Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oh Christmas tree!

Lsmith987
November 19th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I have just put up my artificial tree. We have a two year old cat. He seems to enjoy urinating under the tree. He also enjoys climbing it. I went out and purchased a natural spray that was supposed to deter the cat from the tree. My problem is that the spray seems to have the oppisite effect. Any suggestions??????????

GsdDiamond
November 19th, 2004, 04:03 PM
A previous thread had a suggestion for preventing cats from doing something nasty. LR, our moderator, suggested orange peel. Cats seem to have an adversion to anything acidic.

Try placing, and rubbing, orange peels at the base of the tree and on some of the lower branches.

glasslass
November 19th, 2004, 08:00 PM
This is a photo of Puss-Puss from a previous Christmas.

Gazoo
November 19th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Deep sigh........

nothing says Xmas like tinsel dangling out of a cat's a@$. :D

Writing4Fun
November 19th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Well, that's a lovely visual, Gazoo. (read with heavy sarcasm)

Here's a pic of Brooklyn under our tree a couple of years ago. He never really gave us a hard time with the tree, even as a kitten. Maybe it's because we have a real "Charlie Brown" kinda tree. Hey! There's your answer! Get yourself an ugly tree, like mine, and your cat will naturally be repulsed! :p

Lucky Rescue
November 19th, 2004, 10:20 PM
What kind of spray did you get? Yes, citrus is usually something cats hate, and there are repellent sprays made for this that smell pleasantly of oranges.

And yeah, keep tinsel off the tree. For some reason cats seem to love eating it. :rolleyes:

BMDLuver
November 20th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Deep sigh........

nothing says Xmas like tinsel dangling out of a cat's a@$. :D

I will now have that visual in my mind for the whole day! I forgot about those days with my cat when he would take the whole tree over and destroy anything in his path. We started to nail the tree to the wall after that. :eek:

Delirium
November 20th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Crap. I forgot about this concept completely. We're putting up our tree today. This is the first year in many that i've had dogs in the house heh. Gotta try and remember all of our dog proofing techniques. I guess our decorations are starting about a foot up the tree again heh.

Dee

maddoxies
November 21st, 2004, 11:46 AM
The tree should be interesting at my house this year, as it is the first Christmas that Valentin has been with us.

He was a puppy mill rescue and this will be his first experience with a Christmas tree. Pee on it, climb it, chew it ???? the possiblities are endless with him :evil:

Not only will the ornaments start about 24" from the floor (Valentin is a 12" mini doxie), I think I will leave the bottom branches off the tree (one bonus to having an artificial tree). Nailing the tree to the wall is not an option for me, but securing it with fishing line to a hook in the ceiling is another alternative :)

It is so funny to see my golden's reaction :angel: when the doxie gets in trouble :evil: . Champ looks at Valentin as if to say "I told you not to do that" :)

So far Valentin has not handled Christmas too well :sad: He nipped Santa last week at the photo session. Maybe he is a jewish doxie ???? (this is not a racial slur, my ex is jewish, and I recognize that Christianity's roots come from Judeaism)

The Safari Pet Store at the Rockland Mall in Montreal have Channuka stockings for your dog (blue stocking decorated with menorah's and draydels), and a cute little tuxedo shirt front and bow tie for bark-mitzphas. For those who know Montreal, generally, I do not like to shop there as this store sells dogs and cats , but Valentin broke his harness while we were out and this was the closest store. I was pleased to see how Valentin handled the crowds at the mall and got over his nervousness very quickly.

Happy Holidays to everyone

louie's mum
November 21st, 2004, 09:02 PM
this thread has given me a great chuckle.
tinsel hanging from places tinsel never should hang
trees nailed to walls
trees beginning 3 feet up off the floor with only a stick 'trunk' (epitomy of charlie brown tree)
don't know why i'm laughing ... my holiday joy will begin soon enough

now what did i do with my tree :confused:

LOUIE ...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

lilith_rizel
November 21st, 2004, 10:15 PM
Well, my aunt's cats attack the Christmas tree every year. They have started using plastic bulbs instead of glass ones. I am happy to say that there isn't going to be a tree on my house this year. The tree James and I got last year, is still at my mother's house, over 1000 miles from here. Next year I will probably have one up, but it is going to be a very small one, maybe 2 or 3 feet tall, being that I will have Cano and the baby that would try to get at it. I want something small enough that can go on a table, out of reach!!!

As far as keeping kitty away from the tree, try fencing the tree off, by making a fence out of something that the kitties can not climb on, i.e. plywood or plexyglass. The plaxyglass option would look nice, and you could decorate it with decals, even if it ends up being 3 or 4 feet tall. It is something one of my relatives did with her dog, it may work with cats, depends on how high your cat can jump.

sujean
November 23rd, 2004, 01:53 AM
sadly this is the first time that i am putting up a tree with cats or dogs in the house. i'm not sure what to expect. should i assume the cats will all climb into the tree? should i assume the dog will knock the tree over?

now i'm a little nervous. we have a fake tree and can't rmeember what kind of ornaments we have...any suggestions?

thanks!

Gazoo
November 23rd, 2004, 09:54 AM
sadly this is the first time that i am putting up a tree with cats or dogs in the house. i'm not sure what to expect. should i assume the cats will all climb into the tree? should i assume the dog will knock the tree over?

now i'm a little nervous. we have a fake tree and can't rmeember what kind of ornaments we have...any suggestions?

thanks!

Don't use tinsel with a cat! :D

Sunkist/Winnie
November 23rd, 2004, 10:09 AM
Who knows how they are going to react.

I have one cat that is quite content to lie under the tree among the presents and peak out like you can't see her. That's Winnie the older one.

Now Sunkist, the other ball of fur likes to peak out at you from the tree too -but only 4 feet off the ground will do!

At least she's careful when she climbs it and hardly ever knocks anything off or down. I too have unbreakable ornaments. Alot of hand made x-stitch and plactis canvas, plus pewter ornaments....no glass, just in case.

GsdDiamond
November 23rd, 2004, 10:16 AM
Man, I am so NOT looking forward to putting up the tree. She'll be barking her fool head off for WEEKS! :rolleyes:

Major's Mom
November 23rd, 2004, 07:16 PM
Ok, I must say, I've had the best laugh about this thread. Cats, trees, dogs that pee....could be a Christmas Carole in there somewhere! :rolleyes: Gotta love the four legged kids that own the home! :crazy: