Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

should they be put to sleep?

candyapplevirus
November 22nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
Hello, i have a serious question to ask, we have 4 dogs and had a cat, last night our 2 large dogs were put into the garage because it was raining and my mother and i went to the store. when we got home my dad informed me that my cat had somehow gotten into the garage and the dogs had killed him. during the summer this year i had to have my cat put to sleep because she was dying with feline leukemia and wasnt going to make it much longer, My cat Noah, the one that was just killed, wed only had 4 months but i had a great attachment to and its hit me hard. heavily desistated i dont know what to do. the 2 dogs have gotten lose twice before and killed a neighbor's cat and wounded another. I, at this point have no emotional attachment to these dogs but am not sure what i should do with them. We will no longer keep them, should they be put to sleep. also these 2 dogs were strays we took in that we ended up keeping because no homes could be found for them.

mastifflover
November 22nd, 2004, 04:41 PM
No they should not be put to sleep. Some dogs have a very high prey drive this is not a reason to kill them. Sorry but take them to a shelter or rescue and tell them they have a high prey drive and they will hopefully find them a home. How long have you had them? It sounds like you have had them for awhile.

GsdDiamond
November 22nd, 2004, 04:49 PM
Are you serious? You keep these dogs in a garage, with no social interaction with people, they escape and kill the neighbours cats, then yours, and you think its their fault? No bloody well likely. These dogs need to be loved and to be trained, plain and simple.

My dog also acts like a crazy beast when I'm not paying attention to her. Is it her fault? No, it's MY fault.

Do these dogs a favor and put them up for adoption. With the proper training ANY untrained dog has a fighting chace.

You, yourself, said you had no emotional attachment to these dogs. They can feel that you know. No wonder they don't give a hoot about rules....THERE ARE NONE. Dogs need rules, and to be guided with a gentle hand to follow the rules. Left to fend for themselves, they become wild, and unruley. Do them a favor, send them to a better home, where they'll be loved.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but this is just crazy...put to sleep because you don't have time to teach them. Really! :mad:

Sneaky2006
November 22nd, 2004, 04:58 PM
Sorry but killing these dogs will not bring back your cat. And you don't even know which one did it?! If you don't want them, at least take them to a shelter, then they'll have a chance!

chico2
November 22nd, 2004, 05:25 PM
I know,looking back at your earlier posts,how you loved your cat,as I do mine.
It must have been a terrible experience,but killing the dogs is hardly fair,neither is keeping them if you don't love them.
I don't know how you got to have 4 dogs,if you are not emotionally attached?? Maybe another family-member is?
What kind of dogs are they??
Try to re-home them if at all possible and please do not get another cat,for now :sad:

BMDLuver
November 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
If I get this correctly, your dogs live outside and are in the garage when no one is home? If so, and you have no attachment to these dogs, for heavens sakes, give the dogs a better life and find them new homes. Don't blame the dogs for killing the cats, perhaps if time and training had come into play this would never have happened. As you do not mention what type of dogs, we have no idea if it's a breed that likes to harm cats or not. I really think the best thing for the dogs is to get the h*ll out of your place. Sorry to be blunt but ending an animals life for this reason doesn't seem very fair.

candyapplevirus
November 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
The dogs are put into the garage when its raining outside because one doesnt like storms and will freak out and dig out. both are mutts and from what we know one is part chow and lab the other is some kind of breed mix. yes the rest of my family is attached to them and it will be up to pretty much my mom what happens to them and so on, part of this was blowing off some steam and venting, sorry if i sounded like an animal terrorist
oh and also, im planning on not getting another cat or any other animal, i have 2 more years before im off to college and think it wouldnt be fair to leave him at home or bring him with me because time will be an issue, thanks for the advice

heidiho
November 22nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Why are they put in the garage???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????I am mean really WHY have a pet

louie's mum
November 22nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
yes the rest of my family is attached to them and it will be up to pretty much my mom what happens to them and so on, part of this was blowing off some steam and venting, sorry if i sounded like an animal terrorist

it's important to vent and let ur anger and sadness out. try to remember that not all dogs and cats will get along. i believe even with the best training instinct can take over the animal and he's only doing what's natural to him. additionally, who knows what the circumstances were when ur beloved kitty was killed. the dogs don't know what they did wrong (well maybe they do) but if u were active and involved with the dogs before this u may want to try to love them again. they ARE worthy of it.
i'm so sorry about ur kitty. :sad:

Bugsy
November 23rd, 2004, 01:35 AM
I can only say... In this unfortunate situation the humans in the houshold seem more at fault than the dogs. I do not believe these dogs were properly introduced to the poor kittie. It appears they were usually seperated. This was a ticking timebomb... :sad:

Did you believe your dogs would instinctivley love the kittie :confused:

moontamara
November 23rd, 2004, 03:38 AM
Please note that the OP is one member of a family (not one of the heads of the family either, but a daughter). She is probably not responsible for the dogs so how they are kept is not up to her. She is now grieving the loss of her cat. Let's be gentle.

Candyapplevirus, sorry for your loss!

chico2
November 23rd, 2004, 09:02 AM
Moonie,I see that too now...she was venting her anger and sorrow and I can completly understand that and they are NOT her dogs,so whether she cares for them or not is irrelevant.
She's simply grieving her cat,who died a horrible death,believe me I would be destroyed should it ever happen to any of my cats.

doggy lover
November 23rd, 2004, 09:00 PM
Sorry about your cat, but some dogs are just like that. I've seen dogs kill chipmonks, squrrels and ground hogs. To your dogs the cat was no different, its just they have a high prey drive. Training will help, get someone that knows what they are doing.

lil_kirk
November 23rd, 2004, 09:09 PM
I can't really see how it's the dogs fault anyways since they appear to be OUTDOOR dogs who live in a fenced yard--if they are always outside they may not even know that the cat (s) are a part of the family...to them it's just another fur ball to chase after!

