Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Help - Rottie needs ACL Cruciate Surgery

LuvMyRottieGurl
November 23rd, 2004, 09:28 PM
hi everyone, this is my first time to this forum, i am glad i found you all. i am hoping that you can help me and my rottie girl, Zena.

she has recently torn her acl cruciate ligament in her rear right knee and needs surgery. I am in a bad situation financially (almost divorced, single mom now left with ALOT of debt) and alot of surgeons around where i live do not want to work out payment plans.

I have been trying to get information on getting the surgery done at a veterinary school/hospital where they might do it at a cheaper rate.... can anyone give me feedback on this?

I live in Maryland but i am willing to travel just about anywhere on the east side of the U.S. if i can help my girl out.

can anyone offer any advice?

thanks in advance.

Mary

LL1
November 23rd, 2004, 09:41 PM
I know of a rescuer in Maryland who swears by an ortho vet in her area, let me try and find the contact info.

Lucky Rescue
November 23rd, 2004, 10:01 PM
There is an organization called IMOM (http://www.imom.org/) that helps people financially with vet care. You just need to provide info, documentation, etc.

Please let us know if they can help you and sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Schwinn
November 23rd, 2004, 10:35 PM
My dog had knee surgery as well. She came through it okay.

I do know that veterinarian schools here in Canada do surgeries cheaper, and to be honest, I have as much confidence in them as I do most vets. My dad had surgery on his husky who had a punctured lung, and she came out quite well.

I wish I could offer you more, but keep us up to date, and good luck!

jnes
November 24th, 2004, 02:12 AM
We had our Rottie's done right in the vet's office. It cost us about $1000 and we paid it off in 3 months. The vet used fishing line to secure the torn ligaments and she has done wonderfully well for 4 years now.

LL1
November 24th, 2004, 04:59 PM
My friend in MD said the vet who has done many surgeries for the rescue dogs is Dr. George. She said he recently moved from Hyattstown
emergency vet, MD to Frederick but if you called the emergency vet
clinic they would be able to tell you his new information.

LuvMyRottieGurl
November 25th, 2004, 01:10 PM
thank you everyone for your information and encouragement. i am so glad i signed up on this forum - you guys/gals are great.

i am going to look into that "IMOM" and see if they can help me (hopefully they can!)

i will also see if i can find out more about Dr. George and see where he is in frederick -- thank you again so much.

i will keep you all updated.

God bless you all and your fur kids.

badger
November 25th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Check out the Community Forum page on the IMOM site, tears guaranteed.

CyberKitten
November 25th, 2004, 02:42 PM
IMOM is a wonderful org!! And so many heartwrenching stories fersure, or is that FURsure!!!

LuvMyRottieGurl
December 7th, 2004, 10:09 PM
thank you everyone for your kind words and support. i just wanted to keep everyone posted on what has happened in the past couple weeks.

i have had several local referrals from patients at my office and other pet owners of a wonderful group of surgeons called M.A.S.H in huntingtown maryland. i set up a consult this past saturday where the confirmed the acl cruciate tear and suggested 2 surgery types for my girl. i opted for the more expensive surgery.... not because it was more but because i was told it has a more favorable result for larger breeds like rotties. they also had everything included in the price of surgery, the medication, follow up visits, rehab visit, etc. other surgeons i called wanted to nickel and dime me the entire way. the MASH group also provided financing which enabled me to get the better surgery for my baby girl.

She had her surgery today and 2 surgeons worked on her. They told me tonight that she is recovering out of surgery well and they will call me tomorrow to let me know when i can pick her up.

Thankfully the Lord was smiling on Zena because my mother was going to loan me the money for the surgery... told me when i scheduled it that it was my christmas gift and to get zena fixed. i broke down in the vets office with just overwhelming joy and relief.

For someone who has recenlty become a single mom, going thru a divorce, husband left me with thousands in debt, no money for anything now a days much less christmas for my kid or SURGERY on my beloved dog.... this was a present from the Man Himself.

i will keep you all posted on her progress and thank you again for everything. i wish i had found you guys sooner but i am very glad to be here now. :love:

CyberKitten
December 7th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks so much for the update on your baby!! I hope things will be all good from now on! So glad to hear your mom gave you the money! I was going to recommend the Atlantic Vet College in Charlottetown, PEI - very reasonable prices and excellnt care!

The college is here:

http://www.upei.ca/~avc/contact.htm

But I am thrilled that things are looking up! Keep in touch!

Schwinn
December 8th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Glad to hear about your pooch! The other thing we've been doing is giving Daisy glucosamine. She won't rest her leg, so it's taking a long time to heal. We started giving her that, and it seems to help.

mastifflover
December 8th, 2004, 11:29 AM
I am so glad for you and your baby. Well good things seem be happening for you. Must be a load of your mind and heart knowing she will be okay. I would definitely keep her on a supplement program as well.
This is the little cocktail that a friend gives her Mastiff who has had the surgery and she swears by it. 1000mg daily and 400 mg chondroitin or glucosamine hyrdachloride (holitic vet said its easier on the stomach than the other regularily used glucosamine) The choice is up to you on this one I prefer the condriton but I dont think there is a huge difference. Vit C is not only good for the joints, it also boosts the immune system. I give my dog 1000mg daily of Ester C (easier on the digestive system) and up to 2000mg daily for a couple of weeks if she seems to be going thru a particualarly bad patch with her joints. C is a good anti-inflammatory. I also give her shark cartlige every other day because it is rather pricey but since costco carries it at half the price I will be adding it as well the only problem is sometimes the gas from it is brutal, when this happens I take her off for a few days. She also said to mention that she has just switched to the liquid Glucosamine (berry flavoured dog loves to lick it off the spoon). She also said to buy the supplements at costco they have the best prices on them.

