!
And sadly to say - I'm happy to report no bad stuff last night and her poop this morning was better! (Sad that I'm so, soooo happy about it :-)

GsdDiamond
November 25th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Oh I'm glad she's doing much better!! That other Vet shouldn't be practicing if he couldn't do what this Vet did....give antibiotics. Yeesh.

She'll be pooping like there's no tomorrow in no time!! :D

Copper'sMom
November 25th, 2004, 12:24 PM
So glad to hear the good news!!! Hopefully this will fix the problem. If I were you, I'd stick to this vet....they sound grrrreat!!! :thumbs up

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Sound very positive keep us posted. Glad you found a vet who sounds like he cares about the animals more than doing that extra test just for the sake of it.

sharonr
December 11th, 2004, 01:35 AM
I know it has been a while but I was curious to hear how your puppy is doing. I am dealing with a similar situation with my 3 year Australian Sheppard who has had bloody diarrehea off and on for over 1 month!! He is currently on Albon for parasites and was doing well - no diarreha for 7 days and then it hit today.
Did the antibiotics work for your puppy? Maybe I should try those.
Hope you're little one is doing better.
Thanks!!