Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sick cat

christa
November 21st, 2004, 08:57 AM
My 6 yr old cat for the last 2 days has been vomiting and crying and laying in water. He is not eating but will drink water. He lays in the bathtub with water and has been putting his paws in his water dish. He normally would not let anyone pet him for a long period of time but for the last 2 days has been very eager to have someone hold him. I checked his liter box and found nothing unusual. I have not changed his food. Please help

Lucky Rescue
November 21st, 2004, 09:45 AM
Your cat's behavior means he is VERY sick and needs a vet NOW.

CyberKitten
November 21st, 2004, 01:36 PM
Oh my gosh!! Get him to a vet ASAP! (The emergency weekend vet!)

christa
November 21st, 2004, 04:53 PM
I took my cat Neo, into the vet this afternoon. Unfortunatly he had a bladder blockage which the vet told us was common in male cats. They explained that the surgery may or may not fix his problem, so they gave us a few hours to decide what we wanted to do. Because we did not want to put him through any more pain we decided to have him put to sleep. He will be missed by our family and friends. Thanks for your help.

Lucky Rescue
November 21st, 2004, 06:40 PM
Yeah I guess the poor thing suffered enough, vomiting, crying and in pain for two days with no relief.

louie's mum
November 21st, 2004, 06:47 PM
i'm so sorry for that little guy. makes me realize i'd better read up on this kind of thing for louie. i know i had a beautiful black cat many many years ago that had to be put down i think for something like kidney stones or bladder problems. i understand it's more of a problem for males.
are there things i can be doing to help him now while he's a baby? is low ash or high ash dry food better for him? is 1/2 small can of wet food a day adequate for him?
boy i just realized how much i DON'T know.
bless ur kitty.
:love:

Karin
November 21st, 2004, 06:54 PM
I read this early but did not have time to comment.

Which is a good thing.

I could not be as tactful as LR was with her response.

heeler's rock!
November 21st, 2004, 09:06 PM
I'm confused. So, your cat that you've had for 6 years was crying and vomitting for 2 days, you take him to the vet and the only option is surgery, which could save him, and you decide to euthanize him?? Why not do the surgery to try and help him, and then try medication, and then try therapy, and then try anything else that could help him, and then if all that fails and he's in constant pain with no hope of getting better, put him out of his misery?? You barely gave him a fighting chance! Sorry LR and Karin. I couldn't hold in my contempt!!! :mad:

CyberKitten
November 21st, 2004, 09:12 PM
I share your thoughts heeler - it is very frustrating to see animals suffer needlessly like that!! Sighhhhhhhhh!!

I am sorry for her loss but feel more sorry for the poor cat!!

Lucky Rescue
November 21st, 2004, 09:16 PM
louie's mom - the best thing for neutered males is to feed them canned food. For neutered toms, the combination of a narrowed urethral opening, not drinking enough water (common in cats) and eating dry food only can cause problems. Urine becomes very concentrated, and crystals or stones can form.

Stay away from tuna cat food. You can still feed dry, but try and make canned the main diet.

IF crystals form, sometimes they can be eliminated by through diet only. For stones, surgery is usually necessary and there is no reason to euthanize a cat without even trying surgery and change of diet, as there may never be another problem although of course there is no guarantee.

For anyone with a neutered male - if he is NOT PEEING, this is an emergency and he should rushed to the vet.

heeler's rock!
November 21st, 2004, 09:18 PM
I share your thoughts heeler - it is very frustrating to see animals suffer needlessly like that!! Sighhhhhhhhh!!

It is frustrating. I also do want to say that I am sorry for her loss, but at the same time, it seems like a preventable loss to me. :( Poor kittie.....

louie's mum
November 21st, 2004, 09:30 PM
louie's mom - the best thing for neutered males is to feed them canned food. For neutered toms, the combination of a narrowed urethral opening, not drinking enough water (common in cats) and eating dry food only can cause problems. Urine becomes very concentrated, and crystals or stones can form.

Stay away from tuna cat food. You can still feed dry, but try and make canned the main diet.

IF crystals form, sometimes they can be eliminated by through diet only. For stones, surgery is usually necessary and there is no reason to euthanize a cat without even trying surgery and change of diet, as there may never be another problem although of course there is no guarantee.

For anyone with a neutered male - if he is NOT PEEING, this is an emergency and he should rushed to the vet.

thank u so much lucky. i will begin giving him more canned food and save the dry for when he's 'snackish'. he likes it but then again the poor little guy was starving when he was found.
i was very young when Keecha had to be put down and i don't think i know the entire truth about his 'condition' at the time. (it may not have been as serious as they said I'm sad to say :mad: )
i measure the amount of water louie drinks just so i'd have an idea. about 1/8th of a cup a day. (i was curious after reading about some of the problems) the clumping litter certainly shows no urination problem but he hasn't been neutered yet. date to be announced.
i have the emergency animal hospital in my address book in the computer and the fridge just in case. perhaps i'm a little paranoid but i'd move heaven and earth to protect louie (totally selfish reasons) and i keep my eye on him for any variance of what i've come to know as his 'normal' behaviour (if that's possible with a cat)
thank u so much for ur advice.
if only the other mum would have realized what was possible. :sad:

CyberKitten
November 21st, 2004, 09:38 PM
I don;t think your actions are selfish louie's mom, you are being a good mom!!!

louie's mum
November 21st, 2004, 09:51 PM
I don;t think your actions are selfish louie's mom, you are being a good mom!!!

my goodness. i guess thinking about my old cat and then this little cat that got put down so quickly suddenly opened the floodgates. i just read ur lovely little message and the tears started flowing.
how can anyone ever hurt one of these precious little furbabies or watch as they struggle in pain and misery without doing something/anything/everything.
i just don't get it.

Sneaky2006
November 22nd, 2004, 12:26 AM
I can't even believe what I read.
How sad. :(

Louie's mum, if you are worried about infections and crystals and such you may want to try this product. One of my males got UTIs and crystals all the time. I came here and took Lucky's advice about the food and I also started him on this.
http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=7519&sku=3165810114&tab=2&dept_id=635&c1=623&c2=635&c3=&ct1=Health+Care&ct2=All+Vitamins+%26+Supplements&ct3=
I give them wet food everyday with these natural supplements crushed and sprinkled on it and leave the dry out all day to munch on.
It's not very expensive and I usually crush a whole bottle at once, it's easier that way. Good luck with that.

petlover5150
November 22nd, 2004, 07:32 AM
Gosh I can't believe how little I know! I have had cats my whole life and have never come across this problem. My two are both males and use the same litter tray although the little one prefers to go outside. How are you supposed to know they're going often enough when they rarely use the tray anyway? Do I just keep my eyes open and make sure they seem well? :confused:

Also my vet told me they didn't need wet food as the dry stuff gave them all the nourishment they need? :confused:

That is so sad for that little kitty but maybe the owner was just taking the vet's advice in having it put down? I think with animals sometimes people are less inclined to get a second opinion when they are told there is little hope for their pet. :(

chico2
November 22nd, 2004, 07:55 AM
Many,many years ago,more than 25,I had a beautiful male Maine Coon who was euthanized for kidney-stones,at that time,the vet did not even consider surgery :sad: But the horror of what he(Tigger)went through is still very vivid in my mind.
Once thing I never forgot,was the vet telling me,NEVER feed dry food to a male neutered cat,but then the only dry food available was Purina Cat Chow and my cats were fed wet food,at the time it was Puss'n Boots.nobody probably remembers that :D
Later when I got my other cats,I asked the vet for something to prevent this from happening again,the vet gave me a tube of something brown and yucky to add to their food(wet)I would love to get the same stuff again,but I don't think it's available.
I am going to look in to what Sneaky suggested,thank's!

chico2
November 22nd, 2004, 08:04 AM
Lucky,the problem I have with fishy food is that it's the only canned food they really finish and like and it's not good for them :sad:
Rocky and Chico will turn their noses at most other kinds in a way only finicky cats can :evil: Vinnie who eats anything will be more than happy to oblige and finish all three dishes :mad:
Reading about the supplement,I right away see a problem...2 pills/day per cat????I would prefer something in gel or liquid form,I'll ask my vet on Friday when Vinnie-pooh goes for his check-up..

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 08:22 AM
Hey, I recall Puss n Boots - canned cat food that did not always smell the best. (We fed that to our cats when I was a kid until we found better smelling stuff. )The cats liked it though. (But that smell- ewwww!)

Sneaky2006
November 22nd, 2004, 08:46 AM
Chico, we don't even measure it... we crush the whole bottle and just sprinkle it on... they probably don't get 2 each, I don't believe that's necessary.

Lucky Rescue
November 22nd, 2004, 09:03 AM
Puss 'n Boots!! OMG, that's what my mother fed our cats when I was a kid. Nearly pure cereal and I think a big can cost about 0.12 cents :eek:

the problem I have with fishy food is that it's the only canned food they really finish

Chico, I didn't say fishy food - I said tuna. :D My ex-feral male will only eat fishy food - salmon, whitefish, seafood etc. He's damn fussy for a former begger!

Also my vet told me they didn't need wet food as the dry stuff gave them all the nourishment they need?

No one is saying it doesn't give them adequate nourishment. I'm saying that cats (unlike dogs) often dont' drink enough and that's when problems come up.