Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Here we go again....or so I thought

SSAC
November 23rd, 2004, 12:07 PM
After losing Miss Gray in sept :( . I certainly didn't want to have to "go through it" again................ Sunday Nov 14th Lily started vomiting :sad: . Very acute onset and proceeded to stop eating the same day. I took her to work, put her on IV fluids, hospitalized, gave reglan, ranitadine etc.........Stil vomited. X-rays showed no evidence of a forgein body. Blood work came back normal ...............Still vomited. I even tested her for fel Leuk/FIV...negative :)

Now I was freaking out, as she wasn't getting better
Then she stopped vomiting on the wednesday, but wouldn't eat.
2nd bag of fluid went on and tried to encourage small amounts of canned food (A/D, hypo etc). Not interested. 3rd x-ray showed liver changes :sad:

Now it was important that she ate or place a stomach tube. Sat with her, encouraged her to nibble a small amount, she didn't vomit it back up.....encouraging. Thursday perked right up and ate some more. Friday morning she was going nuts in her kennel, she wanted to go home. Took her home :) (as Friday was my day off). Fed small but frequent meals. Very happy with her progress. Now, as of yesterday, she has fully recovered and is ravenous! :D

Obviously I am so glad that she is okay (although I will be watching her closely for any liver problems). However she has proven to be an enigma as to why she became sick. No FB, No tumor, No funky blood results..........

So remember, something as simple as a GI upset can be fatal for your cat if left untreated

CyberKitten
November 23rd, 2004, 01:04 PM
I am happy to hear your little one is doing well again! She is lucky to have such an attentive and good meomy!

Karin
November 23rd, 2004, 01:31 PM
It seems as though all animals in my area are going through some kind of ADR for the past 2 weeks. My guess is it is statewide too. My vet as been so busy she hired on two relief vets to help. She said all the vet's are going crazy!

We saw this in south Florida about a month after Andrew hit in 1992. With so much storm debris and dead foliage still lying around people and animals are all ADR. I have been feeling funky myself.

It still looks like a war zone around here.

SSAC
November 27th, 2004, 06:42 PM
I couldn't even perceive going through a hurricane myself. We're glad that you still with us Karin! :party:

Thanks Cyberkitten and Karin

badger
November 27th, 2004, 07:06 PM
What, if you please, is ADR?

Karin
November 27th, 2004, 07:56 PM
What, if you please, is ADR?

ADR is a medical term. Something an animal hospital hears first thing on Monday morning on the phone recorder..or when someone does not know how to explain the question we pose " What's wrong with your pet?"

The answer is "Ain't Doing Right." This is when we break out our crystal ball and magic bag and try our best to surmise the situation. It's not easy! When a pet record comes across as the next patient to see and "ADR" is noted in the files..we know already, we have little to go on and we are going to get very busy.

Even human hospitals get the same reply..

I have been a little ADR myself lately too.lol!