Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Letter from my MPP!

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
November 23rd, 2004, 06:13 PM
Dear Ms. Edwards:

Thank you for expressing your concern with regard to the pit bull legislation. I understand your apprehension towards Bill 132 and I have been diligent in communicating your concerns to the Attorney General.

To be clear, please know that people who own a pit bull when and if this law is passed, will be able to keep their pets. If passed, these pit bulls will have to be leashed and muzzled when in public and spayed or neutered. I am sure that responsible owners view these as reasonable measures to ensure public safety.

What I find most important with advancing this bill is that responsible owners and their dogs are not penalized for the mistakes of those owners who have been careless and have endangered the general population.

I want you to know that this legislation, if passed, would toughen penalties for the owners of any dog that poses a danger to the public, by doubling fines up to a maximum of $10,000, and allow for jail sentences of up to six months for individuals who own dangerous dogs that bite, attack, or pose a threat. The legislation would also allow fines up to a maximum of $60,000 for corporations who own such dogs. We are doing our best to focus the penalties on irresponsible owners.

Further, the government's decision to ban pit bulls and place restrictions on existing pit bulls is a direct response to the overwhelming desire of the majority of Ontarians (this does not mean however that your concerns have gone unheard). In the past few months, Ontario has witnessed numerous
serious attacks on innocent victims and family pets by pit bulls. Recently, we have had a case right here in Hamilton. As a result of these and previous attacks, the McGuinty government has received thousands of letters, emails, faxes, and phone calls from residents across Ontario, sharing their stories and urging the government to act in the interest of public safety and to protect the rights of Ontarians in their communities.

Once again, thank you for sharing your concerns with me and please feel free to continue to express your ideas with me. I can assure you that I will always inform my colleagues of my constituents' concerns and fight for the most reasonable and equitable solution.

Best Regards,
Dr. Marie Bountrogianni, MPP
Hamilton Mountain

email: mbountrogianni.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
phone #: 905 388-9734

Mistruzzi
November 23rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
She sounds pro ban.How does she (the MPP) figure that the responsible owners won't be punished by the ban?

Schwinn
November 23rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
Well, you do have to give her that much. However, I dispute where she says the majority of Ontarians support the ban. I haven't seen that evidence anywhere.

mastifflover
November 23rd, 2004, 06:19 PM
That is part of the village idiots form letter that everybody gets.

Loki
November 23rd, 2004, 06:28 PM
I got the exact same letter from her today.
If I remember correctly, I got a very similar letter last week from a different Liberal.

whinnie-boo
November 26th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Check out the toronto sun archives for the article on the petitions.

3 days ago they printed an article on the 2 petitions regarding pit-bull

1 - started pro ban by the Government of Ontario - Approx 4900 signatures

2 - started against ban by the Toronto Humane Society - approx 13,500 signatures

So, as far as I'm concerned, the general public is AGAINST the Ban on Pit-bulls

Have anyone you know visit the Toronto Humane society Web page and sign the petition, we can still win, its not law yet. :evil:

pitbulliest
November 26th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Why are the liberals the only people that are sending around this premade village idiot letter?

Or is the answer to that question just too darn obvious? :rolleyes: