Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

i think my dog is sick, please help

emma's mom
November 21st, 2004, 08:20 PM
Hi. I am posting because my dog is acting very peculiar. I started noticing something a few days ago, but she seems to be getting worse. She seems to be bit bloated (although I'm not sure), she is panting and just looks generally sick and uncomfortable. She also hasn't been going to the bathroom like usual, barely going at all. The past two days, she hasn't been eating so well either - generally not interested. WHen she is "huffing", it almost seems as though she might be congested. Her movement is slower that usual too. I have a vet appointment for Tuesday, but I am looking to find some answers sooner than that. Is there anything that we can do? Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks.

Bugsy
November 21st, 2004, 08:33 PM
How old is your dog? Could she be pregnant?

Lucky Rescue
November 21st, 2004, 08:35 PM
If your dog seems bloated and uncomfortable and is not eliminating, RUSH her to the vet right now, this minute.

If she has bloat - a twisting of the stomach - she will die without emergency surgery.

Of course I dont' know if this is what the problem is, but better safe than sorry.

emma's mom
November 21st, 2004, 08:37 PM
Emma is a 5 year old English bull dog. She was spayed when she was a pup, so there is no way she could be pregnant. It seems to me like she has a cold or something, but she is usually such a happy dog - and these symptoms are a scary. She's just not herself. Any other thoughts?

emma's mom
November 21st, 2004, 08:38 PM
I fed her some prunes earlier, and she did go to the bathroom. It was just a little bit and very runny though.

Bugsy
November 21st, 2004, 08:38 PM
Any way of getting her to a vet sooner. Lucky is right it needs to be ASAP.

raingirl
November 21st, 2004, 08:48 PM
Don't wait until Tuesday. YOu need to go to a 24 hour emergency vet right now. If you don't know of one in your area, PM me with your city and I can find you one.

Karin
November 21st, 2004, 10:22 PM
This is serious. Please take her to the nearest vet now!

CyberKitten
November 21st, 2004, 10:30 PM
I agree with the other recomemndations - get your beloved pet to a vet ER ASAP!!

doggy lover
November 23rd, 2004, 08:51 PM
Hows Emma now?..................And Lucky's right any dog that seems bloated must be rushed to a vet right away. My last dog got bloat on our way home from the cottage and we took him to an emergency clinic on the way. They said that he was very lucky that I relized what was going on. They had to pass a stomach tube and pass the gas out, he later went to his vet and had to have his stomach stiched to his abdoman wall to stop it from twisting, once a dog has bloat he can get it again. A dog with bloat can be dead in a few hours, and not all clinics can do the surgery, dogs here in Toronto sometimes have to go to Guelph so time is important.