Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Louie's first dr's appt

louie's mum
November 22nd, 2004, 05:03 PM
well we're off to the vet tomorrow. time to get this boy checked out and get his shots done. i'm also curious to see what age they think he is. i'm thinking 6 or 7 months but not quite sure. looks like he has 4 full adult teeth for sure and others are coming in.
borrowed an unused kennel to transport him. hoping he's not too anxious. (i hate upsetting him cuz i don't want to change his wonderful little (big) personality :D
he's starting to 'speak' to me more the past couple of days. he seems a little restless at times and squeaks out his protests. (he doesn't have a 'normal' meow. squeaker would have been a good name for him). anyway ... we play ... A LOT (so i can tire the little beggar out and give him good exercise - he's really grown in the past couple of weeks).
wondering if this new protesting could be caused by not being neutered? ( i'll be making those plans tomorrow when i see the vet in person). would i know automatically if he's sprayed anywhere? (my house is clean but is it a really pungent smell?) hope i get this taken care of before he starts.
i know there are a couple of questions in this post already but should i take a stool sample from the litter box to check for worms?
also how do they do a urine test? (kind of hate to ask since it conjers up catheters and unpleasant memories of my own :rolleyes: )
thanks to anyone answering this. hope i'm not being too much of a pest. :o

chico2
November 22nd, 2004, 05:13 PM
Sometimes they like to see a stool sample,so it's a good idea to bring some..
As for urine-test,I don't think they need one,unless there is a problem.
I brought one once from my diabetic cat and I sneaked up on him when he was doing his thing in the litter-box,he gave me a funny look :crazy: ,but I got a good enough amount.
I doubt very much he's spraying already,my cats were not neutered before 7-8 months,that was the age my vet wanted to do it.
He'll more than likely howl in the car,all mine do,but he'll be sooo happy coming back home again. Good Luck!!

Lucky Rescue
November 22nd, 2004, 09:41 PM
If Louie were spraying in the house, believe me, your nose would tell you! The reek of tomcat spray is unmistakable and extremely pungent and rank.:p

If he's really 7 months old then he is approaching sexual maturity and that can cause restlessness. Once he's neutered, he'll be fine.:)

Sneaky2006
November 22nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
Getting your male neutered asap I say, the sooner the better! If he is 6 or 7 months old, they can do it any time. It seems like once they spray, it's always gonna be there... I swear, certain high humidity days I get a whiff of it sometimes.... Although I am totally crazy about that sort of thing... I can smell things a mile away, I think.
Like Chico said... mine howl in the car too, nonstop on the car ride... he'll be ok though. Good luck and let us know what the vet says! :D

louie's mum
November 23rd, 2004, 04:32 PM
WHEW .... glad that's over ... i don't know who's more traumatized - me or Louie :love: i'll be so relieved to have the neutering done then we can get back to the lovin' ;)
doc says he is about 7 months, a healthy young adult cat, had 'a' flea (lol i know better than THAT so we've got 6 months of advantage to look forward to - any advice about this would be appreciated - he will be indoors). oh yeah and he weighs 3.5 kg (*about 7.5 lbs). i know he's gained at least 2 lbs since i got him.
probably has worms, hates getting his teeth looked at, hates getting his nails trimmed - doc had to take him in the back with asst. and boy did he cry.
not sure about the needle cuz they did that in the back too. the howling made me want to cry :sad: :sad: my poor poor baby. i'm so proud of him but i doubt i'll EVER coax him back into the carrier so not sure what i'll do when he gets neutered.
the doc works at another clinic and will make arrangements to have louie fixed (or broken ;)) there, and it will save me around $15 which may not sound like much but when u live alone on a fixed income well ... it does help.
he cried all the way there and all the way home.
sooooo now that we're home, he was very tentative hopping back up to his fav spot in the window so i helped him up and he's now fast asleep. i think we're both totally exhausted from our adventure.
hope he doesn't have any adverse reactions over night. thanks for all the advice and good wishes. i appreciate u all so much :D

chico2
November 23rd, 2004, 05:12 PM
It's funny he reacted that way at the vet,but I guess they are all different,mine freeze and the vet can do whatever she wants with them,afterwards they'll run into the carrier :D
It takes me upwards of half an hour to get them into the carrier to go to the vet,but I bought a bag-style carrier in the US,I think it will be better,easier to get them in(I think).Vinnie is going Friday,so we'll see...

CyberKitten
November 23rd, 2004, 06:09 PM
Hi,

Sounds like Louie did alright tho - despite the crying.

How old did the vet say Louie is?

I do Yin Yin's nails - have done them all of once and a half is that makes sense, lol (and she does not mind - no seering Siamese sqwaks anyway). Plius it is a piece of cake to do hers compared to Tanner - my dear decesed bunny.

She was OK at the vet too, a bit of a whimper with her needles and a plantive look at the vet as if to ask, "Why did you do that to me? I was being nice to YOU" She licked the vet before we left tho she did not hold any grudges, lol

louie's mum
November 24th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Hi,

Sounds like Louie did alright tho - despite the crying.

How old did the vet say Louie is?

I do Yin Yin's nails - have done them all of once and a half is that makes sense, lol (and she does not mind - no seering Siamese sqwaks anyway). Plius it is a piece of cake to do hers compared to Tanner - my dear decesed bunny.

She was OK at the vet too, a bit of a whimper with her needles and a plantive look at the vet as if to ask, "Why did you do that to me? I was being nice to YOU" She licked the vet before we left tho she did not hold any grudges, lol

he said louie is around 7 months. :angel:
that's funny ... one and a half times for the nail trimming? i think that's what u were saying. i can understand that. i got him one day when he was all sleepy and sweet and managed to get 2 or 3 trimmed but then it was like he was on to me and didn't want any part of it (even when treats were introduced - like bribing a kid!) hoping the vets trim lasts for months and months !!!!!!

chico2
November 24th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Trimming a cats nails is a two-man job,I usually hold the cat and cuddle him and my husband does the trimming....but Rocky,forget it!!! He gets his trimmed at the vet only once a year,but seems to do ok,with the cat-tree and when he goes out with me.I got a big tree looking a little worse for wear because of the cats :D

CyberKitten
November 24th, 2004, 04:59 PM
The one and a half is one full time and the half was one paw - she ran off before I could get to the other one. Yin Yin put up little fuss but that may change as she gets older. The best way is to get them when they are half asleep. Before they know it, you are halfway thru one claw. <g>

Now, trimming my bunny's nails was ALOT trickier, lol

She has a large scracthing post but seems to think my computer chair is also for her nails. She touches nothing else though and it is an old chair so I really don't care. I'll get another one and keep that one for her. She thinks it's her plaything.