Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A question for Lucky... Re: Sick Cat Post

krdahmer
November 22nd, 2004, 09:41 AM
You mentioned not to feed them tuna cat food. Mine love the Fancy Feast Flaked Tuna, I was just wondering why you don't recommend that and also, can we feed the cats the canned tuna that we eat, with the water and all?
I've done this a couple times and Buddy loooooves it. I have never had male cats in my home until Buddy and now Fagan so I am really interested to learn more ways to help them avoid these serious problems. Especially because I have a feeling that Buddy might be prone to infections and illness (he has had 3 since moving in- parasite, abcess, and now the respiratory one).
Oh and what about toilet drinking? I have toilet drinkers...I try to keep the lids down as I always have a bowl of fresh water out for them but Buddy especially doesn't seem to drink as much if it doesn't come out of the toilet...it's like he enjoys the challenge of gettin in there. If I keep the t. bowls clean and don't use those drop in cleaners, is it okay to leave the seat up? LOL :)

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 10:32 AM
I know Lucky will probably have a better response but I just know tuna is bad for your cats - it contains too much mercury and they get addicted to the smell for oen thing. Here is a wen site that partly explains it:

http://www.gorbzilla.com/all_about_tuna.htm

Lucky Rescue
November 22nd, 2004, 10:37 AM
The problem with tuna cat food is that many cats will become addicted to it, to the point where they will eat nothing else. Tuna cat food is very high in ash, and can contribute to FUS and cause vitamin deficiences.

Give your cats a wide variety of flavours, to keep them from becoming fixated on any one thing. Tuna cat food is o.k. as one of the varieties you feed.

Giving human-grade tuna as a treat is fine.

I would'nt worry about the toilet water drinking. As long as none of those bleach tabs or blue stuff is used I see no problem.:)

louie's mum
November 22nd, 2004, 01:46 PM
Here is a wen site that partly explains it:

http://www.gorbzilla.com/all_about_tuna.htm

what an informative page that is CyberKitten ... that Steatitis sounds god awful.
why tempt fate? :eek:

chico2
November 22nd, 2004, 04:31 PM
Dahmer,don't feel bad about toilet-water....here's another toilet-kitty :D

glasslass
November 22nd, 2004, 05:01 PM
OMG! That is so funny! :D

krdahmer
November 22nd, 2004, 05:55 PM
LMAO Chico...that is so a familiar sight around here... luckily we have been able to keep the little fella from joining in (also why we have been more careful to put the lid down- so that he doesn't fall in).

And thanks for the info guys, I do only feed the tuna one as part of the 'Fancy Feast rotation'... I am trying to keep variety in their diet. And I did try to feed them the higher end wet foods, but they just snub their noses at them. (They're all big on the gravy factor, not unlike my Uncle Bob. :rolleyes: ) LOL