Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tuna

coonlover
November 19th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Can I give tuna in water to my cats for a treat?? They go crazy when I open a can.

Donna Marie
November 19th, 2004, 03:03 PM
I have been told that tuna is bad for cats....I don't have the info on hand, but I am sure someone can back me up on this.

schnauzerlove
November 19th, 2004, 03:06 PM
I think (not sure) that too much tuna is bad for all 2 and 4 legged creatures because of the mercury content?! Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

GsdDiamond
November 19th, 2004, 03:10 PM
A friend of mine gives her cat a can a tuna a week, and she hasn't seen any adverse reactions with the cat, other than weight gain. Tuna, in larger quantities is very high in protien and causes weight gain, and high levels of mercury.

That being said, even though I'm no cat expert, I would think on a very infrequent basis it should be ok. Just like it's ok for people in smaller quantities.

sujean
November 19th, 2004, 05:03 PM
i too have heard that large amounts of tuna for cats is bad-mercury and weight gain.

however, my 4 cats get 1 can of tuna to share once a month and i have not seen any problems and no weight gain. only stinky poop the next couple of days...

it is definately a nice treat for kitty every once in a while.

i have also heard that the tuna in oil in ok in small quantites-the oil in the tuna is good for their coats. but i stick to the tuna in water. don't want to take a chance of the cats getting fat on the oil.

Sneaky2006
November 19th, 2004, 05:06 PM
I give my cats tuna almost every time we have some, although not a whole can. If we don't give them any, we give them the juice from it, they love it!
I heard tuna in dry cat food was bad... but not the real stuff...

CyberKitten
November 19th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Here is a good link that outlines why tuna is not so good. (I admittedly only learned about this recently!) But it was before Yin Yin arrived so whew!! (But I wonder about the cats I had before, sigh!! (Mind you, maybe less mercury in the tuna then?)

http://www.gorbzilla.com/all_about_tuna.htm

Essentially, tuna is not the best food even as a treat to your cats. It contains high amounts of mercury and because of the high fat content, it can lead to a condition called Steatis - a loss of vitamin E with symptoms that include impaired mobility, fever and loss of appetite.

Re: A friend of mine gives her cat a can a tuna a week, and she hasn't seen any adverse reactions with the cat.

It is not good to examine something by looking at anecdotal evidence, in this case, one cat. Scientific studies have shown that tuna can be very bad for their diet and lead to very severe problems.

Here is another link on cat nutrition. Cats can apparently become addicted to tuna (I belive that based on my own anecdotal evidence with my cats though none developed severe steastis.)

http://pets.yahoo.com/pets/cats/hn/vitamins

I just refuse to take the chance!!!