Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another puppy question...ok maybe 2 questions.

Major's Mom
November 22nd, 2004, 10:36 PM
Major is a 3 month old Mini Schnauzer. He sleeps through the night in his crate and stays 3 1/2 hours in the morning and 3/12 hours in the afternoon in his crate. He has never had an accident in his crate. One of the questions I have is why is it he can hold it for so long at night and in the afternoon, but when I'm at home he can go potty outside and then 2 minutes later when he's back in the house he pees on the floor? I watch him like a hawk (well maybe more like a one-eyed hawk) how or why does he do this? Is his bladder not emptying or do you think he has a bladder infection? :(

Also, he nips and chews on my clothes, hands etc. I know he's a puppy, but what do you do to start letting him know this behavior is unacceptable. I usually give him one of his toys to chew on..this works for a few minutes but then he's after me, my pants etc. again. I don't want him thinking it's ok to nip at me or anyone else. :confused:

Thanks for all your help and Major thanks you as well!

Sneaky2006
November 22nd, 2004, 10:42 PM
For the first question. I don't think he is housebroken just yet, but he doesn't want to pee where he sleeps, so most likely that's why he's not peeing in his crate but will outside and then when he comes in.
As for the training part of it, I am sure some dog owners around here can answer those for you! Good luck :)

Major's Mom
November 22nd, 2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks for your quick response. I know the house training will take longer, just couldn't figure out why he can go outside and then again inside. I'm glad it's "normal", I was getting a little worried. ;)

Sneaky2006
November 22nd, 2004, 10:52 PM
That's really the only piece of solid info I've gotten from my family members with pups. They always say a (normal) dog will not pee where he has to sleep.
Do you have pics of this baby?

Writing4Fun
November 22nd, 2004, 11:13 PM
I'm sure you'll get lots of advice about the nipping in the morning. ;) Personally, we didn't have a huge issue with Phoebe nipping at us. The little bit of nipping she did was stopped easily enough with a stern "No biting!" and stop any play or interaction. If your pup is being persistant, try a little bitter apple on your hands and pant legs. The idea is to make the biting unpleasant and not fun. :p

Major's Mom
November 22nd, 2004, 11:23 PM
He's a cutie!

Major's Mom
November 22nd, 2004, 11:25 PM
Do you find Bitter Apple at your local Pet Mart?

Sneaky2006
November 22nd, 2004, 11:31 PM
Wow he's sooo cute!! How can ya be mad at that face??? :D

Writing4Fun
November 22nd, 2004, 11:53 PM
What a sweetie!! :love:

Yes, you can find bitter apple spray at PetSmart and other pet supply stores. You might even find it at WalMart (although ours seems to be undergoing a radical face-lift, so I can't even find the toilet paper anymore! :p ).

moontamara
November 23rd, 2004, 12:57 AM
The twice peeing thing was really common with my pup too for quite awhile, especially in the morning. I guess after holding it all night they make up for lost time??? Once he learned to let me know when he needed to go out, sometimes I'd be up and down the stairs from my apartment 6 times in the morning all before my husband had even left for work!!! Does your puppy know how to tell you when he needs to go outside yet? Making Casey scratch the door before we went out EVERY time taught him very quickly -- around the same age your pup is now. He still made mistakes -- usually because (like a child) he waited until it was too late! BTW Your pup sure is a cutie!!!

Just wanted to add: Casey now goes out right after breakfast and does both jobs. He comes back in and drinks a ton of water and needs to go out one more time about 45 minutes later.

Major's Mom
November 23rd, 2004, 10:01 AM
Thank you sooo much for the help. I have to keep reminding myself he is very young. And you're right it is hard to get frustrated with such a cute face. I just LOVE puppies! Thanks again for all your help. If anyone has any ideas on the chewing and nipping I'd appreciate it. :thumbs up

kimbilly
November 23rd, 2004, 10:36 AM
Yeah i could do with any advice you receive about the nipping. My little guy keeps biting/nipping me too. I distract him with toys, but 30 seconds later he is at my feet.

Good luck and let me know if you find something that works.

