Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Postnatal Canine Diarrhea, Normal?

groundless
November 23rd, 2004, 11:17 AM
My dog just had three puppies yesterday morning. In the afternoon, she developed diarrhea and still has it now. I am taking her to the vet as soon as I get my hands on a vehicle (which should be later today), but I am wondering a) is this a normal postnatal symptom and b) is there anything I can do in the meantime to make her more comfortable? I heard rice might help the stool firm up a bit. Is this true? Any help is MUCH appreciated.

mastifflover
November 23rd, 2004, 11:31 AM
What type of dog is it? I really don't know about the postnatal diareah but I would give your vet a call and see if it is a normal thing. As for the rice just some plain boiled rice I boil mine in chicken broth just for some flavor and some plain chicken in it will give her some food in her tummy and will bind her up a little.You can also give her some pureed pumpkin not the pie filling just pumpkin which is great for loose stool. But speak to your vet. I have not had any experience with pregnancy. So I don't know if this is a normal thing

Bugsy
November 23rd, 2004, 11:35 AM
I fostered a preggers mom not to long ago and she too had diarrhea after
the birth of her babies. My vet told me to feed her boiled rice with boiled minced beef. This mixed with a little dry adult food instead of puppy food..cleared the prob. I think it's kind of normal...however I would get her vet checked just to be on the safe side first.

groundless
November 23rd, 2004, 11:35 AM
mastifflover,

She is a medium-sized very mixed breed. I can't even tell what she is, but I love her dearly.

And thank you for your reply. :)

groundless
November 23rd, 2004, 11:44 AM
Bugsy,

Thanks. I'm boiling some rice right now and will check in with the vet.

mastifflover
November 23rd, 2004, 11:46 AM
The rice should help and keep us posted.

groundless
November 23rd, 2004, 11:49 AM
I hope it does help. And I will keep you posted.

Lucky Rescue
November 23rd, 2004, 12:31 PM
I know you didn't ask for advice about this, but after the puppies are weaned, PLEASE PLEASE get your dog spayed. It will be much better for her - no mammary cancer or pyometra (both of which can kill your dog) and the shelters are already overflowing with mixed breed dogs who will never ever get a home and will die because people don't spay and neuter their animals.

groundless
November 23rd, 2004, 12:41 PM
I know you didn't ask for advice about this, but after the puppies are weaned, PLEASE PLEASE get your dog spayed. It will be much better for her - no mammary cancer or pyometra (both of which can kill your dog) and the shelters are already overflowing with mixed breed dogs who will never ever get a home and will die because people don't spay and neuter their animals.

Yeah, we were planning on it. My husband and I have owners lined up, and we wanted her to be able to have a litter before we spayed her. We try, whenever possible (which is almost always), to not be completely irresponsible.

groundless
November 23rd, 2004, 10:41 PM
I fed her some rice and boiled beef with a little dry food, and she hasn't had diarrhea since I posted about it. She's also been up and about, frisky. She ran around the yard briefly with her sister. So, it looks better. Thank you all!

Bugsy
November 24th, 2004, 12:01 AM
I'm so glad to hear mommy is better :D

(((HUGS))) for mom and the pups... I hope you'll find them all amazing homes.
I would make the new parents sign some sort of contract (make one up), that
states if they cannot keep the pup at any time in it's life... they have to give the dog back to you. This way you'll be sure your baby's babies will be safe :thumbs up

groundless
November 24th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the glad tidings! Very much appreciated.

My Mom said she wanted one; we're going to keep one; and our next door neighbor, too. She only had three pups, so it's lookin good. But if anything falls through, that's excellent advice.

Thanks again. :D

groundless
November 24th, 2004, 01:26 AM
And that last quote is...great.