Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat bath

coonlover
November 22nd, 2004, 01:29 PM
I would like to give my new cat a bath, has fleas and has been treated but now theres all this "flea dirt" on her skin. I know cats dont usually like getting a bath but she is dirty... any advice??

GsdDiamond
November 22nd, 2004, 01:34 PM
Thick gloves and the ability to stop bleeding quickly.

Oh, and praying might not hurt either.

coonlover
November 22nd, 2004, 01:41 PM
YIKES!!! I'm scared

Dukieboy
November 22nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
I think at least two people are required to even attempt the task. One person to hold the other to wash. You can try wrapping a towel around the cat below the head to contain the cats weaponry, The hind legs will come into action so wear a heavy coat and serious gloves. Good luck.

lilith_rizel
November 22nd, 2004, 01:48 PM
Shallow water, maybe only a few inches or so, and use a cup to pour water on the kitty, while holding her with the other hand. And have everything you could possibly need for the bath before hand.

If she is a stubourn one, you might want to put on shorts and a tanktop, and hop in the tub with her, and put her in a corner of the tub, with you facing her. I had to do that with Mittzi, my Corgi, I had when I was 13 years old. Trapping her in a corner of the tub really helped.

Use a gentle and mild shampoo, try finding one that is just for cats. It will help with keeping her skin moist a bit.

lilith_rizel
November 22nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
Oh, and plenty of lovin' afterwards, with a few kitty treats. Let er know that she did a good job, and that she wasn't being punished!

GsdDiamond
November 22nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
Don't be scared, but heed what Dukie said. Only attempt a bath with two people present.

Do get thick gloves, for the person holding the cat, as the cat may bite and kick/scratch like crazy to get away from the water. If you're going to use running water from an attachable tap hose, then have the water on a bare trickle. Too fast and the cat may get spooked. Or, you could have just a bit of water at the bottom of the sink/basin and use a little cup to pour water on the cat. Try to talk soothingly and quietly to the cat, as it may help a bit.

If the cat isn't traumatized by the ordeal, then if you need to give a bath again, it'll be a bit easier. Eventually the cat may come to like getting wet, although I haven't met too many that do.

Good luck!

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 01:56 PM
I had to give Yin Yin a very short "bath" as she managed to get some "poo" on her behind. Besides some very loud Siamese squawking and yowling, I only have a few scratches to show for my effort, lol (She actually still jumps in the sink so she wasn't too spooked!). She thinks she can drink water from the tap - even though I only want her to drink bottled water. (But the water one is not suupsed to drink is sooo much better, ;) )

I also thought, "oh well, she's just a baby kitten so I do not need gloves" Famous last words, lol Mind you, if she were not such a sweetheart, I think I'd be covered in scratches and bites. My best advice is to keep out the betadine, lol (for you, not kitty).

Have you looked at other alts tho? Often for fleas, there are other things one can do.

lilith_rizel
November 22nd, 2004, 02:05 PM
If we were to give Cano only bottled water, we would be flat out broke. He drinks over a gallon a day, sometimes, I think he drinks up to 3!! But atleast I know he is getting enough, plus half the water ends up on the floor. He's a messy drinker!!!! LOL. James and I make a habbit of drinking bottled water only. We both grew up on well water and can't stand the taste of city water, plus we have heard that the town water here, really isn't the best, and still a bit dirty.

Anyways, when James and I had to give BK a bath, we also put on his harness, so we could hold the top of it. It was actually rather easy. Neither of us got scratched too bad, just a tiny one each is all. We made is short as possible, but when you are trying to get litter off a cat, it isn't very easy. Don't know why he decided to sleep in his litter one night. You just have to be very patient, is all, and be prepared if she is stubourn, most cats wil be.

Lucky Rescue
November 22nd, 2004, 02:22 PM
I would not attempt to do this. You can comb out the flea dirt - which is no big deal anyway - and save your skin.;)

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 02:25 PM
Well, cats drink less water anyway and Yin Yin is so small she hardly makes a dent in a 500 ml bottle of evian, lol It is not advised to give cats unflitered water (and you can get filters relatively cheaply).

