Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitty 2 yrs. past heat stroke..problems

Dana Jamison
November 20th, 2004, 01:39 PM
thanks everybody...my kitty recovered from a heat stroke 2 yrs. ago. He went from a slender cat to very obese..he used to eat very slowly and nonchalantly..now he eats as if it's his last meal. He will puke his food up within minutes after eating it, but not every day..and it seems to correlate with him consuming quickly. His stool also went from normal...to raspberry size after the stroke, and has never returned. Every vet I have seen tells me this is to be expected after a stroke as digestive damage can occur. Any suggestions on how I can help this little guy lose some weight(we have 2 cats sharing same dishes!) and stop his purging?? thanks to all for listening.

chico2
November 20th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Sorry to hear that,but I think firstly you should give them a dish each,I have three cats and three dishes(for the wet food),otherwise my youngest would eat it all and soon be pudgy and un-well.
In your case I would buy different good quality low-cal food for the obese cat and have them eat their food seperate.
Obesity in cats can cause all kinds of problems,just like people,diabetes being one,so try to slim him down,he'll feel better for it.

CyberKitten
November 20th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Here is a good article on overweight kitties tho your cat sounds like he has a few special problems.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/catweight.html

Have you tried feeding him in his own dish and feeding just a few (say four) small meals a day. That way, he can only eat so much and cannot overindulge.

Diets high in protein and low in carbohydrates are very good for overweight cats. I think the key is controlling how much he eats and giving him his own dish and perhaps even keeping him away from the other cats' bowls.

petlover5150
November 21st, 2004, 06:14 AM
I had to put my eldest cat on a diet because he was eating all his food and then the kittens as well!! I totally agree with the others, you should feed them at different times and feed him just a little bit so he isn't stuffing himself. Also is your cat getting wet and dry food? If so i would cut out the wet stuff cos they don't need it. Sinbad didn't speak to me for days when I cut out his Whiskas but he's used to it now, and a lot thinner too! :D

chico2
November 21st, 2004, 07:46 AM
My three cats get both wet/dry,I don't believe wet food neccesarily make them fatter,it all depends on how much and what kind you feed them.
Many cheap grocery-store foods do nothing for the cats other than make them fat.
My tabby also had a heat-stroke one very hot summer-day,luckily I was outside with him,got him into the cool house quickly and he had no lasting effects.

PetFriendly
November 21st, 2004, 10:20 AM
..he used to eat very slowly and nonchalantly..now he eats as if it's his last meal. He will puke his food up within minutes after eating it, but not every day..and it seems to correlate with him consuming quickly.

Here's something that worked for us, once the vet confirmed there was nothing medically wrong with the cat... Put two clean golf balls in the food dish. It will slow the cat down as they have to eat around the balls.

The other thing the vet suggested was to spread the food out on a baking sheet... We didn't try that as the golf balls worked, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.