Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My foster had bloat

Toonces
November 21st, 2004, 07:18 AM
Hi everyone, I would like to hear from anyone who has ever gone through this with their dog. I had to rush my foster gsd in for emergency surgery on friday for bloat, I was lucky to get him in 15 mins after he started vomiting and acting funny, his tummy was twisted and they had to fix that and they did tack it down so this can never happen again.

What can I expect when he comes home? We get him back on monday and we have 2 other dogs and 2 cats we will have to keep him seperated from so things will be calm for him, he is very hyper and has come from a very bad situation. He is 2 yrs old and was kept in a crate for most of his life untill we got him 3 weeks ago. I love this little guy so much and he is such a fighter and deserves the best life possible and I want to make sure his recovery is smooth so any suggerstios would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a pic of this sweetie for you to see

chico2
November 21st, 2004, 07:51 AM
I have no suggestions,but what a beautiful dog he is,I hope he has a speedy recovery from his ordeal.I am sure he will get lots of love from his guardian angel,his fostermom....he looks so easy to love :love:

Bugsy
November 21st, 2004, 08:18 AM
Toonces

You want to know what else you can do? You've saved his life twice...you are truly an :angel:

I've never had to deal with bloat (knock on wood), but I have dealt with major surgeries. I can only say follow the vet's post-op orders, give him a quiet spot for the first 2 days... until he feels a little better. Lots of head
pats and kisses & when it's less painful a belly rub. :D

He's just gorgeous... :love:

Lucky Rescue
November 21st, 2004, 10:14 AM
I agree that you are truly a doggy angel!! I'm so glad this poor baby was rescued from the cruel and ignorant idiots who had him!

He should make a rapid recovery - just no running, jumping etc for awhile.

For anyone else reading this, large, deepchested dogs who are susceptible to bloat should be fed at least two meals a day of smaller portions - never just one large meal a day.

No vigorous exercise right after eating either.

I hope this beautiful boy feels 100% soon!

Toonces
November 21st, 2004, 12:03 PM
Thank you all so much for your support and advice.

I am going to see if the vet can keep him during the day while I am at work and at nite he will be sleeping in my room with me. he is not house broken yet so we are afraid to leave him in his crate incase he has a accident and then gets infected from laying in it. He is sooooo loveable and sweet considering his past life, I just can't imagine why someone would get a dog and keep it in a crate, he dosn't quite know what to do with himself with all this freedom in the house and he hardly ever lays down or sleeps, we might have to get some medication to keep him quiet for a few days but come hell or highwater I will do my best to make sure he has a full recovery and then he can go to the forever home he deserves so much.

Thanks again Brenda & Reilly the wonder dog!

Lucky Rescue
November 21st, 2004, 12:15 PM
he dosn't quite know what to do with himself with all this freedom in the house and he hardly ever lays down or sleeps, we might have to get some medication to keep him quiet for a few days

May I give you some advice about this? We all (myself included) want to take deprived, neglected or abused animals and shower them with everything they never had, and are puzzled when that doesn't seem to make them happy or makes them UNhappy.

This dog is confused and overwhelmed by his sudden freedom and all that space. He is too anxious and nervous to lie down and sleep. Even good changes cause stress!

I strongly suggest you confine this dog - either in a small room with a gate, or in a large crate and start SLOWLY giving him freedom - a little bit at a time. If you don't do this, there is a chance of him developing compulsive or unwanted behaviors in his anxiety.

Medication won't be needed if he has time to slowly acclimate himself to your home and yard.

Even human prisoners get overwhelmed and scared when released into the outside world, and they supposedly have reason and intelligence to understand why they feel that way. ;)

Toonces
November 21st, 2004, 04:35 PM
Hi LR - Reilly is a very happy boy, he's not stressed, just full of beans!
Having lived as long in the crate with no exercise as he did, he's
actually pretty typical of a 2 year old German lines male who's had no
exercise! A very busy, busy high drive boy!! He wears out my two female
dogs and my kitty Emma. He has a fabulous temperament, loves strangers,
loves male and female dogs and loves cats.

He has had gradual freedoms and space, he is crated when we go to work and
he is confined to the bedroom with us at bed time. On our property he is
always leashed.

The worry with the crate is after the emergency surgery his entire tummy
will be stitched up and in a small space like that he could lay in his own
waste as he is not housetrained. If he was confined in a room he wouldn't
do that, but we don't trust him to not get excited and race around and
also tear his stitches out. He definitely needs to be watched and sedated
while he recovers. While with his original family he lived in filth in
his crate and after they had him neutered he ended up getting a raging
infection and had to have his whole scrotum removed.

He's a very special boy, we all love him. He's come a very long way in
the couple weeks I have had him, keeping him quiet,safe and infection free
while he recovers is the big challenge we face now. The extra money to
have him babysat at the vet and sedated is more than worth it, we'd never
risk his safety. I'm not sure how our rescue will get it paid but she'll
find a way.

Any other tips to stay infection free and keep him quiet whiel he recovers
would be great - thanks so much everyone!

doggy lover
November 23rd, 2004, 08:51 PM
My last dog Travis got bloat when he was about 4 years old. Dogs that get bloat once can get it again. With his stomach ancered to his abdomanal wall it will not twist though. Our dog was lucky he didn't twist, but we did get the surgery done a couple days later due to the high risk of it happening again. Its funny that you say the dog is anxious because our dog could get like that and it could have been part of the reason that it happened. Travis lived another 4 years with no problems or reoccurances. Your fast actions saved the dogs life, our vet said they can die within hours of onset of bloat. Our dog passed away in January from bone cancer he was a German Shepherd crossed with a Bernese Mountain Dog. Here is a pic of him, he was a beautiful dog.

badger
November 23rd, 2004, 09:05 PM
What a sweet face, so kissable. You must really miss him.

doggy lover
November 23rd, 2004, 09:11 PM
:sad: Every day!

Toonces
November 24th, 2004, 02:50 AM
He was beautiful doggy lover, so sorry for your loss :(

Reilly is doing great and our other dogs are being very patient with him. For now he is getting 4 small meals a day and meds for infection. he goes in 2 weeks to have his stiches removed and a checkup but for now no complications

doggy lover
November 24th, 2004, 06:23 AM
We also used a raised bowl for Travis to eat, I heard it is suppose to help. I'm glad he is doing well.

mastifflover
November 24th, 2004, 09:11 AM
What a very special dog and what a good foster mom you are to him. My Neo Boo had bloat and luckily survived but has since passed on. But I always feed from raised bowls I really believe it cuts down the risk of bloat. I found if I let Buddy eat from dishes on the floor he burps a lot so it is obvious that he is getting a lot of air in his stomach. So I never feed him from floor dishes. There is a lot of controversy over raised or not raised dishes but every giant breed owner that I have met or talked to all use raised dishes. I am sure your vet has probably told you these things but just in case never let him eat or drink large amounts 30-45 min. before active play and 30-45 after you return a small amount of room temperature water when you get home is okay. After playing or coming back from a walk always give room temp. water never cold. Since he has already had bloat you will want to give him smaller and more frequent feedings just so he does not eat to much at once.

Toonces
November 24th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Thankyou everyone for your advise.

I did not know that about the raised bowls but I will be doing it for sure since he does have a few good burps after he eats, we also give him small amounts of water because if we don't he will drink untill the bowl is empty no matter how big it is. we are feeding him food from the vet, canned and dry 4 times a day and he is doing well so far. His stiches look good and he has lots of support from friends that stop in and let him out for a pee while we are at work (he is not housetrained) but he is coming along good.

I am so glad that the rescue saved him before this happened to him when he was stuck in a crate 24 hrs a day . Weird thing, the day he bloated for some strange reason I left work 2 hrs early, I just had this strong urge to go home and an hr after I arrived it happened and I had him to the vet in 15 min.

sedwick
November 28th, 2004, 09:49 AM
My Great Dane got bloat when he was 5 years old. I rushed him to the nearest vet where they did exrays and then told me to go to another vet because he was to big for them to do the surgery. I took him to another vet and when we go there he throw up everywhere and acted fine. They took exrays again and his stomach had twisted back by itself. I took him home.
When he was 6 years old it happened again and I took him to the vet where they performed the surgery. They sutured his stomach to his ribs and I was told that bloat could still happen again, this was just to hopefully prevent it.
He will be 10 years old on Jan. 5th and has not experienced it again.
His recovery did not take long, however I did not let him have any activity for quite awhile. And limited his diet to very mild food.... no gassy foods.
As far as the reasons for the bloat.... he was laying down both times chewing on a bone, no activity before the bloat and he had not eaten.
This leads me to believe it can happen anytime, anywhere for any reason.
I am glad your dog is okay.
I would recommend not ruling out that he can ever get bloat again, because he can. However the risks are lower because his stomach was stiched to his ribs, but his risks are also higher, because he's already had it.
Looks like you've already done a good job with this dog.
I hope my story was helpful.
I wish you the best.

Toonces
November 28th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Thankyou so much sedwick, it's nice to hear some positive things about this, I worry about him all the time and I have become an over protective mommy.

His diet now is low fat and fiber and he really likes it and we don't let him run or play with our other dogs but he has jumped up on the bed and my heart was in my throat, my fault for leaving the door open. he is a very special boy as all our pets are and I will be very picky about who adopts him because I want him to have the best quality of life possible.

Again I can't thank the ppl on this board enough for your kind words and support :)