I once gave my nephew lab a bath and he barked at me - he NEVER barks. It was too funny. He barked at me as if to say, "Look you idiot, you got me all wet" Even though labs love water and I was always afraid he'd jump into the pool - he never did thank goodness or the lining would be shot - but he does always find the muddiest place in front of the house to roll about it. (One of his few transgressions.)

Otherwise, he is a great dog too. Needs attention all the time tho - just like Yin Yin. Once I was mowing the lawn and he just stood there and barked (again!) to tell me I should be playing with him, not with that inanimate noisy object. Hah.

I'd better get back to work. This Board is becoming addictive - sort of like tuna and cats.

LR, if you read this re tuna, I was told by another people doc that I should not give Yin Yin people tuna (and this was AFTER I'd purchased a case of the stuff knowing she or some Siamese would be arriving) I did give Garfield (er T Chat) some tho. You mentioned on another issue that it was OK. Is that true?

chico2
November 22nd, 2004, 02:34 PM
I definetly agree with Lucky,don't even attempt it,get a finetoothed comb and comb the dirt out,kitty will take care of the rest himself.
I've had tons of cats,never once have I given them a bath,it's just not necessary.
Except once,Vinnie when found was soooo dirty,you could hardly see he was white,but he was just a tiny kitten.

lilith_rizel
November 22nd, 2004, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=CyberKitten]
I once gave my nephew lab a bath and he barked at me - he NEVER barks. It was too funny. He barked at me as if to say, "Look you idiot, you got me all wet" Even though labs love water.......QUOTE]

This isn't that case with my lab, he's afraid of water LOL. I am sure it will change when we bring him up north to my mother in laws, house, she live on the river, so he may do better with water there.

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Lil,

I think they like to play "in" water like ponds and lakes and they love to swim. But yep, a bath is not the same thing to them, not the fun acticity jumping in the water is.

I am sure he'll love the water near your mil's place.

coonlover
November 22nd, 2004, 03:29 PM
Ok maybe we'll forget about the bath, and get a comb for the fleas, but she also seems to have dry skin (probably from sctratching) and a few scabs on her back too, so is there something I can put on her to moisturize her skin and fur without harming her when she licks herself which she does an awful lot.

chico2
November 22nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Coonlover,I don't know about any moisturizer for cats,maybe someone else does,but a bath will dry her skin even more.
Give her some time,her own natural oils will eventually take care of dry skin.
If there is a mosturizer I guess that's ok,don't forget she will be licking it,so it would have to be something especially for cats.
I am glad you got rid of the fleas,it must be awful for any animal to have fleas.Good Luck :thumbs up

glasslass
November 22nd, 2004, 05:14 PM
I've always given Puss-Puss a bath at the start of flea season with Flea-Flea Bar Soap. No water in the bottom of the tub but I put a heavy towel on the bottom so she won't slip around and use a handheld shower attachment. It's always been really easy and she's so loving afterwards because she feels clean and fluffy. Puss-Puss was our first cat and I didn't know it's supposed to be difficult. She's never fought me or struggled. She watches Den-Den get bathed. Maybe, she doesn't know she's supposed to hate it.

chico2
November 22nd, 2004, 05:19 PM
I use Advantage from June-October,it's a little pricey and some will say it's not good for the cats,but so far no problems and I have always used it.
I think f you get a cat used to a bath right from kitten-hood he might not fight it,but it really is not necessary to bath a cat.