BMDLuver
December 8th, 2004, 11:34 AM
So glad to see Zena's story had such a happy ending! Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Schwinn
December 8th, 2004, 12:10 PM
We've been giving Daisy the supplements I use for the gym (the vet said that was the same as what the doggy ones are, and about 1/3 the cost). We also bought dog food with glucosamine in it. As for the shark cartiledge, we just bought Daisy some treats that have that in it. And her gas is always brutal! I think I'm going to get one of those Glad plug-ins that you put in car vents so the air goes through it and freshens!

AliCat
December 8th, 2004, 03:30 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your Rottie! My Rottie Morgan had 3 knee surgeries by the time she was 2. It was a very long, stressful and expensive time for us, but it was well worth it. It has been 2 years since her last surgery and she is doing great. She is stronger than ever, :) and you would never know she has gone through so much. I wish you and your Rottie the best!!

meb999
December 8th, 2004, 09:09 PM
so sorry to hear about your pooch :sad:

Glad to hear about your pooch! The other thing we've been doing is giving Daisy glucosamine. She won't rest her leg, so it's taking a long time to heal. We started giving her that, and it seems to help.
this really could help, my parents dog (Georges) has a spinal degenerative desease which affects his hips, and since they've been giving him glucosamine, he's improved unbelievably! Some Dog foods have it, but my parents just mash up a pill and feed it to him. It's worked miracles!
I hope everything works out for you and your furbaby.
Good luck ! :)

dove
December 8th, 2004, 09:26 PM
:thumbs up kisses to zena

LavenderRott
December 14th, 2004, 01:30 AM
I think she looks fabulous!

LuvMyRottieGurl
December 14th, 2004, 03:51 AM
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! you all are a great group of people, your support has been wonderful and very well timed.
my mothers early christmas gift was a blessing... i also financed the rest of the money from the surgery so she got the best care. she got the TPLO surgery. she now has the "million dollar leg" so to speak. lol

here is a picture i took of her the night we brought her home (last wednesday). as you can see, she wasnt very photogenic like she usually is.

She has also been on the cosaquin DS glucosamine tablets for about 5 weeks now, they said to continue it to help her with her joints... i guess only time will tell from this point if they help her...

she is recovering very quick also, she is already weight bearing (somewhat) on that leg which the vet said was encouraging. she goes this friday to get her staples out. i will keep everyone posted. thanks again!

Karin
December 15th, 2004, 07:03 PM
I rarely come to this conference due to lack of time...glad I did now!

Congrats on the surgery!

mastifflover
December 15th, 2004, 07:07 PM
I am so happy for you and your girl great news just make sure you take her recovery slow can be detremental to her other side to rush it. Good luck and Big Hugs

glasslass
December 15th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Great news! Please continue to keep us updated on her progress! She's so lucky to have you! :thumbs up

peppy_85
December 15th, 2004, 09:46 PM
oh shes so pretty im glad things worked out for you.
kelly & peppy

GsdDiamond
December 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM
That's awesome! I'm so glad she's doing well. Keep us informed on how she does! :D

Schwinn
December 15th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Wow. I can't believe the resemblance to Daisy (scar and everything! Only Daisy is more brindle than brown, and a little smaller). I'm so glad it went well. One thing we just started Daisy on is shark cartiledge biscuits. It seems to be helping even more.

meb999
December 15th, 2004, 10:41 PM
hmmmmmmm, shark cartilage, sounds delicious!!!
Thanks for the update!
I'm a sucker for happy endings :)
Congratulations

Schwinn
December 15th, 2004, 11:04 PM
hmmmmmmm, shark cartilage, sounds delicious!!!

She seems to like them...of course, she licks her own bum and eats the "kitty tootsie rolls", so she may not be the best person to ask.

Copper'sMom
December 16th, 2004, 08:53 AM
She's well worth the money!! Good to hear the BOTH of you are doing great! :grouphug:

TalonsMa
December 16th, 2004, 06:45 PM
My baby Solara had the same surgery, two weeks ago, poor girl...glad everything went well for your girl :)

CyberKitten
December 16th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks so much for the update!! I am so happy it has sll gone well for you!! This is terrific news, a nice Christmas happy story!!! :)

Rottimom
December 17th, 2004, 02:47 PM
For crying out loud Scwinn your posts crack me up when I least expect it. You are hysterical. Lmao. :D

So glad to hear everything turned out for this gorgeous rotti. She's lucky to have such a loving family. (Your generous Mom included) :thumbs up