Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hit a Moose!!

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 10:43 PM
Hi,

I just responded to a few questions on the Board but I am still sort of in shock! On the way home tonight, I hit a moose - headon with my Dodge Caravan! The vehicle is totalled and the moose dead but the amazing thing is myself and my passenger are fine. A few cuts (from the windsheild and driver window smashing into smitherenes upon impact)

At the time it happened, it seemed like this moose just fell out of the sky!! He just appeared tho it was dark and the road slippery. I breaked and went to the left and he bounced off the car onto the side of the road.

I can't believe this actually happened and I am alive to tell about it. The RCMP wanted us to go to the hospital (I was just there covering the ER last nite, lol) but I just have cuts from the glass and of course we are shook up. The fact the vehicle was large, we were not going fast and had our seat belts on saved our lives I think!!!

It goes thru my mind in slow motion!!

So ,ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEATBELT and in an area known to be populated with moose, DRIVE A LARGE SUV, VAN or JEEP!

Sneaky2006
November 22nd, 2004, 10:56 PM
Wow! I am glad you're ok! You're probably gonna be sore tomorrow though...
Wow, a moose, never heard of hitting that one before... we almost hit deer all the time here. As soon as we say something about hitting a deer while driving one always seems to pop up outta nowhere.

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 11:01 PM
The section of this particular highway had at least 1-3 people killed (usually on impact) per year. Last year, five people died in moose related accidents. Many more people have been injured and vehicles damaged.

I had a friend from school die on her way home from work. And the section where we had the accident has a fence to alledgedly keep the moose behind them. (I asked one of the RCMP sgts who gets to keep the moose meat - my passenger is a Native Canadian so she said she did, lol) I dislike moose meat truth be told. But at least we arealive.

The RCMP guys all said a few cm below and even my large SUV and seatbelts would not have saved us!

Sneaky2006
November 22nd, 2004, 11:05 PM
Well someone is looking down on you!
I have never had moose meat, but I will never find out if I like it! I will stick to the basics... even if it's free! :)

Writing4Fun
November 22nd, 2004, 11:18 PM
OMG!! How horiffic that must have been! I'm so glad you and your passenger are okay! Yes, I've heard horror stories about moose accidents in the Maritimes. Driving through northern Ontario is no picnic either (ever try going from Wawa to Sault Ste. Marie in the middle of the night? :eek: ). Wow! Go pour yourself a stiff one and try to unwind a little, okay?? Let us know how you're feeling in the morning.

Karin
November 22nd, 2004, 11:35 PM
Poor moose.

(he/she?)

Bugsy
November 23rd, 2004, 12:54 AM
Ditto "glad you're fine" :D Ditto poor moose :sad:

CyberKitten
November 23rd, 2004, 04:23 AM
Yep, amazingly, in this hunting crazy province - like most of rural Canada tho - I feel sorry for the moose too! They are drawn by the headlights of the vehicles.

In this part if the country, I am a decided minority in vocing that opinon - my viewpoint is not a common one here. Moose hunting is quite extensive and competion for licences brisk. (There is a lottery- given there are too many applicabts for the number of permits). I really dislike hunting for sport and even for food - which in this day and age is hardly necessary.

Growing up, we'd often see moose outside (from afar) and they are such a regal mejestic animal.

I do however, somewhat understand those who are angry with the moose when their 17 year old daughter was killed after a similar head on collision to ours and I mourned the loss of a high school friend who was killed in much the same way. And I fell alseep for a short while tonight - and dreamed of this huge gigantic brown creature with antlers come at me at 100 kph - all 3000 pounds of him! It was a little too close for comfort! I also have a former student who was scarred for life - stitches in her face - and saw her mother die - when they hit a moose head on.

Obviously, the fencing solution is not that appropriate. (I secretly hope it is not the moose I used to often view in the spring. He would be forlornly looking over the fence as if to say - I want to get out of here and play.) The govt needs to find new alternatives to helping these guys stay in the forest -and I do not mean issue more hunting permits!

On the other hand, the moose has no worries about his insurance coverage, sigh!! (I was attending a hospital related mtg so thay do cover us for that so I really hope it does not impact my personal auto insurance, sighh!!!) But the important thing is we are alive! (Humming the Celine Dion song - nah, never mind - I sound worse than Yin Yin when she is in full Meezer meolody and rant (Give me that toy Noooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwreow). :) (That is prob unfair to my baby- she actually carries a wonderful tune , me on the other hand... you do NOT want to know er hear!

LavenderRott
November 23rd, 2004, 06:44 AM
Having spent a couple of years in Northern Maine, I know how dangerous those Mooses can be in the middle of the road! It is incredible that you have no injuries! Glad to hear you are ok.

For anyone that has never seen a moose, they are HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chico2
November 23rd, 2004, 08:51 AM
WoW Cyberkitten,you were extremely lucky and although I am very sad for the magnificent moose,it was a good thing she was killed instantly :sad:
When we drive to South Carolina,we always take our SUV,although it takes twice the gas of my smaller car,simply because it's safer.Also we NEVER drive after dark,in the morning we see the aftermath of the night-time carnage on the high-way,I once counted 55 dead deer on one stretch... :sad:
Moose accidents,although very tragic are not the fault of the moose,I saw a program where special"bridges"had been built over the highway and high fencing and the moose are actually using the"bridges",it's an expensive solution,but will save lives and the moose.

Iggette
November 23rd, 2004, 09:15 AM
A bridge for the Moose.....what a great idea....expensive maybe but one life saved would pay for it !! :thumbs up

Poor Moose :sorry:

Why does the RCMP get to keep the meat? I dont like moose meat myself but hubby loves it and would have argued (if we hit it) that we should get to keep it after all it's small compensation for a wrecked vehicle

Glad you are ok CK hope those nightmares dont last

Schwinn
November 23rd, 2004, 09:39 AM
I'm so glad you are okay! My wife is from Thunder Bay, and she used to drive up from just north of Toronto a few times a year. I used to get nervous when I knew she was driving at night. With moose (meese? Mooses?), you do NOT want to hit one if you can avoid it! I remember being told, "If an animal runs out in front of you, say a little prayer, tell him good-bye, and move on. It's not worth the risk of swerving at speed. Unless it's a moose. Avoid those!".

As for your van, the big joke right with us is that my wife will get the van when we have a kid (I hate minivans almost as much as country music!) That being said, my step-father got in an accident in his Caravan in the spring. He was doing 90 km when some guy swerved in front of him going in the opposite direction. When he came to a stop (after doing a pierrette on the nose of the van on the highway), his foot was still on the gas, and he only knew what happened because he saw the other truck over in a field...and the front end of his van in a ditch! Other than a bruise from the air bag (he's a big guy), he walked away without a scratch. I've got HUGE respect for those Chrysler mini-vans! (I still refuse to get one, though! ;) )

lilith_rizel
November 23rd, 2004, 12:36 PM
Cyberkitten,

I have never hit a moose before, but last year, I was just heading down my old dirt road (still living with my mother) to pick up my sister from work. I was only about 200 feet from home, when a huge buck jumped out infront of me. Well I ended up missing the deer, but I put my mom's van in the ditch. And being that I ran over some small plum trees, and the ditch was a bit steep, I couldn't get the van out. I thought my mom was going to kill me. But no, her, her boyfriend and my sister I was going to pick up laughed at it, and of course they had to take lots of pictures. Luckily I was fine, and the only thing wrong with the van was a flat tire, and a few scratches. I thought that I would never drive again. It scared the crap outta me.

CyberKitten
November 23rd, 2004, 02:15 PM
Lil and erveryone,

Yep, coming into too close for comfort proximity with these guys is very scary!!!! (It just happens so fast)

And yes, it is difficult to describe how astronomically huge these animals are. I've never seen a grizzly bear close up (and do NOT want to, lol) but moose are even bigger than that. In fact, they are the largest land mammal in North merica.

Next to them, a small car looks like a toy!! (I dare say a realy small vehicle like a Honda Civic type) couldm drive under one of these gigantic creatures.

I sttill can't believe it happened.