Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking 4 a Optometrist that'll WAIVE exam fees w purchase!!

wAggie
November 23rd, 2004, 01:22 PM
anyone know of any?

I NEEEEEEEEED contacts, AND glass lens.

I do NOT want to pay for the examination (yes, my perscriptions had changed :rolleyes: ).

does anyone know of any bundle packs (or similar) what any company may be providing??

help!

raingirl
November 23rd, 2004, 02:17 PM
I think that is illegal and they aren't allowed to do that. I was reading on the College of Optometrists of Ontario website and they talk about stuff like that.

Sorry.

In Ontario, most regulated health care practitioners (e.g. physicians, pharmacists, optometrists, and dentists) are required, when providing health care products to a patient, to charge the patient the costs incurred for the material plus a fee. The fees are called a variety of names such as dispensing fees, treatment fees, or professional fees. The amount of the fee may vary but must be disclosed to the patient on a receipt. The purpose of this is to provide openness and honesty in the financial transactions between health care professionals and their patients.

The dispensing fee or “fee for service” is charged rather than a mark-up on the material costs. Private health care practitioners must - from the fees for services charged - construct, equip, staff and maintain proper facilities for providing their services. The dispensing fee is meant to not only cover the services rendered but also to defray the overhead costs in providing the service to the public.

Cinnabear
November 23rd, 2004, 04:16 PM
Look at place that sell glasses that don't have a optometrist(sp). You may still have to pay a fee. Here in Alberta this place was charging 30 and the prices on glasses were cheaper too. He did take a courses on how to test your eyes. Unless you have cataracts a or stigmas, they are fine to deal with.

wAggie
November 23rd, 2004, 06:13 PM
ahhh, thanx cinnabear!!

raingirl, some things CAN be waived. :thumbs up

raingirl
November 24th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Cinnabear, in Ontario, an optitian (the people at glasses stores) cannot test eyes. They can only fit contact lenses and glasses. A prescription must come from an optometrist or opthamalogist. At least that's what the college of optometrists of ontario says on their website.

wAggie, I e-mailed the college of optometrists of ontario and asked them about the rules for charging for a visit. They said it is against the college's policy to charge one fee to one person and a different fee to another if they buy something. I think it's not just them, it's in the ontario heath act. It's a conflict of interest of something.

It's like that vet in Ottawa who agreed to offer discounted spay/neuter from specific adoption agency to save them money. He was reported by another vet (there is a post in the general forum about it) and was told he could not do that, that he had to charge the same cost to everyone (no preferential treatment).

The only thing that would work is if they optometrist takes off a percentage off your purchase equal to the cost of the exam, so the price would effectively be the same. If his records got audited, he would need to prove he was charging the same to everyone. Depending on his costs for glasses/contacts before his markups, he might do that, now that OHIP doesn't cover visits to the eye doc.

I have problems with this all the time in my job, where physio clinics charge more for MVA treatment than for non-MVA treatment, which isn't allowed. Same thing for charging less for people who don't have insurance, and more for people who do.

I hope you find one who gives you a discount on your purchase! Unfortunately, I don't know of any.

wAggie
November 24th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Awww... boo.

why am i so slow? i COULD have gone months ago... shesh.

thanx a bundle raingirl!! lol, ur very knowledgeable! :)

louie's mum
November 24th, 2004, 08:01 PM
if u have certain conditions with ur eyes, u can still get an OHIP paid appt with eye dr.
unfortunately the fiberals eliminated regular eye dr appts for us 'middle aged' group effective nov 1st (i think).
ask ur family doc to recommend optomologist if u don't know of anyone, then call and ask them. mine said the rules weren't entirely clear at that point (i went oct 28th so it would be covered and it STILL wasn't clear what the new rules were).
good luck.

wAggie
November 26th, 2004, 12:47 AM
unfortunately, my doctor is as far away from me as my optometrist... AND my dentist/hygenist. :(

i'll let y'all know when i finally do get around to locating one. :o

louie's mum
November 26th, 2004, 09:27 AM
unfortunately, my doctor is as far away from me as my optometrist... AND my dentist/hygenist. :(

i'll let y'all know when i finally do get around to locating one. :o

maybe someone on the board will share some info with u. it's been too long since i lived in toronto to help u out.
good luck.

mona_b
December 1st, 2004, 08:09 PM
wAggie,I've been going to Hakim for years when I was in Toronto.I get my eyes checked by the optometrist that is there.Yes he is licenced.He fits me for my contacts.I just went 2 weeks ago.I had to pay $60 to have my eyes retested.See with contacts,I get my eyes checked every year.Unless you have cataracts,are over 65(Ithink)and something else,can't remember,you will have to pay the fee to get your eyes tested.

Sorry,but that's just the way it is....I know,it sucks. :(

wAggie
December 1st, 2004, 08:16 PM
I went to the Bay Optical @ eaton center yesterday...

they said it's $80 to test ur eyes next door at the optometrist!!!!

I heard it was $35-40... she said that's probably the fee only for the glasses testing.. contacts inc. should be $80.

I'm like WTF???!!

I gotta start calling around.... man... :mad:

twinmommy
December 1st, 2004, 08:21 PM
If you know your prescription and you just want to order your brand of contacts, you can do so without a prescription--on line!!

try, www.visiondirect.com , it's cheap too!! We get out of the prescription because we're from Canada...just know what you want, and be sure your eyes really don't need testing because they waive all liability.

Cinnabear
December 2nd, 2004, 12:55 AM
If your going to be buying contacts online I'd go with

coastalcontacts.com

Seems to be easier to navigate in cdn and free shipping. :thumbs up

raingirl
December 2nd, 2004, 09:05 AM
my Opt charges $50 and that's it. He's at the Scarborough Town Centre.

wAggie
December 2nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
thanx ladies!!!

I'll be calling around to find out prices and let u know what I find. :)

btw, wtf is CONTACT FITTING all about??!

I've never had that... as far as I know, all contacts FIT me quite fine. Its all about how much oxygen they let him that bugs me, and dries my eyes after X amount of hrs...

Cinnabear
December 2nd, 2004, 01:15 PM
My dd had a contact fitting done. First time using them. It cost us 50 for the fitting and that was a trial pair. :eek: My dh could have showed her how to do it. One good thing about it was they do replace a lens, because she lost one contact.

Sneaky2006
December 2nd, 2004, 02:47 PM
Depending on the shape of your eyes, you need a certain type of lens. It's not really about the actual 'fitting' part. They fit your eyes, as in size and shape.
Your eyes can also change size and shape over time, meaning this year you get a certain type and next year you may need another. That's why most (all here) need you to have an exam and fitting each year.
I was looking for the easy way out too... I got contacts 2 yrs ago and just wanted more, but didn't want to pay for the exam and fitting again. My sister and I have the exact same prescription and I wore hers (disposables) She had a different type/brand than what I had gotten 2 yrs ago. They popped out quite easily and I lost a few. I never ever had that problem before... now I know why the fitting is important.
Believe me, I was the same way before... I was like, dude, I can put my own contacts in thanks. I really really didn't want to pay for it. But knowing what I know now, I will! :D

mona_b
December 2nd, 2004, 06:55 PM
I have never been charged a fitting fee.And I have been wearing contacts for 5 years.What I got charged for this time was the exam part.That's what isn't being covered under O.H.I.P....I know when my year was up,I couldn't get contacts till I got re-tested.He did give me a pair to do me untill my appt.My eyes did change and I needed them a bit stronger....Guess that comes with age.LOL...

wAggie,try Hakim.They have an Optometrist right in there. And they are good.

I have the Acuvue 2 and pay $240 for the year.

wAggie
December 2nd, 2004, 11:48 PM
last, I got a 2 yr contacts supply from my optometrist. It was Frequency, and I guess you could say my optometrist did the "fitting."

that's why I'm baffled as to why I should get tested, given a prescription from an optometrist, and still go to get my contacts/eyes "fitted"... when the optometrist should be doing all of it??!

what a load of crap... oh, and the Bay charges a one time fitting fee of $20.

Mona, I'll check out Hakim... from what I recall when I got my glasses at the Cedarbrae location, the service was AWESOME! and prices as well. :p

but damn, it's sooo far away now. I'll drag my mom to come w me - after my exam this thurs. lol

:)

Cinnabear
December 3rd, 2004, 02:11 AM
What is the difference in prescription for contacts and eye glasses? Never had contacts before.

wAggie
December 4th, 2004, 09:19 PM
well... the prescriptions are different bc of where the lens sit... one is REALLY close, like in your eye ( ;) ) while the other is on ur nose...

just look at it this way: try putting ur glass wwaaaaaaaay up on the bridge of ur nose... and slowly move the glasses down to the tip of ur nose?

see a difference?

the optometrist needs to make sure s/he gives u the appropriate prescription for contacts and/or glasses.

:)

glasslass
December 4th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Do you have Costco in Canada? Here, contacts are about 1/2 the price at Costco compared to what the optometrist charges. The examination is less also and they seem to be very competent. I had a friend who was getting their prescription meds for a heart condition from Walgreens. When he found out it was less at Costco, he talked to the pharmacist at Walgreens and they lowered their price to match Costco. Pays to look around and ask!