Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog licking paws excessively

sujean
November 23rd, 2004, 10:39 AM
Tyson has been licking his paws excessively! He can out-groom his paws beyond the cats!!! he lays on his bed and will lick his paw for an hour straight!!

i noticed he would do this if he hurt himself in his crazy ball chasing -but we have not been running him that much during the week due to darkness. i've looked at his paws and pads for injury or swelling or ANYTHING and i can't find anything. and he has NOT been limping...

nothing has changed in the household (except that my sister moved out). his diet has been normal, he is just as playful and active as always. any ideas why he may be doing this?

on another note, i am now officially an addict-i just became a senior member!! whoo hoo!!!

pitbulliest
November 23rd, 2004, 12:04 PM
did he step on any chemicals maybe? Or maybe he has some allergies and his paws are itchy? Hmm..don't know how I can help you with this one. If it becomes really obessive behavior, maybe have it checked out. Just monitor him.

sujean
November 23rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
did he step on any chemicals maybe? Or maybe he has some allergies and his paws are itchy? Hmm..don't know how I can help you with this one. If it becomes really obessive behavior, maybe have it checked out. Just monitor him.

ooh, yeah, his allergies are acting up right now...that could very well be the answer!!

always good to have a couple of heads put together!! thanks!

Copper'sMom
November 23rd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Excessive licking can lead to hot spots and bacterial infection. Seek vet advice if he persists to lick.

Rottimom
November 23rd, 2004, 02:44 PM
My dog used to lick his paws excessively as well. One time he actually got them infected. He was OBSESSIVE about it. Vet suggested a possible food allergy. We think we have it narrowed down to "wheat" being the main cause. Now that we are avoiding all food and treats with any wheat ingredients he is much better! (And there is wheat flour in almost everything!) Natural Balance with duck and potato has worked well.
Good luck. I know how FRUSTRATING it can be. :sad:

Goldenmom
November 23rd, 2004, 03:31 PM
I have no doubt that this is a food allergy or stress related. Try and cut out all Wheat and Corn products and see how he does. This is very common with dogs and allergies.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls