Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Puppy - need advice

rezults
November 22nd, 2004, 04:08 PM
Hi all-
I just got a 10 week old Miniature Dachshund puppy. Last night was her first day with us and her first day away from her mother and brothers/sisters. She was joyful and playful, however cried and howled like crazy when we put her to bed. My heart couldnt take it so so after a full night of crying and howling we took her to bed with us where she slept peacefully. When is she going to stop this? My fiance and I live in an apartment and work during the day. My biggest problem right now is deciding whether we should keep her in a crate while we're at work or at night time ( I feel bad to lock her up like this) or whether we should baricade the kitchen and let her spend the day there. I read some post that the kitchen is too much space while a puppy is in training. Any suggestions??? I want to train her the optimal way and at the same time not imprison her to tiny quarters while we're away at work. Thank you all!!!

BMDLuver
November 22nd, 2004, 04:24 PM
Where did she come from? Normally when you receive such a young pup the location she was adopted/purchased from gives you guidance and advice.

DogueLover
November 22nd, 2004, 04:31 PM
When angel was a puppy we had to crate train her for night time because we knew she would be a BIG DOG one day and she would hog the bed.( She does sleep at the top of the stairs when we are asleep and hogs the bed when my hubby is gone to work.
She howled like a wild dog for one night, but then I figured she was scared so I put her crate beside our bed so that she could see us. We had a wire crate so we put a blanket over the top and the door facing the bed. I put a hot water bottle in a sheepskin pillowcase and put her to bed. She whined for a little while until she noticed that I was ignoring her, then she found the hot water bottle and slept on that.
Maybe she is the exception to the rule but it worked for me.
To this day she only comes up on the bed with us when we are still awake, she usually goes to the top of the stairwell and sleeps there.

Give it a try, I also heard that a ticking alarm clock will help soothe them to sleep.

Good luck. ;)

rezults
November 22nd, 2004, 05:21 PM
To answer your question, I purchased her from a breader in Cailfornia. I didn't get any instructions except for feeding. I will try the hot water bottle trick. That's a great idea.

What do you all think about where she should be while no one is at home. I work around the corner and usually come home for lunch so she would be home by herself for 4 hours. Should I crate her or just close her in the kitchen. Is an entire kitchen too much space for her? Thanks.

jjgeonerd
November 22nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
For the 1st 2 weeks we kept Gabby in a crate while we were at work...we came home at lunch to let her out and play for about an hour. That will hep crate train your puppy, which is an easy 1st step to house training; however, a puppy that small probably can't hold it for 4 hours I would guess.

Gabby was already crate trained when we got her (3 months old), so after a couple weeks we just let her have a small bedroom with a tile floor. When she had an accident we told her no and put her in the crate for the 2nd half of the day. She learned not to go in the bedroom fairly quick.

This worked for us, but she was 3 months old when we got her, so she could hold it for the 4 hours we were at work. Someone else may have a better idea since she is so young. Good luck :thumbs up

heidiho
November 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM
Where are pics????I love dachshunds they are adorable

BMDLuver
November 22nd, 2004, 05:46 PM
Most small breed puppies can only go a maximum of 2 hours without peeing, some only succeed in longer times when they reach a year old. You may want to work on puppy pads if you are gone for 4 hours so that the puppy at least knows that's an ok spot to go when no one is home.

Batman
November 22nd, 2004, 07:22 PM
Hey! I have a puppy that is just 10 weeks old as well and I live in an apartment. I have gone hunting the internet for the answers to your questions as well, and I have one weeks extra experience with a puppy.

At night we put Batman's crate on a chair facing our bed (right beside me). By bedtime he is usually asleep because I let him pass out with me while I watch some TV. When I put him in he usually whines a bit and will cry unless I stick a finger in to reassure him. Over the past week he needs that reassuring less and less. I am planning on slowly stopping the finger and eventually moving him to the floor. I like having him next to me because I can hear him whining when he needs to go to the washroom (sometimes as early as 1:30am, and then sometimes at 3:30 and always at 5:30).

Batman is now able to hold his bladder for almost 3 hours. I was also unsure as to whether I should just leave him in the crate or let him have the kitchen and the crate. I couldn't find any answers so we just keep him in the crate. He has had a couple accidents in his crate but he will only do this if we leave him up to three hours. My best friend is a vet and she just told me it is best to have a crate and a small area for him to pee on outside the crate. I haven't tried this yet since I my fiance and I are going to try to be home every three hours. You an buy a gate thing that can go around the crate so the area is smaller than your kitchen.

I have discovered that even though Batman is still so young he is very open to training. He knows sit really well and comes when called, is starting to understand drop-it and will now sit at my feet if he wants attention, instead of jumping up.

Batman still barks in his crate when we leave him but the barking is getting quieter and not lasting as long. I know some people will send a note to their neighbours to let them know they have a new puppy. We just told ours so they would understand the barking and that it wouldn't last forever.

One last thing... house breaking. I would STRONGLY recommend keeping a log of what your little guy does everyday. I have a chart where I keep track of the time of day he does everything. I now know he poops at 5:30 and then around 8:00, he does two pees at lunch time etc... I am finding this really helpful. Also you REALLY do need to watch the pup constantly or he will pee when you turn your eyes for two seconds. Honestly having a puppy is WAY WAY more work than I ever thought, but so worth it.

Good Luck!!!

Please post pics!!

Lucky Rescue
November 22nd, 2004, 08:29 PM
The 10 week old Doxie is to be left alone all day in an apartment? How many hours? Getting tiny puppies when no one is home all day is a bad idea. They cannot hold it, and will mess in their crate or whatever, making housetraining VERY difficult.

This is just a general observation, but I'm finding that people are expecting WAY too much from tiny puppies. These are little babies and you can't expect them to be completely reliable in the housetraining department until at least 6 months. In the case of a tiny breed like yours, it could take much longer.

For such a small puppy, you need to use an X-pen instead of a crate and leave papers or puppy pads at one end of it for her to use when you go out. It will take longer to housetrain this way, but there really is no choice..

If you confine her at night and during the day,(assuming you work a regular work day) this means she will confined alone for about 16 hours a day. I'm afraid this can cause behavioral or psychological problems, since dogs are pack animals and not meant to live solitary lives of confinement.

I guess you'll have to let her sleep with you for now, since she needs to be with her "pack" sometimes.

rezults
November 23rd, 2004, 12:37 PM
She will be alone for about 4 hours a day. I work a few blocks from home so i usually come for for about 1 - 2 hours during the middle of the day for lunch and my finace comes home from work at 4pm...so the puppy isnt left alone for too long.
Last night i put her crate (left open so she could get out a go to the bathroom on a wee wee pad) right next to my bed. Every time she cried I pet her in her crate and this worked beautifully.

I will post pics of the little devil soon. Thanks.

Heinz57
November 23rd, 2004, 12:53 PM
You will most likely NEVER housebreak this dog totally, it's just part of being a doxie. :) If you can get your doxie to go out 85% of the time, you're doing really well. I have a male neutered 3 yr old mini that I took in 2 yrs ago. He was used to "piddle pads" all over his previous home. You can buy them at Wal-Mart, not a bad idea for puppies or older dogs with incontinence. I stopped using them because I thought he was old enough to go out and the pads were not helping this cause. I am home all day (most days except for shopping and such) so I can be here to let him out the 10 times a day or so he NEEDS. He still has "accidents" through the night at times and during the day if I'm out too long. Your pup is only 10 wks, she's going to need to "go" frequently. I hope you researched this breed and know that most doxies will try to train the owner rather than be trained and can be quite a challenge. They are quite intelligent dogs (I DID read that, have to say I don't think Hooch did though! LOL) and very "determined" to have their way. I agree with Lucky that the pup is alone far too much, maybe if you have room and are financially able you could adopt a small older pup for company. Best to you and puppy.
Just posted my reply after leaving the computer for a bit and noticed you posted back above me. The hours alone for the puppy now don't seem as long, being as you come home for lunch and hubby comes home at 4 pm. Glad she did better in the crate at night, she'll be missing her littermates for the first while, young puppies often cry for their siblings.

heidiho
November 23rd, 2004, 01:13 PM
My parents had dachshunds when i was growing up they were completley housebroken i dont think that applies to ALL of them

Heinz57
November 23rd, 2004, 01:20 PM
I didn't mean to imply all dogs of any breed are the same in all aspects. It's just an important factor in raising a Dachshund.

heidiho
November 23rd, 2004, 01:44 PM
They are my other choice if not a greyhound, i just love them

Bugsy
November 23rd, 2004, 11:41 PM
Heidiho

If you like greyhounds and doxies....look at this. It is an italian greyhound they only weigh in at 6-10 lbs. They are adorable & so delicate. A friend I work with has 2.... they are the cutest little things.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/italiangreyhound.htm

DogueLover
November 24th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Just wondered if you have tried any of the advice you got on here and if any of it worked.
Good luck with the puppers! :thumbs up

rezults
November 25th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Looks like its getting better with every day. The first day she cried nonstop...kept us up all night. The second night she would sleep for an hour then wake up and cry until she got attention. And now she'll make a peep at night here and there...but LAST NIGHT I SLEPT!

I dont have the heart to lock her in a crate either when she's sleeping at night or if we leave for several hours. Instead, she has the entire kitchen to herself, complete with a doggy bed, her little house, a blacket to lay out on and lots of toys. Since I wont be able to take her out for a few weeks (she still needs shots) we are training her to go on wee wee pads.

All in all, everything has gotten much better. The first few days with a pup is rough. Thank you all for your advice.

heidiho
November 25th, 2004, 04:04 PM
I am torn,i had doxies growing up,i want to save a greyhound,but i dont want to get another dog that has issues,alot of people say get a doxie,i am gonna look at both and see what happens.....

Heinz57
November 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Great to hear it rezults! Glad things are easing up for you :)
Good luck in your search heidiho. I think all dogs have "issues" of some sort after going through so much in such short times. Rescues are almost a breed in themselves ;) You'll find the one that's right for you and they'll love you forever. A dog with issues needs to come "home" and unpack all their baggage. You need to be there to help them unpack, sort through the issues and help them realise they don't need to re-pack ever again :love: