November 22nd, 2004, 03:00 AM
Kitty 16 went to vet due to difficulty passing stool and vomiting after trying. Vet found he had recently become diabetic and had bladder infection. He seemed to be doing better at end of antibiotics. Vomiting stopped but had diarrhea then some normal stool. Had to leave him for about 4-5 days due to an emergency. I left him in care of nice people with detailed instructions phone#'s and checked in once. Got back his tummy was bloated this was remembrance day so waited till first thing next day. Vet sent me home with antibiotics and said it was liquid and gas in his bowels from an infection. I waited two days for the antibiotics to work but his tummy got bigger. He was eating but seemed tired. Monday I called the vet and let him know his tummy was getting bigger. He said well I didn't feel anything abnormal but if he's not eating I guess under the circumstances you should take him to the emergency. He did eat after I talked to the vet and so I thought I would try a natural remedy and if that didn't stop the "constipation" I would get him to the emergency. I went across town to pick some remedies up and a woman there cautioned me not to go to the emergency but to go to this other hospital that was fully equipped, a friend of hers that could do everything etc. He lost another precious day. This vet said that he was having trouble taking blood but that he would and then let me know what was wrong when the results got back. I was feeling very emotional by this time and exhausted but let him take the blood. I went home and ended up getting him to the emergency a few hours later to find out in half an hour that he had a huge tumor which was blocking him. Throughout this ordeal I was trying to keep him hydrated which wasn't working. I had him put to sleep right away because I didn't want him to go through any more. In hind sight I would have taken him to the emergency as soon as I saw the bloating. This has been very difficult. I wanted to let him go in peace, instead he spent his last days being forced to take water and antibiotics for nothing. I have so much guilt for not acting quicker and not going on my gut feelings. I hope that if anyone is ever in doubt about how sick their pet is that they take the animal to the emergency right away. I spent about $700 to find out there was nothing that could be done. I wish I had known it was the very end so I could have spent a couple of peaceful days to say good bye to him.
November 22nd, 2004, 08:04 AM
I am so sorry for your loss! I just wonder though - did they inform you the cancer was incurable? Many pets - cats included - live many years with cancer and even undergo chemo. I realize your kitty was 16 and likely entered into your decision. I am sure you had many enjoyable and happy days with him though and you should feel good about the fact you did as much as you could for him in his last days!
November 22nd, 2004, 08:18 AM
Cyber-kitty,I had almost the exact thing happen to my 17yr old Peppi,he was a diabetic on insulin,when he got sicker nobody thought cancer,just concentrated on his diabetis.He had a small lump on his tummy,of no concern to the vet.
Well,this small lump was tennis-ball size in a week,or actually over night :sad:
The big C was then confirmed and there was no way I would even consider any more horrible treatments only to see him die in pain.
Peppi was euthanized,he was a wonderful cat,sweet and loving and did not deserve to spend his aging years in pain,euthanizia was the only way to give him peace.
We as owners have to question any diagnosis from the vet,sometimes it's just guess-work from them,if we feel something is not right it usually isn't,then we get a second opinion...we learn from experience and from knowing our animals the way no vet can.
November 22nd, 2004, 11:19 PM
Thank you both C.K. and Chico2 for your replies. I don't know if the cancer was curable or not, the third vet highly discouraged trying to save an older kitty because she said they don't do well in surgery and that he was probably quite uncomfortable. A few things I learned from this so his sweet, curious, lively little sole may help another. He was very active, even compared to younger cats, so I thought it was normal he was slowing down. He slowed down over a short time and not because of his age but because he was sick. Even a vocal cat that complains about the wind may not complain that he/she is sick, even if really sick. Changes in behavior such as schedule or increase in sleep could indicate something is very wrong. Research your veterinary options before your pet becomes ill or needs emergency attention. If there is an emergency, ask if the hospital takes animals over night?(full service doesn't always mean they do) If it doesn't, do you really have time to wait till they open the next day? Can you hydrate until medical attention? In an emotionally upsetting time it may get overwhelming to make decisions on the spot. If things don't feel right or you are being pressured, take the time to see if there are options to choose from before you make a difficult decision. Call someone for support, if you think it could help. Every vet is different, however I would be wary if a vet seemed rude or suggested that what you were saying wasn't true. Their job is to get the facts not make judgments. Cherish all the moments of life with your pet, encourage your pet to do all those happy things he/she likes to do!!!! Right up to the end, so everyday because you don't know when for sure the end will come:(
November 22nd, 2004, 11:45 PM
I'm sorry I dont have much knowledge on this matter... all I can offer at this time is my sincere condolonses to you...
