Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

some "pet owners" really tick me off

sujean
November 21st, 2004, 11:18 PM
while i could put this thread in the general forum, i think it is safer to vent here.

some of these posts where pet owners have their fur babies for years that make decisions about euthanizing or giving away their babies really sickens me.

for example, how do you have a cat for 6 years and make a decision to euthanize after 2 days of sickness and a treatable solution????

do these people have no hearts whatsoever??? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lucky Rescue
November 21st, 2004, 11:52 PM
I know how you feel. I've seen a lot worse -

Owners who wanted their cat killed at the vet because he was spraying (intact male - duh!) and didn't want to pay to have him neutered since that would cost 10$ more than having him killed.

A gorgeous purebred 1yr old red Persian whose owners wanted him to die merely because he had crystals in his urine.

A purebred and wonderful 2yr old shih tzu brought in to be killed because of a mild skin problem...and on and on it goes. Each one makes me more angry than the last.

I simply cannot understand how people can do these things. This casual and brutal disregard for the lives and feelings of these creatures is mind boggling. They are not broken toasters to be tossed in the trash.

All the above pets got new, loving and wonderful homes - thanks to Debbie of Lucky Rescue.:)

Believe it or not, she had a very hard time talking the shih tzu owner into signing the dog over to her. This woman really REALLY wanted this sweet and adorable dog dead. :mad:

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 08:18 AM
Gawd Lucky re" the shiz su story! But you are right, sadly. Many people have come to treat pets as items of convenience, sigh!! There are so many heartbreaking stories and you my=ust see so many of them in rescue work!!

sujean
November 22nd, 2004, 09:24 AM
i have had some of of our 5 fur babies for less than 2 years and i know that i love them as if they were my kids. i know that i would give my left arm for any of them. in fact, when i thought one of my cats was sick, i laid in bed with him the night before his vet appt and cried while petting him. nothing ended up wrong with him :)

i skipped on visiting my family for thanksgiving this year b/c dad didin't want the dog at the house and there was no one else i could ask to watch him and i refuse to put him in a kennel (he has a lot of ongoing health problems and i don't trust anyone to keep up with his helath). so instead of tyson being miserable, we skipped thanksgiving. tyson is a part of my family and if my parents don't understand that, they will have to run the risk of spending the rest of their holidays alone.

i asked my dad if when i have kids, if he expected for us to put our kids at the kennel too. still no response!! :mad:

but then again, in a society when even kids are getting thrown out b/c of the inconvenience, i guess i can't expect these people to treat their pets any differently... :sad:

mastifflover
November 22nd, 2004, 09:58 AM
Well I have to agree with you on this I find it disgusting. I understand that sometimes it is absolutely to keep a pet. But most of these people that dump their pets have the lamest reasons I have ever heard. One of the ones that makes me the maddest is well we are having a baby, then the put in the ad great with kids, am I missing something. I guess they will only have one child because they obviously can't take care of more than one thing at once. Or people that move and cant take their pet. Then they try and sound like they are so upset they have to give up a great pet, did they not consider them when moving to a new place. Oh and dont the just mean and cruel people that dump their pets on a country road. I would love to do this to these people.

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 10:35 AM
There is a great book called Feline Odessy about a family who "gets rid" of their cat when they have a baby. It entails the advenrures of the cat from the cat's perspective - the good and the bad!! You can download it at Amazon.com I high;y recomend the book!

badger
November 22nd, 2004, 11:03 AM
Sometimes I think that people who dump or euthenize their animals for no good reason are a completely different species. My neighbour had four finches in a cage. Two of them started to lose their feathers, some kind of skin condition. I think he said the treatment was $50. One cold night in October, standing on the back porch, he released them. Unfortunately I was not there to stop him. When he told me, I was utterly speechless. I think I just said quietly that I would have given him the money. At the time, he had some bad health problems so maybe his mind was out of wack but I must say it changed forever the way I felt about him.

lilith_rizel
November 22nd, 2004, 12:58 PM
The only time my family has ever euthanized a pet, is when it was suffering too much, and there was nothing that the vet could do for them. Or the one case were our one dog bit 2 children, and nothing was working. The dog was too territorial, but only when you would look her in the face. It has NEVER been my decision to put an animal down. It was my parents choice. I think that if I ever have to make a choice weather to spend money on saving Cano or putting him down, I would spend the money if I had it, and if I didn't, I would give him up, or see if there was anyway I could negotiate a payment plan, even if the possibility of him surviving was very, very slim. It would be like giving up on a human, when they are in need of surgery. I think that it is so sad.

GsdDiamond
November 22nd, 2004, 01:17 PM
I had a cat, a long while ago, that was at an ex's house as I couldn't keep him where I was. I said I would pay for medical treatment when he needed it. Well, one day I get a phone call that he's not eating or drinking, so I rush over to see what's going on. I get there and he looks like death warmed over. I grab him, yell at her (so did my brother who gave me a ride) and rush out the door to the Emergency hospital. $300 later (just to have him looked at) the Vet says he swallowed a needle and it's ripped his throat at the back. He can remove the needle and put him on antibiotics to help prevent infection while he healed.

Needless to say that cat was removed from the evil ex's place (I made her pay half the Vet bill....she wasn't amused...OH WELL!). I took him with me, ever though I could have been evicted and found him a loving home with an old man who just lost his wife. The cat moved to Toronto with him when he went back home. Now, if I had been like some of these people, I might have considered the option of having him PTS, but he was only 2 and he needed a chance. The $300+ it cost to save his life was well worth it in my eyes.

lilith_rizel
November 22nd, 2004, 01:19 PM
Good for you GSD, I am glad you cared enough to do so.

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 01:41 PM
That cat was fortunate you were there for him GSD!! I too cannot understand someone who would not spend the money to save an animal when it is an amount that could be worked out with the vet.

melanie
November 22nd, 2004, 02:44 PM
i find some cat owners/mongrels amazing, it is like the cat is an inconvienience to them yet they inconvenience the cat by giving it a crap life and getting it in the first place. i used to have a mate, he was a disabled single dad and had no money. he decided that the best thing for his daughter was a cat.

so they get the cat which they cannot afford to care for (from another child at the school who had kittens), they dont get it desexed as it cost money. so thats ok they dont keep the cat inside when in heat and the cat gets preggers. well he cant have kittens and does not let the girl know the cat is preggers, the kittens are born the he drowns them one by one as they come out. THEN has the hide to tell me it made him cry, well bugger me dead and tough luck was all i said. this happened two more times when i was their neighbor, the cat was feral by the time i left. (i have not seen him since and dont intend to)

mind you he was going to dump it in the bush when he moved, which is the most dangerous thing, it is like making the native animals pay for human stupidity, so i ended up taking it to the pound where i copped ridiculous abuse from the rangers for dumping problems on them (they are the pound), hey it was not mine in the first place.

and im sure you have the problem of kittens being dumped in rivers in bags with rocks in them over there too, it just stinks. not to mention the several ppl i know that cannot afford to desex so do it themselves or get a farmer to do it with the poor cats head in a gumboot, it horrifies me to hear it done, the poor cats.

its really strange the way ppl treat animals, i really dont understand the need or acceptance of cruelty. i often think the p[pl who od that sort of stuff wont hesitate to hurt a child or other person as well, it must be some sad little drive within them that makes them so self centred and pathetic.

sujean
November 22nd, 2004, 05:09 PM
i find some cat owners/mongrels amazing, it is like the cat is an inconvienience to them yet they inconvenience the cat by giving it a crap life and getting it in the first place. i used to have a mate, he was a disabled single dad and had no money. he decided that the best thing for his daughter was a cat.

oh NOW you have be going!! :p

why do parents think that the best thing for their kid is a pet if they know full well they can't afford it????? and when they know that they will have to get rid of the dang thing b/c they can't afford it, how is it that they explain THAT to the child???

why must parents use living creatures as a means to entertain their children? buy them a bike instead! or a doll that talks! or an electronic pet (you know what i'm talking about!)

the pet has NO choice in the matter. they can't refuse to go home with these idiots!

this thread reminds me of a previous thread of a person who can barely afford christmas gifts much less afford a pet, but the kids WANT one. and puppies are soooo much less work than a large dog (that can't fit in the current home...) grrrrr. i tried to keep this last bit to myself but that thread really ticked me off! ever hear of telling your kids NO?????

how can we help people that can't help themselves? i just feel sick to my stomach when i think of all these homeless/abused/hungry animals :mad:

on a happier note, oscar feels just as strongly about this and has helped quite a bit in writing this thread :D

squarejane
November 22nd, 2004, 10:39 PM
oooh this burns me too. my parents have a hobby farm in ontario... meaning that they had egg laying hens (who they kept and fed until they passed away--years after they had stopped laying) living free-run, 2 dogs with lots of room to frolic, 3 house cats (allowed outside but fixed and vet visits) and 3 horses, (well-fed, groomed and loved)

now for some reason, owning a farm bldg, people seem to think that is the same as putting up a sign that reads "dump kittens here". it never failed. every spring someone would dump off a box with a cat and kittens in the middle of the night or super-young kittens without their mums on our doorstep.

my mum and i would then dilligently take them to the humane society and WE would get chewed out for bringing them in. after the first two batches, we had to PAY THEM to take kittens that WEREN'T OURS. we understood that the humane society isn't to blame but why don't people think? where is the responsability? why is their lack of dilligence in the form of a pregnant cat our problem? over the years my mum thinks that she has shelled out about $1000.00 just for the humane society to take these people's "problems" on.

and don't get me started on the losers who kill animals out of convenience.

:mad: :sad: :sick: :mad: