Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog sunscreen advice

melanie
November 20th, 2004, 04:15 PM
hi all, summer is here and this year charlie will need sunscreen for her nose as it has lost some pigmentation in the past few yrs and needs a cover up. the loss of pigmentation is natural according to the experts and happens to some dogs that like to beoutside during the hot summers or it will jsut happen as they age..

so i am looking for the least toxic dog sunscreen possible, i avoid using chemicals on her and always have, she even gets bathed in baby shampoo for this reason. so what do you know about them? do you know of any low chemical based ones, or do you know of a very gentle baby sunscreen i oculd use on her (but that may get licked off) or should i dress her up like an aussie cricketer with heaps of yellow/green zinc on the nose or should i just go and get her some of those big old lady floopy hats and be done with it :D :p

what do you use, know of or suggest?? :crazy: thanks

BMDLuver
November 20th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Use Zincofax, it is very thick and if it's safe for a baby then certainly it is safe for a dog!

Sneaky2006
November 20th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Well, I don't have a dog, but I would say if you use baby shampoo on her, I would use baby sunblock too!
Although, I think she would look cute in a big old lady floppy hat!!!

TobsterMom
November 20th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Natural loss of pigmentation is a natural aging process for some dogs, especially the "diggers" I would also recommend for people to use ceramic or stainless steel dishes as plastic dishes will cause this. As for sunscreen, I would be careful of what I put on a dogs nose, as they generally will lick it off. You should give your vet a ring, they may have many great suggestions.

Have fun in the sun...lucky you!!!

melanie
November 21st, 2004, 02:30 PM
thanks guys, yes she would look sooo cute with a hat and hand bag (no knee high stockings though :rolleyes: ).

i am going to the vet later this week to see what he has, thans for the advice guys.

thanks tobsters mum, yes she is a sort of digger, more like a hog looking for truffles actually, silly girl. so the nose sees alot of action, she also loves the outdoors and is 8yo so its just one of those thing,s but its pretty cute getting her her own sunscreen, oh so cute.

oh and yes we will soak up that sun and think of you all whilst we do it :D :D (charlie is a beach furbaby, she loves the ocean so its swim time yay) :D .

wAggie
November 22nd, 2004, 11:17 PM
hahaha, "summer is here"

I WISH!! had to check the date... and oh my, yes, november and mel's in au-str-ay :p :p

I WISH i were there.... :(

I used good o' human sunscreen, not that it really worked. choco always licked it off. and honey never stayed outside long nuff to need it. she's strange, such an indoor dog. :rolleyes: