Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Foods around the House

Cameleon3
November 23rd, 2004, 12:59 PM
Can u guys give me suggestions of foods around the house that are healthy for my little beagle??

I don't give her food from the table but I would like to give her some stuff so she can try it out. Like I have already given her a little bit of milk and she loves peanut butter. Mind u, it won't be an everyday thing..more like an every month thing.

Lucky Rescue
November 23rd, 2004, 01:42 PM
Don't give her milk. That will likely just give her loose stools.

Beagles are prone to being chubby, so as long as the treats aren't too frequent, there is no problem with giving her healthy food from the table - food like chicken, fish, beef, veggies or a little pasta. Some dogs enjoy fruit too, and apples seem to be a hit.

If you are giving her people food, just cut down on her serving of dog food that day. Giving too many treats will make her fussy about her food.

What I do is just add whatever I want to give my dog to her own food. If she knows the only place she gets food is in her own bowl, that will discourage begging.

Cameleon3
November 23rd, 2004, 01:59 PM
loose stools?? *lol* that is hilarious...thanks for all the great info. I will keep everything u said in mind. Yeah!! I don't plan to do it often because my gf's parents dog got used to human food and became a pain about her food.

My beagle eats like a champ...no matter how much food I put in her bowl she will eat it all..no joke..One day I wanted to see if she would actually leave some food in her bowl for later...NOPE..I filled it up..she was looking at me and u could tell she was full..but kept eating..it was quite funny but I stuck her back to her routine the next day...

melanie
November 23rd, 2004, 03:28 PM
most dogs are lactose intolerant or are to a ceratin extent, so any dairy should be avoided esp in lg amounts. no cheese or jsut the tinyiest of tineist pieces once in a while, but there is so much more around its not necessary :D

and no chocolate either, no matter how cute they look when begging for a bit :D yes i have to eat my chocolate with my eyes closed, and my vegemite toast :D :rolleyes:

Cameleon3
November 23rd, 2004, 03:30 PM
the chocolate thing I know...she almost got my reeses cups the other day..I could have killed her...not because she would have been sick just because NO ONE messes with my peanut butter cups..*lol*

the milk I gave her very little.

doggy lover
November 23rd, 2004, 07:18 PM
I cook for my six month border collie. He gets dog food as well at breakfast with yogurt or cottage cheese. At supper he gets meat, veg with rice or potato or pasta and a little bit of dry food. He has never been a fussy eater and will eat anything you give him. You must becareful though there are some fruits and other foods that are not good for your dog. Like grapes and raisins, onions, mushrooms, avacotto(spelling?) fruit seeds and pits, tomatoes and the plants, these are the only ones I can think of right now, there could be more.

moontamara
November 23rd, 2004, 07:35 PM
Anyone know why dairy in general is not okay, but yogurt is okay? I'm wondering if it is the same way for lactose intolerant humans.

I give Casey sweet potatoes and little bits of meat (usually chicken sometimes beef) with his food when I feel he needs a treat!

Writing4Fun
November 23rd, 2004, 08:02 PM
yes i have to eat my chocolate with my eyes closed, and my vegimite toast :D :rolleyes:
We may have already gone through this, but what is "vegimite"?? (anyone else having a bad '80s flashback right now?)

Murphy, our last dog, used to pick carrots right out of our garden, the little stinker. :p Phoebe gets whatever the baby tosses over the side of his high-chair - usually Cheerios, Rice Crispies or Arrowroot cookies. :rolleyes: She had leftover pasta and meatballs last night. I was so proud. :D How many 7mth old puppies will sit patiently and wait for the go-ahead while you scrape leftover meatballs into their bowl? :love:

louie's mum
November 23rd, 2004, 08:09 PM
(anyone else having a bad '80s flashback right now?)

yeah i suddenly had a wicked craving for a sandwich :D :D :D :D :D

Cinnabear
November 24th, 2004, 12:31 AM
My dogs favorite treats are carrots. Newt ears perk right up when I open the fridge and get a couple of carrots. They also like peppers, peas, some cheese, pomegranates and broccoli bottoms. Also watermelon rinds. You really shouldn't give corn but I do right off the cob. :crazy:

No bread or wheat products, they have been known to give dogs yeast infections.

Good luck in finding what your dog likes to eat. :)

doggy lover
November 24th, 2004, 06:27 AM
I believe the bacteria in yogurt does something that removes the lactaide, so its safe. I have lactose intolarance but I can eat yogurt, it helps replenish the good bacteria in your system.

moontamara
November 24th, 2004, 06:37 AM
I believe the bacteria in yogurt does something that removes the lactaide, so its safe. I have lactose intolarance but I can eat yogurt, it helps replenish the good bacteria in your system.

I thought it might be something like that! Thanks! :)

dove
November 24th, 2004, 07:03 AM
dogs believe it our not are lovers of veggies and fruits. Try any that you like and when you find the ones he likes yahoooo. instant healthy treats.

Dove

TobsterMom
November 24th, 2004, 07:56 AM
My dog loves apples. He also goes nuts for toast, but breads put weight on dogs big time, so he gets nibbles of crust. He also loves bananas and lettuce.

Your safe if you stick to fruits and veggies. Except certain fruits like those metioned above, grapes can be toxic.

lil_kirk
November 24th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Just to reiterate what LR already said---I've known beagles who have been pretty heavy set as well. You might even consider regulating his meal times and portions to ensure he doesn't get overweight. While watching her eat until she can eat no more may be funny--it's not really that good for her.

Pugs have the same problem---they don't know when to stop eating and will keep going until there is no more food. It's very important for the owners to know this and ensure that meals are scheduled and portion sizes are maintained.

As for human foods--I've heard the same thing....fruits are oddly enough an easier food to make dogs eat on a daily basis than humans!

Cameleon3
November 24th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Don't get me wrong..that was a one time thing because I am a new pet owner and I was afraid I wasn't feeding her enough. My friend's dogs when they aren't hungry anymore, they just stop eating and go play. NOT ONCE has my dog ever stopped eating even if it meant almost puking out her food because she is sooo full...

as of today..she is in very good shape but thanks for giving me the heads up.

lil_kirk
November 24th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Sorry if you thought I was picturing you stuffing your little one with food all day---I didn't mean to come off that way :)

Some dogs, just like cats, don't know when enough is enough! ( I suppose that goes for humans too!)