Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I be hurting this much??

heeler's rock!
November 19th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Hi everyone. I got my cat that we found spayed today, and as I mentioned in another thread, we suspected she was pregnant. I knew that getting her spayed wasn't an option, but I didn't know if I wanted to abort the kittens. I know aborting them is the right thing to do, but it feels so crappy! Anyways, she went in for the spay today and she was quite far along in her pregnancy. So far in fact, that they said she would have given birth in the next 3 - 4 days. She had 5 kittens removed from her. I've been crying all day and completely out of it. I even forgot to lock the back door at a client's house!!! Luckily no one broke in and they're not mad, but I feel horrible! Was it really the best decision to abort the kittens? Part of me wishes I kept them and got them all fixed and their shots, and then adopted them out. I feel like crap and I don't know if it should hurt this much...... :(

BMDLuver
November 19th, 2004, 08:19 PM
That is one of the hardest decisions anyone has to make to take a life, no matter how big or small. You did what was in the best interests of the cat. The kittens would have added to the already overpopulated world. Don't beat yourself up about it. It seems terrible right now but in time, when you see the volume of unwanted kittens you will know you did the right thing.

lil_kirk
November 19th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Awe. You did the right thing---just remind yourself by clicking on Petfinder and seeing the thousands of homeless cats....if you want to find homes for kitties you can always help the rescues find good parents for the homeless animals!

Of course it is always sad to have to make these difficult decisions---but you did the right thing. You should be proud for making the hard choice.

goldenblaze
November 19th, 2004, 08:27 PM
I agree with others you did what was best! You saved the mother cat and deserve prise for that kindness. Time will help you feel better now please enjoy your new healthy cat for many yrs.

Karin
November 19th, 2004, 08:35 PM
You did do right by the cat. She will feel no difference. In a few days she will start her life over again with a brighter future.

Spaying a very pregnant pet is hard on the vet & techs also. But they would rather do that than see the possible outcome.

You must have asked them about the details of the surgery. Normally they would not give up this sensitive information unless asked by the owner.

It's one of those "better left unmentioned" kinda things..

Thank you for taking care of her...

Lucky Rescue
November 19th, 2004, 08:49 PM
I'm so sorry, and I know just how you feel. I felt the same way when I had to do this.:(

I didn't ask the vet how far along they were, and she never said. I know it was upsetting for her too, but we all know how many kittens are sitting in shelters and it just isn't right to bring more kittens into the world if it's possible to avoid it.

You did the right thing, both for the momma cat and for the kittens.

heeler's rock!
November 19th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your support :o . I know how many homeless kitties there are, and I do want to help out in any way I can. I know it was better for her to not have the kitties, and I know it's better for the pet population aswell. It just hurts so much! I can't imagine being a vet or a vet tech and having to deal with tragedy on a daily basis. I did ask how many fetuses there were, and I did ask how far along "advanced pregnancy" ment. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I feel like I don't have the right to be shielded from the truth. Nova (the kitty) knew how many she had, so I should know too. She came home and is just hiding under the bed. I hope she comes around soon. Will she still be thinking she's pregnant, or does she know they're gone? I hope this gets easier cuz my heart feels so heavy! I hope I never have to go through this again, but if I had to do it all over again, I know I would have no choice. Too many homeless kitties that need homes. :(

chico2
November 20th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Awww Heelers,my sympathy goes out to you,sometimes doing "the right thing"
hurts,but it will pass...Nova is one lucky kitty and she will soon realize that and be ready for lots of love and cuddles.
You probably saved a whole lot of kittens from dying in the cold by taking her in and having her spayed,she'll come around,she's just been through quiet an ordeal.....but she'll be so much better off because of it.

CyberKitten
November 20th, 2004, 01:52 PM
You did absolutely the right thing but it is a heart wrenching decision and hugs to you as you go through it. I am sure Nova will be fine in a few days and she will come around. She is a lucky kitty!!

TobsterMom
November 20th, 2004, 08:06 PM
I work as a vet assistant, and everyday I see pet owners struggle to make the best decisions for their pets. Trust me, just the simple fact that you were responsible and cared enough to have your cat taken care of at the vet is fantastic. I see too many people drop pregnant cats off on the side of the road or in a ditch.

I think it's wonderful that you love and take care of your cat. You are a responsible loving pet owner, and as tough as that decision was, you had your pets well being as top priority. I think you made the right decision and I congratulate you for taking care and responsiblity for this cat. She will give you so much love in return.

As for the hiding, I think she's a little confused and freaked out right now. Give her some time and lot's of love, she'll come around in a few days.

Try not to beat yourself up. God bless and take care.

heeler's rock!
November 20th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Thank you Tobster. It's nice to hear that from someone on the "recieving" end of animal health. It was a very hard decision for us, but we knew it was the best thing to do.

We didn't actually find her on the street, but at the HS where she was found on the street as a stray 4 days earlier. We went there to buy some stuff, and decided to take a look around at the kitties. We met with a few, but the Carlos saw Nova and we met with her. She was very sweet and we knew she had to come home with us. We filled out the paper work and picked her up the next day. It was only $135.00 for the adoption fee, and they covered the spay. I found it weird that she wasn't spayed before they released her to us, but I guess they need to make room for the other homeless kitties. :( She had an upper respiritory virus, but the HS has a list of vet's that offer a free check up when you adopt, so we only paid for the anti-biotics. Anyways, sorry for making it sound like we found her wandering around! I was just re-reading my posts from here and from before and that's what it sounded like. Even if we did find her on the street, we would've helped her in a heart beat. :o

wAggie
November 22nd, 2004, 11:24 PM
I hate to say this, but u may have made the right decision.

keep ur head up high, and reread these replies... they're doing you a world of good. :)