November 24th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Thanks, It's been a week today:( I didn't really introduce myself to this forum, just jumped in. It's been a tough week without my little friend and I havn't been thinking very clearly. I like Kitty's and I like talking about them. Please feel free to contact me etc... I don't really remember about kittens. My old boy did chase his tail up until last year though :love:
November 24th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Awwww Maya,please come back to the Forum,this is a great place to air your feelings and talk about losses,we all understand your grief..... :sad:
I've always had more than one cat,but each loss is irreplaceable,the house is a very empty place without furry four-legged friends :sad:
November 24th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Well I just heard back from the second veterinarian, apparently there was a mix up with my kitty's blood work and I should call him right away as it just came in. :mad:
November 24th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Oh Maya! You have just added to my tears with the recent news of your "baby". I feel for you.... I know what it is like to lose a best friend of many years. I am a cat lover as well (though I love all animals - even the scary and not so pretty ones).
What is the recent news on the blood test? Was this the vet you went to before emergency?
I hope you are feeling a little less heartbroken. My sympathys are with you...
November 24th, 2004, 06:39 PM
I was so sorry to hear about your loss Maya. You are amazing, all of the running around that you did to try and help your baby. I know that I would do the same for my Cadeau, who has been with me for almost 15 years. I am sure that your heart is aching, but try and think about the many happy times that you and your Kitty spent together. Your Kitty was very lucky to have you in his life. Once again Maya, my condolences.
November 24th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Hi Maya. My heart goes out to you. I haven't had the unpleasentness of losing a dog or cat yet, but I can just imagine the pain you are going through. Please let us know what the mix up with the tests was. I hope it's not a serious mix up!! :o
November 24th, 2004, 07:22 PM
This vet saw my kitty a few hours before I realized it couldn't wait. I let his reception know it was an emergency, when I got there he told me he didn't keep animals over night. He was very frustrated that he couldn't get blood (needed to use jugular) and he said that the way I was explaining what was going on that I was saying it happened over night. Majority of swelling actually did occur over a two day period. I feel like I might get upset if I call and find out about the blood work. :confused:
November 24th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Well, only you know what is best for you, but personally I'd want to know what happened. I know it must be hard, but if you don't call, you'll be wondering what the mix up was until you know. It is your decision, so I know you'll do what you feel is best! :o
November 24th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I am doing better. I guess time does help one heal from loss and remembering all the love.
November 27th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Well I'm not to concerned with what the mix up was at this point! My heart rate rises every time I start to think about how I brought my sweet Burrless in because he was dying and all the vet could do was insult me and then take a week to get back with blood work. He was put to sleep only hours after seeing this vet because he was so sick. This vet took $260 for nothing. He left a msg on my machine saying he had received the blood work in the last couple of days or so and that it didn't look good, this was literally seven days after he took it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this.
I think I may just call when I feel like I have the courage. :mad:
November 27th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Maya,nothing can bring little Burrless back...but if you feel like venting,by all means call the vet to find out and tell him how you feel.
Either way,your poor kitty was sick and you did the right thing by letting him go,he's at peace now :love:
Maybe by now you have room in your heart for another kitty,maybe one desperate for a warm place to call home,not to replace your Burrless,but to help another needy kitty,there are so many and you obviously are a very caring,good person.
If you call the vet,please let us know what he said...
December 2nd, 2004, 11:41 AM
Hi everyone, so I did finally call the vet a few days ago and left a msg simply saying that I'd like my money back for Burrlesse's blood work since I didn't receive it as a service from them. They are going to return $200 for that. It doesn't make me feel better about what happened but since I live very low below the poverty line and had to borrow and beg for the money it does help
I would love to have another cat but It has been to difficult to find accomodation where I live and I've literally had to go without food in order to pay for vet bills. I do hope one day I will be able to take care of a new furrybaby though and still have a decent place to live and money for food and vet visits. This site is wonderful and I wish I had been on the net sooner so I could have seen all the good advice being exchanged. :thumbs up Thanks again!
December 2nd, 2004, 11:48 AM
very glad u got ur money back!
spread the word around bout his poor manners and slow service!! :mad: