Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

do you think that i should complain further?

jackieb
November 23rd, 2004, 07:36 AM
As many of you know i am completly unhappy with this rental house we complained with the Ontario housing tribunal and they gave us numbers of building inspectors who said it had a furnance so the heat was adequate.

Well anyway we had a bad leak in the porch roof i asked for this to be repaired and have continued to do so at least 5 times one of the times i was told that they couldnt find no one as its a small job and no one wants it.

Also i have a thermostate now i have been setting this at night to keep at 20 degrees with the little ones and once it gets to that tempreture it blows out cold air. I have compossed a another email and letter and will be phoning them again. Now my question is im thinking of phoning the ontario housing tribunal again as the work isnt getting done what do you think ?

Iggette
November 23rd, 2004, 09:04 AM
Hi Jackieb, So, Is it Ontario housing you live in? The type that rent is geared to your income? If so, My mom used to live in Ontario housing and they are a real pain to ever get a job completed and believe me the sqeecky wheel gets the grease!!

I found that the best way to deal with OH is to put your requests for work in writing as well as any maintanance request forms you may have to fill out.

I may have missed an original post about the work you require but if it is a safety issue and several requests have been made and you get no responce threaten to go to your MP and watch them scramble......lol

I used to have to deal with OH for Mom as she was so happy lienient and passive they never bothered with her requests :mad: but when I came on the scene....hahaha :evil: the job got done , her ceiling was cracking and bit by bit stuff was falling down when she told them they sent a guy who put putty on the crack :eek: talk about a bandaid :eek: and it took a month to get that ......I phoned and they informed me that the job was already done.......I told them they better send someone who knows what they are doing because if mom is in the kitchen and the roof caves in I will sue their ass for not completeing the job properly and putting her life at risk :thumbs up So the very next day they came and started to do the job properly while I was there I told the guy what needed to be done and he agreed ....couldn't see why the other guy would not have done it right to begin with .
A month after that they updated the kitchen and baths .....Mom was first on their list :p

P.S If heating is the issue and you dont have to pay hydro get a small heater, winterize windows and doors etc.... is it a house townhouse or apt?

jackieb
November 23rd, 2004, 11:26 AM
no its through a property rental i have been in touch with the tribunal to find exactly where i stand. I have spoken with the rental people again today they cant find anyone to fix the porch

wAggie
November 23rd, 2004, 12:13 PM
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

this is my kind of thread!

Jackie, do u live in toronto??!

omggggggggg, about an hour ago, I had the property standards and fire inspection officers come check out my rental... woooooo hoo!!

fyi, the ppl at tribunal are SOOOOOOOOOOOO rude, F-them.

msg me (if ya live in the t.o.) and I'll explain everything :D :D

I am SOOOOOOOO happy I've made the right decision (making the call) (another reason y i havent been around, lol)

:)

raingirl
November 23rd, 2004, 12:16 PM
I would totally complain again.

This is the process your should follow for repairs (from http://www.geocities.com/torontotenants/law/law.html):

REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE:
Q8: The landlord is refusing to make needed repairs in my apartment. How can I make the landlord carry out their maintenance obligations?
A8: If the landlord does not make repairs on your verbal request, or has a history of not making repairs, put your request in writing, including the date of the letter, and keep a copy.

If the landlord still hasn't done the repairs in a reasonable time, then call your city Building Inspector to make an appointment for them to come out and look at the problem. If the inspector won't come then ask to speak to their supervisor. Get a copy of the inspectors report to save for your records.

If you are still having problems getting repairs done, you will want to try contacting your City Councillor's office to get them involved.

If problems persists, then you may want to contact your lawyer or Legal Clinic, and maybe even apply for a rent reduction on the basis of lack of repair in your apartment.

Now you said it is the porch leaking right? They might not legally have to fix it right away if it's not a living area and the area isn't heated. A Building Inspector will probably say that it's ok during the winter and should be fixed come spring.

As for the heat. Invest in a digital recordable thermometer (they have them at Zellers). Get one that records the temperature daily for about a week or two. Hang it from a string attached to the ceiling so it is 5 feet above the floor and 3 feet from a wall that is facing outside the house (an exterior wall). Record the temps on it for a week or two.

I checked the bylaws for where you live and the temp must not go below 21C (69.8F). If the temp goes below 21 at all, take the machine to your landlord and show him. Advise him where the temps were taking and advise him that other cities use this method to measure temperature.

Keep in mind that 21 C is slightly cool. It's the same temp in my city and I still had to buy a heater to keep my place warm last year. Luckily I didn't have to pay for my hydro, so it was no extra cost to me.

