Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I now have fish!

Jackie467
November 20th, 2004, 07:21 PM
I just got two tanks. they are small tanks (easier to clean two small ones than a large one in my oppinion). i haven't had fish for years. I'v always loved them, I can stare at a fish tank for hours (I know that's wierd) and the sound of the airater is very soothing to me as well as the soft light. I used to have a salt water tank but that is just so much work!! Now I just have fresh water. I have a calico tailed goldfish, another black goldfish that i can't remember the name of, two guppies, and another fish I don't know the name of. at first i just had one tank and the guy at the pet shop assured me that the goldfish, two guppies, and other fish weren't too much, but after a couple of days it just looked too crowded so i got the second tank for the goldfish, then the goldfish looked so lonley that i went and got him a friend tonight. now the fish look like they have much more room. I named them all shakespearian names. the calico tailed goldfish is romeo, the black goldfish is marqucio, the guppies are mcbeth and othello, and the other fish that i have no idea what it is is named hamlet. i hate to favor one fish over another but i think marqucio is my fav. well i just thought i would let you guys know that i now have more family members. any suggestions on how to keep my fish happy let me know. :D

BMDLuver
November 20th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Congrats on the new additions! I loved our fish. They are extremely relaxing to watch. Enjoy!

Lucky Rescue
November 20th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Congrats! I've been keeping all kinds of fish for over 20 years, and one thing I've learned is not to listen to the "guy at the petstore".

they are small tanks (easier to clean two small ones than a large one in my oppinion)

This is not true. A large tank is much easier to keep, because the more water, the more stable conditions in the tank are, in regards to temperature and water conditions. Anyone considering a fish tank should get the largest one they can possibly afford.

Goldfish will eat guppies.(big fish eat small fish) Guppies are tropical fish and need heated tanks. Goldfish are cold-water fish.

What size tanks did you get? Anything under 20 gallons is not suitable for even one goldfish. Goldfish are heavy feeders who make big messes and need a lot of filtration and tank cleaning to stay healthy.

This other fish that you don't know the name of....do you have a pic? Some fish will stress and die if not kept in schools, and some are very aggressive and will attack any other fish in their territory.

Jackie467
November 20th, 2004, 07:50 PM
as far as tank sizes i mean that it is easier to clean because so much water to remove is not simple, I have had large tanks before that i had problems with (that is why i said in my oppinion, everyone may think one thing is easier than another). I also have a filter in both tanks, and a heater in the tank without the goldfish, and do gravel vaccuuming and syphening once a week. the other reason i did not get large tanks is because my mother would have fliped. I had to beg for her to let me use the 25. becaue our new house is all capeted she thinks that water will splash on the floor and ruin it. ( i know thats not so but she won't listen to me).actully another reason i removed the goldfish from the tank with the guppies is because the guppies were picking on him, attacking his fins and biting them all up (maybe i just have a wierd goldfish or weird guppies but i know i wasn't imagining it, i saw it with my own eyes). the calico tail I have is a very small goldfish only about 3 inches long as well as the black one i got. those two are in a 25 gallon tank that my uncle had specially made for me for my birthday one year (he's a real big fish buff and thought that it would make a great gift for me. I'll try to post a pic of it later if i can find my camera). the other fish i got that i don't know the name of was actully in the tank with the guppies when i got them. i know people that work at pet stores don't know a lot about the animals but they had a print out about each type of fish (I lost the print out for the one i don't know the name of) and it stated that they actully do very well in tanks with guppies but no others of their speicies, i remember that. the name was something big and long and started with neon.