Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog from Caribbean to Canada - help

anniebananie
November 21st, 2004, 10:55 AM
I must be totally out of my mind, but a friend down in the Caribbean cannot keep her small dog anymore. He is a ****zu.chihuhua (sp? sorry) and weighs about 16 lbs. He was born in the islands, and she rescued him as a tiny puppy after someone tried to set fire to him. ( :mad: ) I said I would take him if she would get him to Toronto - which she is planning on doing. Anyway I need advice on how to introduce him a) to my two JR females who are 11 and 9 and and 3 cats & b) the cold weather? Any bright ideas :confused: I also have to come up with a new name as I do not like *puppy* or Chewy. I like the name Useless (from Monach of the Glen on BBC Canada) Grandsons want Bruce (Finding Nemo) - has anyone ever changed a dogs name if the dog is a year old?????

Lucky Rescue
November 21st, 2004, 11:17 AM
How nice of you to take this dog!:)

The fact that he is male is good. I would introduce him to your girls in neutral territory. Have your bring him to a park and introduce them all there. Let them all sniff and play. Hopefully it will go well, then you can all go back to your place.

I would keep the new dog confined for awhile and not give him the freedom of the house, as seeing him with such priviliges right away may annoy your dogs. This will help introduce him slowly to your cats too.

He will need a coat for sure and you can change a dog's name at any stage in it's life. Just start using the new name, and if he looks at you when you do, give him a treat.

Bugsy
November 21st, 2004, 11:22 AM
How great :D I hope it all works out for you.... imagine his face when he sees snow for the first time :eek:

anniebananie
November 21st, 2004, 12:19 PM
I will have to introduce him to the JR's in the garden, and everyone on a leash - the park we have just by us is a kiddie playground, so that might not be a good idea. :rolleyes: The first time he sees snow is going to be a hoot and a half - the two JR's get into making tunnels when it gets deep :crazy: We are in the snow belt of Ontario. He is neutered, so that is good - both my females are as well. Poor little guy is going to be really confused after two plane rides (one to the States with his now Mum and then onto Toronto the next day - plus a 3 1/2 hour car ride when he arrives. I have met him once for a few days when I was down staying with his rescue owners, when he was about 10 weeks old - and he was a real poppet - very affectionate and licky. I (think) am looking forward to this - I have never owned three dogs b4 - so this will prove interesting

Gazoo
November 21st, 2004, 09:13 PM
Doesn't a dog from that far away have to go through a long lonely quarantine?!?!?!

If so, maybe homing him at home is a better idea?

CyberKitten
November 21st, 2004, 09:24 PM
I think it is wonderful you will take the dog for her! The sign of a true friend. Air Canada says the only two Caribbean countries it cannot ship from are Trinidad and Tobago (most likely some medical issue like BSE).

You could call the airlines and query them about the process. There was a pet shipping company posted here not long ago - in Montreal - they specialize in door to soor delivery of your pet. (Sounds like a great way to go, imho).

I know from personal experience that one can bring a dog from the UK or Ireland without worrying about quaratine in Canada. (You do require a plethora of paper work and vet signed docs mind you but that is much less a hassle than quarentine) However, if you want to bring your pet to those countries, the pet has to be quarantined. I believe the amount of time the pet must be quarantined has been changed but I am uncertain of the exact time period.

A dog that young will respond well I think to a name change if you are patient in teaching the new name.

I can add little to the other helpful and good advice.

Good luck!!

Lucky Rescue
November 21st, 2004, 09:25 PM
There's no quarantine in Canada on pet dogs or cats.

All that is necessary is proof of rabies vaccination, and the certificate must clearly identify the animal (breed, colour, size, weight etc)

CyberKitten
November 21st, 2004, 09:35 PM
LR. were you only req to have a rabies cert?

When my cousin rescued a border collie in County Mayo (Ire), - and I was in Dublin teaching that summer - I helped him run around the county to get all the papers he needed for the puppy! They told us to have a vet signed med document indicating he was healthy (possibly this was an airline req tho and not immigration), the rabies and other vaccinations and all other relevant docs. Mind you, it was a dog he found at a home he owns there and rather than bring him to the pound, (after it became clear he was no-one's pet), he opted to bring him to Canada.

anniebananie
November 22nd, 2004, 05:36 AM
He will be coming here from St Kitts - so not a problem. He will have all his vacination papers, including Rabies. I checked with our vet on this. The only problem I can see is him adjusting to the cold weather, so will take a coat for him when I have to pick him up. He will actually be flying to States first, then onto Canada.

louie's mum
November 22nd, 2004, 07:22 AM
i imagine he's gonna need a lot of holding and cuddling, specially on the trip in the car (after the plane). i somehow picture this little one shivering and shaking (not just from the cold) till he adjusts to all the changes.
will he be in the plane's cabin with ur friend?

anniebananie
November 22nd, 2004, 07:44 AM
I don't think that a pet can travel in the cabin with my friend - he will be crated - and then he will be flying on to TO on his own :sad: I will be there to meet him, but he will be in his kennel in the car, as I shall be on my own. We will be doing lots of stops along the way so he can pee etc, and I shall take a travel pack for water etc with me - plus a coat for the cold.

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 07:51 AM
If the pet carrier is the proper size, your friend can bring him on board as a carry on.