Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sorry is this question has been asked before!

CarlaD
November 24th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Charlie is going to be neutered next week. I know that they give you the cone so that the animal does not lick his/her incision, but how do you stop other animals from doing it?

Also, when Willy was neutered the cone, that they gave us was huge, and he could not turn around in his cage or anything, so we ended up taking it off. Do they make smaller ones?

Copper'sMom
November 24th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Excessive licking should not take place around the incision. I doubt other animals will be constantly licking the neutered animal so you shouldn't worry about that.
They do make different sized cones and they are made according to neck size. You could get a smaller cone but the question is whether or not it will fit around the dog's neck. It is not necessary to have a cone UNLESS your dog licks the area EXCESSIVELY. The incision for neutering(male) is very small compared to a spay(female). Try your dog without a cone first to see whether or not he will lick the incision. Some licking is normal obviously but watch for excessive licking.

Hope this answers your question!

Luvmypit
November 24th, 2004, 11:58 AM
My dog didn't need one. He licked a couple times but when told no he stopped. Never had to worry about the cone so see how he is first as I am sure its not pleasant for them .

Dukieboy
November 24th, 2004, 12:00 PM
When Duke was neutered he didn't have a cone. His incision was small and stitching was internal. He hardly touched the site.

CarlaD
November 24th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Great! Thanks for the answers. I will make sure to stop him if he starts to lick and hopefully he will not need a cone.