Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

chewing

denisevaughan
November 23rd, 2004, 07:37 PM
Hi I have a friend that has a young dog, about one year old and she has having a lot of problems with the dog chewing everything in the house, his toys as well as furniture, shoes, laundry baskets, you name it.
Has anyone any suggestions for her, she is at a loss. She did consult her vet and she really did not have any good answer for her.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

heeler's rock!
November 23rd, 2004, 07:43 PM
Hi denise! :) My puppies do the same thing. They've chewed so many holes in my walls, it's not even funny! :mad You could tell your friend to try spraying the furniture with yucky tasting stuff like bitter apple spray, or vinegar and water. What I've done is crate trained my pups so that when we're gone, they can't chew anything. That's the only thing that has worked for my pups. Good luck!

doggy lover
November 23rd, 2004, 08:34 PM
Heeler's rock was that your border collie, I think mine is part beaver. I just keep buying bones for Tucker he really likes this one type and I can't think of it right now. But it is like a pressed bone with added flavoring like peanut butter, bbq chicken etc. He also likes real beef bones the one he has is smoked. Now I'm not saying he still doesn't get into things you have to watch the little bugger all the time. If you can't see him I know he is up to something, and when you catch him he just gives you those big eyes and you have to forgive. :angel:

denisevaughan
November 24th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Thank you for your suggestions, the bones may help. The vet told her that he has not been crate trained up to now and felt because of his high energy that he would be crazy when let out of the crate, like so full of energy. I do not know I think if I was her I would try it. I put our new pup in a crate when we go out because she just can not be trusted yet, but her fav thing is getting into my house plants.
If anyone has more suggestions she would certainly be open to trying them.

thanks again to all who responded
Denise

dove
November 24th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Just a quick note with my opinion. I think the best and only way to go with a chewer is crate training. Eventually the dog will outgrow the chewing habbit. But in the meantime, please consider that it is not only your furniture and what ever he can get his teeth on that is bad. It is also very dangerous. I had a dog that chewed an electrical cord and it completley burned her tongue off. Needless to say that mentally she was not there after it happened. Eventually she had to be put down as her brain no longer functioned properly.

So please think of your dog more than the furniture and crate train him.

Dove

Lassie's Mommy
November 24th, 2004, 09:28 AM
I suggest that she keep the dog in a small area with nothing to chew on but the dogs toys when not watching it carefully and only let the dog out when she is watching it carefully. It really is not the dog's fault when it chews on things. It is natural for a puppy to chew and you have to teach it what is and what is not acceptable to chew.

denisevaughan
November 24th, 2004, 06:29 PM
So Dove, You agree with me, she should crate train this young dog? See I can not understand that Vet saying it is too late.
Although a neighbour of mine said her sisters dog went crazy when she tried to crate train him, I suppose there is the rare case where it does not work.
And I also agree he is a danger to himself by chewing everything up, furniture is not meant to be eaten, therefore could contain harmful chemicals and such.
I am going to go talk to her and let her know what everyone has said here to help her out.
Thanks again
Denise

mastifflover
November 24th, 2004, 06:38 PM
I think crate training might be the best thing just introduce it slowly and make sure the dog does not view it as punishment. Also get a kong and stuff it will keep the dog busy for hours.If you go to kong.com they have lots of different recipes for stuffing.

mona_b
November 30th, 2004, 09:04 PM
What your friend needs to do is re-direct the dog.What I mean by that is,when the dog is chewing on something that he/she shouldn't,then stop him/her on the spot,give the dog a toy and praise big time.Even give the dog a treat.This will take a bit of time,but the dog will pick up on it and realize what can and cannot be chewed.If she doesn't do this,and starts to crate train,the dog will never learn that chewing is a no-no.Hope this helps... :)