Again, I do feel sorry for your loss. I can only imagine...but in defence of the dogs...I had to say this.

PetFriendly
November 26th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Do you guys know that most people don't know nearly as much as you do about dogs...

Her family took the dogs in as strays... One could assume that they didn't know the dogs had high prey drives... That they thought a cat could defend itself without getting mauled... That they thought maybe if a dog kills a cat, it should be treated like a dog who bites humans...

Instead of jumping all over her, maybe we could have nicely suggested that the Humane Society or a local rescue would be better able to deal with the dogs. Or, we could have explained a little better exactly what 'prey drive' means... But that's just my perception of things.

mastifflover
November 26th, 2004, 06:00 PM
No they should not be put to sleep. Some dogs have a very high prey drive this is not a reason to kill them. Sorry but take them to a shelter or rescue and tell them they have a high prey drive and they will hopefully find them a home. How long have you had them? It sounds like you have had them for awhile.
If you read all the post I think that is what I suggested to her I was the second post. We realize that is why people come her to ask questions they need answers. We try to help as much as possible but unfortunately we are also animal lovers and when someone wants to pts an animal we want them to have good reasons not just the easy way out

Lucky Rescue
November 26th, 2004, 09:49 PM
I"m very sorry this happened and it must have been very traumatic for you. I can only imagine what it's like.

But a dog should not be killed for acting like a dog, any more than a cat should be killed if it gets the family pet bird.

It was an accident, and no one's fault and these dogs shouldn't lose their lives over an oversight.

R. Rish
December 14th, 2004, 03:38 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. That truly was a tragic thing to have happened. But it does raise some questions on my part. I have a Golden Retriever and a Chocolate Lab, who live inside with me. They have a fenced yard but I also have horses and they dearly LOVE to go to the barn with me and sometimes do. This is not a good idea for the barn kitty, Boo. They ineviditably chase him, but Boo always gets away with no problem. When Boo was a kitten, they were around him more and didn't really pay him much attention in the house. But outside, if he runs - they chase. I don't THINK they would do anything to him, but who really knows? Cisco, the Lab LOVES to play. The question is...how do you train a dog to be gentle and kind to a cat? I am asking this because I now have a kitten who may very well end up living inside due to the posiblity that he may lose his sight. Some of you may have read about my situation with Will. Right now, he is 5 weeks old. I have brought him out and try to introduce his gradually to the dogs. Cisco pokes him with his nose - he thinks Will is a toy for him. NOt in a mean way but he IS kinda rough trying to play. Ch-Ching (the mom) is deathly afraid of the dogs. She is not allowed out of her room unless the dogs are outside. If they are lying in front of her door, looking underneath, she spits and hisses and reaches her feet out under the door and tries to scratch them. This results in growls and barks and a fair amount of kaos. For this reason, Ch-Ching is probably going to join Boo as a barn kitty when she is a little stronger and the kitten doesn't need her company. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to bring Will (the kitten) into contact with the dogs to encourage a peaceful coexistance? Since he is still so little and still sick, I am still very hesitant about too much interaction. Suggestions?

Lucky Rescue
December 14th, 2004, 07:55 PM
These dogs should be allowed NO interaction of any kind with a sick, 5 week old kitten.

What's wrong with the kitten? Is the mother feeding it? Please keep the dogs away from it, as allowing them to poke it with their noses will bring more stress to a fragile kitten.

You can teach your dogs to "Leave it". It may be harder since you have allowed them to chase the cat in the barn and learn what fun chasing cats is. BUT they can learn that chasing cats in the house is not allowed.

And please get any female cats spayed. One thing the world doesn't need is more kittens, not to mention that constantly having litters is very debilitating for the mother cat.

acdlover
December 14th, 2004, 08:48 PM
:sorry: im so sorry for your loss,but that is no reasons to have the dogs pts,i just heard a story on the news tonite of a guy who kept finding dead kitens and cats in his yard he knew it was the neigbors dog so he finally when they werent home went over there to his kennel and took the dog out in some woods behind his house and tied the dog to a tree and shot him several times,i couldnt beleive what i was hearing,what kind of person would do that to an animal,hes going to be tryed for i think 3 different things wrongfully killing an animal is one of them.but what i think you should od is see about getting them trained, but if you really dont want them please give them a chance to have a loving family.but im really sorry for your loss i know how it is to lose a friend :sad:

jen & blue

louie's mum
December 15th, 2004, 09:53 PM
:sorry: im so sorry for your loss,but that is no reasons to have the dogs pts,i just heard a story on the news tonite of a guy who kept finding dead kitens and cats in his yard he knew it was the neigbors dog so he finally when they werent home went over there to his kennel and took the dog out in some woods behind his house and tied the dog to a tree and shot him several times,i couldnt beleive what i was hearing,what kind of person would do that to an animal,hes going to be tryed for i think 3 different things wrongfully killing an animal is one of them.but what i think you should od is see about getting them trained, but if you really dont want them please give them a chance to have a loving family.but im really sorry for your loss i know how it is to lose a friend :sad:

jen & blue

OH MY GOD. please tell me this person is being charged and will be prosecuted for cruelty. unbelievable. :sad: