Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I be concerned?

My Lady Lola
November 20th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I have a 5 month old short-haired Chihuahua. She has had all her shots including rabies as of Nov 6th. She is in no discomfort & all bodily functions appear normal. She has a tiny lump about the size of a tiny baby pea on her right side - along the rib cage. I noticed it three days ago but she doesn't flinch or anything when I touch it. I'm a brand-new Mom & am just not sure if it warrants a visit to the Vet. :confused: Thank you in advance.

CyberKitten
November 20th, 2004, 04:39 PM
I know nothing about that dog breed but if I found a lump anywhere on my cat, she'd be at the vet tomorrow. Be safe and check it out!

Gazoo
November 20th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Might be something as minor as a bug bite or some kind of skin reaction? Could be a fatty cyst or tumour of some type though. I'd keep an eye on it and if it doesn't get better in a few days go to a vet. On an older dog I wouldn't worry about it b/c they get all sorts of lumps and bumps but on a puppy I'm not so sure.

BMDLuver
November 20th, 2004, 06:32 PM
A friend recently adopted a Chi and she had a similar lump on her vertebrae. She took her to the vets and learnt it was a fatty cyst. Don't stress yourself but have it checked out on Monday.

Karin
November 20th, 2004, 07:34 PM
I have a 5 month old short-haired Chihuahua. She has had all her shots including rabies as of Nov 6th. She is in no discomfort & all bodily functions appear normal. She has a tiny lump about the size of a tiny baby pea on her right side - along the rib cage. I noticed it three days ago but she doesn't flinch or anything when I touch it. I'm a brand-new Mom & am just not sure if it warrants a visit to the Vet. :confused: Thank you in advance.

This could be a Rabies vax reaction. The size of "a pea" is on the down size...it should be less noticable within a few weeks. By all means, call your vet. I would not worry about it too much, this is common. But do bring this to your vet's attention. Next time a different avenue will be taken with the Rabies vax. This happens sometimes.

Keep us posted!

PetFriendly
November 21st, 2004, 09:25 AM
I'm a brand-new Mom & am just not sure if it warrants a visit to the Vet.

My rule of thumb is, when in doubt, call the vet. Sure it can get expensive, but at the end of the day, that little pup is looking up to you to make sure its ok.

My Lady Lola
November 21st, 2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks everybody for your feedback. After I sent the message I thought about the Rabies Vax & that it is approximately where the Vet gave her the shot. I didn't know if I was being a nervous Nellie :) but I'm going to take her in to the Vet's tomorrow. Thanks again.

My Lady Lola
November 22nd, 2004, 02:14 PM
I took Lola to the Vet today & she assured me that the tiny lump was a site reaction from the Rabies Vaccine & to not be concerned about it & that it will disappear in time. She also advised to keep an eye on it, in case there's any changes. Thanks again for the feedback.

Karin
November 22nd, 2004, 07:04 PM
Your vet will "flag" your record. The next vax will be IM instead of subcutaneous..(SQ) With an IM injection there is no reaction.

SQ is the easy, fast and most appealing delivery of any injection when the owners are present. An IM injection is painless too as long as the drug does not sting, which is rare these days.

moontamara
November 22nd, 2004, 08:39 PM
I took Lola to the Vet today & she assured me that the tiny lump was a site reaction from the Rabies Vaccine & to not be concerned about it & that it will disappear in time. She also advised to keep an eye on it, in case there's any changes. Thanks again for the feedback.

Just curious -- what if anything did your vet charge for such a simple visit?

My Lady Lola
November 23rd, 2004, 06:17 AM
There was no charge for this consultation.

moontamara
November 23rd, 2004, 06:51 AM
There was no charge for this consultation.

Good! That's what hoped to hear! I think some people don't take their pets in to the vet because they worry that it will be a waste of money if their pet doesn't need a vet's help. I hope most vets charge the way yours does!

BMDLuver
November 23rd, 2004, 06:57 AM
Glad to hear that she's ok and it was just a tiny reaction to the injection. It's terrible to worry about a small pup.