If you don't have to pay extra for your hydro, just buy a small space heater and use it and forget about complaining.

jackieb
November 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
no im in Cambridge i called some inspector up about the coldness he said as long as i had a furnance there was nothing he could do. But i pay the heating cost it doesnt seem very fair and they say they cant find anyone to repair the porch.

wAggie
November 23rd, 2004, 12:29 PM
Jackie, u may have called the wrong inspector for the coldness!!

shesh, I cant remember who deals w that... buildings... i THink.

they would check the furnace. call around, find out from some info centre who to call.

go to a pay fone and dial 411 :D

raingirl
November 23rd, 2004, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by Porch. Is it inside or outside? (I figured outside). If it's leaking outside, how does that affect you? Sorry..but I'm just trying to picture it.

Keep in mind there is a huge shortage of general contractors in Ontario after a strike 2 years ago. I have been trying to get quotes for a carpet and wall removal for one of my files at work. We need three quotes to consider an expense. It's been 9 months, and we have only been able to find one contractor to submit a quote, the rest won't do it because they can get better paying work on commercial jobs.

And for the heat thing, I would call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. I am going to get the contact info for you. Do you have access to the furnace or is it blocked off? Do you have a digital thermometer?

jackieb
November 23rd, 2004, 01:07 PM
we have access to the furnance but cause we have this and its working the building inspector said thats fine. But even in the summer it was cold i pay the heating as for our bedroom its in the loft were there is no insulation or sound proofing. The boys bedrooms are freezing we can have the heat on all day it would be warm then but at a great cost to us. The porch is outside not heated but its the roof that adjoins the house and was coming throught the join of the two.. They said they cant get anyone to fix it as its to small a job we keep alot of stuff in the porch as the house is small with the 3 boys lol!!

raingirl
November 23rd, 2004, 02:09 PM
Ok. I got the contact of someone who can help you.

His name is Frank Schembre, at 519-740-4613. He is from the department of "property standards".

Try calling him and see what he can do.

Just so you know, it's not unusual to have your heating/furnace run all day long. Most people do in a Canadian winter. WHen I lived with my parents my mother wouldn't let it go over 65F (crazy huh??) and even at that, our furnace rarely shut off, probably going 20 out of 24 hours a day. Soundproofing is not mandatory in Ontario, as I know some places that it is required by law. I dobn't know if you mean loft is like an attic or third floor, but those aren't required to be insulated either.

Heating costs are high in Ontario, and it's cold, and most bylaws for insulation and heating aren't enforced. I have never lived anywhere where I have to pay for heating (I would only consider living somewhere where utilities are included in the rent) but a friend of mine in one month last year spent almost as much on her heating as she did on her rent!

jackieb
November 23rd, 2004, 02:39 PM
yes the loft is a atic but we sleep in I cant belive how laspe the laws are hear you wouldnt get away with it in England. We rented a property and had to make sure all sorts were done to it. I will ask guess if i dont get no joy and i get totally fed up i could sub let it but not really keen on this optio,

thanks guys

wAggie
November 23rd, 2004, 02:56 PM
ya... u could try and sublet...

but remember, it IS an attic...

raingirl
November 23rd, 2004, 03:08 PM
quite often people rent out apartments in ontario that aren't "legal". My sister lives in one. They rent out a basement that hasn't been inspected or anything. There is mold growing all over the walls as it keeps flooding. Also, the people who rent them the basement, their teenage daughters keep stealing from my sister and her boyfriend, but they can't do anything about it because the can't find anywhere else to live for what they are paying. If they report to police, they will get kicked out. My sis doesn't work and has a 11 month old disabled son, and the father barely makes minumum wage. they are on a waiting list for supplemental houseing. My sister is so allergic to the owners cat, the mold and the dust, she was hospitalized with anaphylactic shock this week for 3 days (both my sis and I have serious cat allergies and people always laugh and say you can't have allergies that bad to cats..well, look at her!).

Anyway, do you know if your apartment is legal? If the owner of the building didn't intend for the attic to be a livable space, it's not required to be inspected. My parents rent out several places and the rules are simple. Wiring and building codes up to date, locks on all doors to and from apartment, all livable rooms must have ceilings. Heating to 21C. Hot water and cold water, etc. all the basice. I don't know what the laws are on re-inspection though. Maybe the landlord had you place inspected 10-15 years ago when he first rented it, but not since? Who knows?

jackieb
November 23rd, 2004, 03:39 PM
as far as im aware it was =never inspected to rent it is a house so its all ours as such our bedrooms in the loft

thanks though