DogueLover
November 23rd, 2004, 11:24 AM
When our Dogue was little she would nip and I didn`t want her to learn that it was acceptable. I asked my sister, who studied animal psychology, and she gave me the best advice.
When the puppies are little and playing with littermates they will often nip them and get nipped. Their mom puts a quick stop to it by grabbing them by the scruff of the neck and giving them a gentle shake. They get the message really quickly.
Now for those of you who will tell me that I was cruel to do the same thing to my puppy I will defend myself by saying it only took doing it twice for angel to learn that nipping was unacceptable behavior. The trick is not to be rough, their mom`s don`t shake them hard so you don`t have to.
I would just grab her by the scruff of the neck and give her a gentle shake and say "No biting" She would lay on the floor and look up at me like I was the meanest bully around but she quit biting.
We would play with her a LOT and she could get pretty wired ( she was going to be a LARGE dog she now weighs 130 lbs) but even after correcting her bad behavior(nipping) she was fun to play with, and she did not nip. Puppy teeth are sharp! and they can do serious damage to clothing, and skin, so if you get them to stop early you are ahead.
I would not have tried this if my sister hadn`t told me that they learn quickly if you mimic the mother`s behavior.

Like I said you have to be gentle, sometimes you don`t even have to shake them just grabbing them by the scruff of the neck clues them in.

Hope this helps.

I`ve attached angels picture so you know where I was coming from on saying she was going to be a LARGE dog. I wouldn`t have wanted her to think nipping was a "fun" game that she played all the way into doghood.

heidiho
November 23rd, 2004, 11:37 AM
I agree with you on that I dont think it is cruel,with a bigger dog..My dog wasnt fazed by much,he did not back off easily..A little shake is needed,just as in a child i believe in a spankin if needed,worked when i was a kid..................................

Major's Mom
November 23rd, 2004, 07:05 PM
Ok, must say Angel is definitly NOT small. She looks like a good girl though. How old is she? Did you have everyone in the house do the scruff of the neck thing or just you. I don't know if we all need to do this just a couple of times or if its a one time deal.....I'm game for anything at this point. :o

DogueLover
November 23rd, 2004, 07:47 PM
Angel is now a 2 1/2 year old wanna be LAPDOG! :p
My feeling is that it is best if your dog learns who is the alpha dog in the house( and yes that can be a human) . My husband is the alpha male in this house and Angel knows it, though he has never had to lay a hand on her for anything( even the shake thing). I was however the disciplinary figure here when she was a puppy because I was here all the time and had to train her.
It should only take a couple of times to get your pup to figure out that when it nips the puppy gets "uncomfortable" and the pup will stop.
It is hard to be everywhere when you have a puppy and it is important to correct the unwanted behavior when it happens, however, a child may not be able to do the correction properly and the puppy may think they want to play. You and your spouse can do it. One other thing that may work for the kids( if there are any) is to scold the puppy( just a firm "NO BITING" should work). My kids would ignore angel if she played rough and she HATED that.

If you get too many bosses in the house the puppy may just get confused and frustrated. Try to have one person do the training, especially when they are really little.

As for the peeing in the house after they have been outside, Angel was taught to "go pee" when she was little. I would take her outside and tell her to "go Pee" and I would keep her outside ( on a leash) until she did. Off leash she would get too distracted.
As an adult dog all I have to do now is let her out and tell her to "go pee" and she does it. Saves waiting all the time for her to do her thing ...... and really nice when it gets cold outside.

Schwinn
November 23rd, 2004, 07:55 PM
We read that when the puppies are in the litter, and they play too rough, often the other puppies would yelp, and go off, play time over. We tried that with Daisy, when she would nip, we'd yelp loudly, and then play time was over. That seemed to work. The other thing I did was when I was feeding her a treat, I would hold it in my hand so she could smell and see it, but not actually get it. I would tell her, "Take nice", and she'd usually try to "snatch" it from my hand. I wouldn't let it go, I'd just say, "NO!" and repeat, "Take nice". You might want to wear a glove if you do this. Although I did enjoy telling my co-workers, who wondered why my hand looked like I lost a knife fight, "Oh that? I was feeding my pitbull treats last night." She actually learned it very quickly. That's now one of her "tricks" when people give her a treat. They're impressed how gentle she takes. And when she whispers. I also once bit her back when she chomped on me hard as a pup. Wow...that didn't sound that crazy in my head...