Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice please!!!

moontamara
November 19th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Hi everyone!

I just got offered a one month job teaching at an English camp! The pay is about twice what one normally gets for a month of teaching in Korea for the same number of hours, so I feel it's a great opportunity to make a nice bundle of cash without a long-term committment. It also happens to be in the city where my husband is now working and where we're about to move!

The problem is Casey, my (will be by then) 8-month old toy poodle. When I first got him he was often home alone for as much as 7 hours, but during the last few months he is usually with me and only home alone for less than 3 hours at a time. He handles that time alone quite well...he no longer needs to be crated, and is never destructive or anything like that. But this job will mean that he'll be home alone at least 9 hours a day! :eek: If it seems viable, I may try to hire a woman to come in during the day (maybe pay her to do my dishes too :p ) for an hour or so, but I really don't know if I'll be able to find someone, since it isn't a typical concern here.

I have an appointment to view and sign the contract on Tuesday (Monday night in Canada) so I have to decide by then, and will not know if I can find someone to help with Casey.

Please let me know what you think I should do!

THANK YOU!!!!

Writing4Fun
November 19th, 2004, 06:24 AM
What an excellent opportunity! It's only for one month. I say go for it! When does it start? Do you have time to get Casey used to being alone again? Will you be moved into your new place by then? Is it close enough to come home at lunch hours? Would you be able to find another ESL teacher who might be looking for extra work - someone who understands the western pet culture a little better, and so won't be afraid of or put off by the pup? What does hubby think of the whole situation? Oh, this is so exciting! Let us know how it goes! :thumbs up

Sneaky2006
November 19th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Sounds like he would be fine! Like W4F said, it's only one month, for weekdays that's only like what, 24-25 days?? You have to decide by Tuesday but when would it actually start?

chico2
November 19th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Moontamara,I'd say go for it....every little bit helps :thumbs up
I am sure Casey will be ok,hopefully you can find someone you trust to look in on her,but even so,as you say it's only for a month.

sujean
November 19th, 2004, 10:58 AM
tamara,

you should totally take that job!! even if you can have someone drop in just to play with him half way through the day would be enough, i would imagine. maybe you can find a neighbor or a neighbor's child to come play with him for a little bit...

a co-worker of mine has a son that started his own dog walking business. he charges $5 a walk and he takes them out for 45 minutes at a time and plays with them. it has become so popular of a service, the city contacted him asking him to head up the new city dog park project-not knowing he is only 10!!

congrats on the job!!

mastifflover
November 19th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Go for it great opportunity.It is only a month

GsdDiamond
November 19th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Sounds perfect to me. Go for it!! :thumbs up :thumbs up

CyberKitten
November 19th, 2004, 01:08 PM
I agree- take the job and have someone check in on Casey - maybe walk him and let him do his thing - during the day.

moontamara
November 20th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Wow, thanks for the support!

Here's what my husband and I decided (your advice was helpful and definitely calmed my guilt -- so thank you!!!)... I'm going to the official interview on Tuesday -- although I was told I had the job on the phone there is this formality to go through, of course. I will ask them about the commuting time then. If the commute takes less than 40 minutes, I will take the job. More than 40 minutes, I'll pass.

Also, my husband's brother may be staying with us during that time anyway, so Casey may not be a concern at all!

Anyway, I'll let you all know how it goes on Tuesday!

THANK YOU!!!! :D :D :D

glasslass
November 22nd, 2004, 07:04 PM
Good luck tomorrow Moonie! :thumbs up