BMDLuver
November 22nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't try it either. My vote is to send your cat to be groomed. That way a professional is doing it and no one gets hurt. :thumbs up

sujean
November 22nd, 2004, 05:59 PM
i found that if you have a shower stall, one where you can close the door, that always helps. i take a bucket of water in there with me, close the door and use a cup to pour the water on them. that way, they can run around and if they get aggressive, i don't have to try to hold on to him.

really, the worst is the NOISE!!! yu would think i was killing the cats...

if you are feeling brave, i would try it. :D i have gotten my cats at least getting wet. now, whenever i shower, they come in and scratch at the shower door!

happy bathing! :crazy:

coonlover
November 22nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
Hmmmmmmmm decisions decisions, I just feel so bad for her constantly scratching and chewing and the scabs on her back are very sensitive to touch, she gives me a little bite (not hard) when i try to spread the fur and get a closer look, I do have some flea shampoo with oils in it to mosturize her skin but I do think she will be freaked out by the bath,I bought a flea comb today and used it on her she wasnt impressed but I got out alot of dirt so maybe that helped a bit. poor baby :(

Karin
November 22nd, 2004, 07:29 PM
A flea comb is a must in any household with pets.

Okay...now most people are afraid to bath a cat. After many years of doing just that...most are great about the bath..(Do Not Ask The Cat!) Most will take it, and argue LOUDLY, then run around shaking paws, *grumbling & talking* have a video camera handy for the first event, good entertainment for the holidays or gatherings. But they feel so much better afterwards!

Most cats do really enjoy a bath every now & then. Some do become cat tornado's and these are the ones you need to leave to their own resources.

I prefer to use the kitchen sink with a sprayer for an easy rinse. (At a vet clinic the tub is usually all we have)

Before Advantage, Frontline and all the other flea products on the market now we had to rely on flea baths to give relief.

Sick cats...once they are feeling better from what ever ailed them, they get a bath...anything that has been sick and recovering, wants to feel clean. (humans included)

Cats hating water is true to a point. Some like it, some do not. I have seen cats swim with their families in springs, rivers and also hot tubs.

Lassie's Mommy
November 22nd, 2004, 07:46 PM
You probably do not need to give your cat a bath. It will probably be fine just licking itself and being brushed.

coonlover
November 22nd, 2004, 08:20 PM
Some cats do like the water,my cat bear when he was alive he would scratch at the bathroom door when I was in the tub then sit on the side of the tub and let hes tail touch the water eventually he would put his feet in and once he slipped in the tub bubbles and all abd sat for a min before realizing he was all wet and jumped out, it was pretty cute.

badger
November 22nd, 2004, 08:55 PM
If you can afford it, buy some Omega 3-6 capsules from the drugstore and put a few drops in his food every time you feed him. Fabulous for skin and coat. Good quality food will help and worth the expense, since they eat less. Innova is excellent, also Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance.

Lucky Rescue
November 22nd, 2004, 08:59 PM
Your cat may have had an allergy to the fleas, and hopefully now that they're gone and she is getting good food, her skin should clear up!

coonlover
November 22nd, 2004, 09:12 PM
She is on good food since we brought her in Wellness super 5 and since i put my other cat pepper on it ive noticed her coat is sooooooo shiny so i know its from the food now we have had yoshi only a few weeks so it may take more time for her coat to look better she does look scruffy but I will take the advice on the omegas i was thinking of some kind of fish oil i can put in her wet food but im not sure if its ok and i dont like to experiment with animals. thats why i love this site, so much great advice. Thanks to all :)

krdahmer
November 23rd, 2004, 01:30 AM
Well I may be too late to comment on this one...but here goes anyhow. When I battled the big "F's", I also found that the kitties were left with a lot of flea dirt. I did not have to bathe them though, I just used a flea comb to take out most of the dead bodies and dirt and those wonderful self cleanin kitties did the rest... after only a couple days I saw no more dirt. It was a whole lot less stressful on all involved parties and now the little kittens looooove to get brushed! :thumbs up

JGibb
November 30th, 2004, 03:25 PM
I find that when Bathing a Cat. Shallow really warm water, Cat shampoo, and a cup. Start by emerging the cats paws in the water, hold the back of it's neck to reduce reactions, and use the cup to pour the water (avoiding their head). Shampoo with a very small amount of soap (pea size amount) and lather. Then rise with the cup pouring the water over their body. and wrap in a towel to remove excess water, your cat will dry him or herself off completly but taking off the excess water stops them from shivering. Or a very wet cloth and rub down your cat in this case I don't remove the excess water.