Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Invasion of the crawlies...

Shaykeija
November 23rd, 2004, 11:27 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I was playing with Missie tonight on my bed. Had her on her back and gave her a tummy tickle. YeeeeGads...crawlies on her tummy. Damn fleas....Called the vet and he said it's really bad out there for fleas right now. So the renovation on the house is stopped for a day while I treat Missie, who is like bathing a bag of snakes, Sophie who hates getting her face wet and a cat Piper, with ALL his claws. No partridge in a pear tree.. I really hate the thought of using pesticides on the girls. I am so anal about chemicals in the house with them. I use just vinigear and water to clean. Now I have to douse them with poison. Right now I am having sympathy itchies...my skin is just crawling..ick ick ick..So what do you use for the dreaded flea infestation? :eek: :eek: I sure am not going to sleep tonight. LOL Thoughts of the crawlies on me uggggh

chico2
November 23rd, 2004, 11:40 PM
I use Advantage on my cats in the summer,easy to apply,cats especially really suffer if you have to spray them with pesticide,I stopped that 20yrs ago.Maybe your vet will give the cat a bath,because that will probably be the hardest..
Then you need to vaccum everywhere,especially the base-boards in your house...Good Luck!!

Lucky Rescue
November 24th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Fleas, worms and other icky parasites are part of pet ownership.

Do not bath or spray the cats and don't douse your house with pesticide.

As Chico said, a dose of Advantage will work on the cats. Then get a flea collar, cut it up and put it in your vacuum bag. Thoroughly vacuum the house. Any fleas sucked up will be killed by the collar.

That's all! :D

mastifflover
November 24th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Oh l like that idea of cutting up the collar. Your so smart Lucky, thanks.

lilith_rizel
November 24th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Lucky,

I would have nver thought of that.

Talking about flea collars, is there a good brand to use for dogs? or are the drops you put on the back of the neck better? Want to start thinking for next summer.

Schwinn
November 24th, 2004, 12:09 PM
I've always heard that flea collars (and the drops) on an animal aren't really any good, they only protect the area around the collar. We used to use them on our animals when I was a kid, now we use Advantage.

Chris_Tara
November 24th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Thats where the fleas prefer to gather - around the neck and in the ears. They are warm, there are blood capillaries close to the skin (for feeding) and they are more or less out of reach of any type of disturbance other than scratching. also, the head of a dog goes toward another dog first, so flea transfer to a new host is easiest. I've seen wild rabbits and deer (I hunt) that have no fleas on the body, but when you get to the head, the ears are swarming with fleas!

chico2
November 24th, 2004, 01:07 PM
I would have to say no to flea-collars or any drops bought from any store,I've used Advantage for many years on my cats...NO fleas.
I've heard of pro's and con's about Advantage too,but I only use it in the summer.
It's available at the Vet and on-line,I get it from the vet.

louie's mum
November 24th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Fleas, worms and other icky parasites are part of pet ownership.

Do not bath or spray the cats and don't douse your house with pesticide.

As Chico said, a dose of Advantage will work on the cats. Then get a flea collar, cut it up and put it in your vacuum bag. Thoroughly vacuum the house. Any fleas sucked up will be killed by the collar.

ur the best lucky ... :D :D
what a great tip. thanks.

lilith_rizel
November 24th, 2004, 05:21 PM
So advantage is a brand of flea stuff that works. We will be taking Cano in for a vet visit next spring, so I will pick some up. Thanks.

krdahmer
November 25th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Then get a flea collar, cut it up and put it in your vacuum bag. Thoroughly vacuum the house. Any fleas sucked up will be killed by the collar.

Now it may just be me...but Lucky that is so simple...it's friggin brilliant! And it would save you from having to waste a whole vacuum bag on one job! I'll have to add that to my list of helpful hints! :thumbs up

doggy lover
November 25th, 2004, 10:56 AM
I used advantage on my last dog who was allergic to fleas it worked great!

anniebananie
November 25th, 2004, 11:38 AM
I get Advantage for all my cats and dogs and it really works well. I can still bathe them (not the cats) and it continues to work. Fleas cause tape worms, so I feel it is worth it to save the animals the pills I have to give them for the worms. I gather there is now one out on the market that does heart worms as well - and given in pill form once a month.

petlover5150
November 25th, 2004, 04:11 PM
i use advantage on my fleabags and it works really well. my kitties just WILL NOT wear a collar, believe me i've tried but they always seem to conveniently lose them when they are out, hmmm.... accidental? i wonder :evil:

lucky that is such a great idea with the flea collar! hopefully i will not need to try it out though!

maddoxies
November 25th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I was told that if you absolutely HAD to bath a cat, to use oven mitts. I will save your hands from the worst of their wrath. I dont know if it works, but I thought I would pass it on.

I also used to get flea products from Florida. They were an orange based product, all natural. Try searching on the internet. My first golden was not only allergic to fleas (and flea bites) she was also allergic to flea products (this was way back when, before Sentinel, Advantics, etc)

Maya
November 26th, 2004, 04:46 AM
I have heard that engevita yeast in the diet helps to discourage fleas. I think garlic as well but I don't think kitty's like the taste. Mine didn't.

louie's mum
November 26th, 2004, 09:23 AM
I have heard that engevita yeast in the diet helps to discourage fleas. I think garlic as well but I don't think kitty's like the taste. Mine didn't.

what is engevita yeast?

wAggie
November 26th, 2004, 12:38 PM
not sure where the verdict stands, but I've also heard NO for flea-collars.

and DOES Advantage work. :thumbs up :thumbs up

mastifflover
November 26th, 2004, 12:47 PM
A great natural repellent is Eucalyptus I buy natural unscented dog shampoo then I go to where I get my soap and they put essential oil of eucalyptus in it for Buddy I also use eucalyptus flea collar he has not really been bothered by them so this seems to work great.