Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is It The Food?

Shannon83
November 18th, 2004, 12:35 PM
So we have reach the point were just about everyone is sick and I am starting to think it has to do with the food (wal-mart brand), first here are their symptoms: Beige liquid bowel, their vomit is the same colour, they have been dewormed and most of them are up to date on their shots. no vet will see us tonight as they say their all full.

Lucky Rescue
November 18th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Wal-mart brand is about the worst crap on the market, but even that shouldn't cause such severe symptoms. How long has this been going on?

I would visit the vet as soon as possible.

Shannon83
November 18th, 2004, 12:56 PM
I don't like the brand but with one of us working it all we can get but after tonight their going back on their pro plan, it's been off and on for about a week.. at first I really didn't notice but then one day the bowel had an odd smell to it and to top it off someone got blood in their bowel and I don't know who it's coming from cause their not doing it in the litter box but on the floor. I can only get to a vets after 6pm when my boyfriend comes home since he's the one with the money but one way or another their going to be seen tonight... just about all 20+ cats/kittens have it and it seen to be spreeding fast.

mastifflover
November 18th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Well the food is crap as Lucky said but I would find a vet who could see them and take a stool sample with you this food I cant imagine would do this. I would definitely spend the money on a higher quality food and save money on vet bills. The better the food the healthier the cat.

Bugsy
November 19th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Keep us updated Shannon.... :sad:

Shannon83
November 19th, 2004, 10:35 AM
The vet said no food or water for 12hrs for the old cats and no water for the kittens for 12hrs but they get no food for 6hrs, needless to say that my house isn't were you want to be right now. everyone is on hill's I/D for a month.

mastifflover
November 19th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Did he say what the problem is with the cats and kittens. I am glad you got them to the vet. Keep us updated

Karin
November 19th, 2004, 12:21 PM
I am taking a wild stab at this one but it does resemble a coccidia problem.

I hope your vet prescribed a sulphatrim or Albon treatment.

Please update ..

Shannon83
November 19th, 2004, 01:43 PM
the vet didn't what it was but to do what I wrote above, their bowel has change some what and some seen to look a bit better. it has been very hard on some of the kittens... a few of the 2month old ones were already small to start with but now weight under 1lb, so we have to watch them.

Shannon83
November 22nd, 2004, 12:04 PM
Things have not got any better and so they see the vet this saturday and hopeful they'll get better but for now all we can do is wait, picture below is of mike who is 2month and now weights under a 1lb.

saintlover
November 23rd, 2004, 08:03 AM
:sick: this seems to be a little odd thou that you would wait for quite sometime to take them back to the vet. i would take them to the dmv or any other emergency vet instead of saturday. especially for the kittens they can deteriate very rapidly especially being under a pound, the pic of that kitten looks deadly sick.i hope you are not adopting these cats out knowing that their sick.i noticed that the kitten is in a cage is it a shelter you have or is it in your house.if you have a heart you would take them back asap before 1 of them dies.the poor babies.. :sad: :(

Shannon83
November 23rd, 2004, 09:51 AM
My vet is very book this week and I won't bring them to any other... in less you got $90 for the fee just to see the vet on top of all the other stuff the DMV will give then please do make a donation but other that I know what I'm doing and you have to understand that non-profit rescue can't just pull out money to go to any vet when their's no money. open your eyes and see that the kitten is on top of a cage and not in it and nor do we adopt out sick cats.

GsdDiamond
November 23rd, 2004, 09:58 AM
I'm assuming he did blood tests on the little tykes. I'm thinking FIV or some other contageous disease if it's spreading from kitten to kitten.

Please, do keep us posted!

saintlover
November 23rd, 2004, 04:31 PM
:sick:
oh i understand fully.. but tell me are u a shelter or do u have these poor babies at home, and i assume no blood test were even done,now you got to understand my point u come on this board and announce that 20+ cats n kittens are sick so you do not think no one would reply who out there deals with animals everyday of their life, and i know alot of rescues would dip into their own pockets more or less to help an animal instead of watching it suffer. especially to see that poor sick baby kitten,i am not here to arge with you. like you said you know what your doing :sad: i went and look at your site and those beautiful cats you have are they all sick too...... :( then you stated that you took these poor babies 20+ cats to the vet and said that the vet didnt know what it was and put them on hills which i am surprised with the baby kitten or that he didnt even keep at the vets or nothing just sent you on your way with hills food,i just don't see it nor understand how a vet doesn't know what is wrong with them it makes no sense i am confused and i think alot other people are...i feel for those babies.........

dove
November 23rd, 2004, 06:54 PM
Hi I have been reading this message board and I am quite concerned for your cats. It seems that your veternarian is treating the cats as if they have gastro. However he has not done any test to ensure that there is no other factor involved. Kittens can dehydrate very very quickly if not treated properly. From the picture of the little guy, you can see that he is already dehydrating. It is not wise to wait another 4 days before having them seen by a vet. There are many other sicknesses that they can have.

Coccidia as already mentioned by Karin, parisites, and many more reasons.

YOu said that the cats and kittens have already been dewormed. May I ask what you used?

I am surprised that your veternarian never did any tests or even kept the little ones in for re-hydrating. I think they should see another vet before saturday to get to the root of the problem.

I know that there is no money in rescue, but there is deffinatley a moral responsiblity that comes with being in rescue. Please don't make these babies wait. I would love to give a donation if I had a dime to my name but I don't. Can you give us your rescues website information to be passed around for possible donations.

If you can not get proper veternary care before saturday have you considered contacting other rescue groups in your area for their assistance.

Please try not to think of the money, but rather think of the animals that you now have in your care. And have promised to care for

please keep us posted

Shannon83
November 24th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Mike was anything but dehydrated that day. I though I'd let you know that Mike and his litter mates are doing fine and their bowel is back to the way it should be and they haven't vomit in almost three days, as for eveyone else... well their starting to come around but thoes who have not will see the vet tomorrow, Dove if you like to more about are rescue you can do to the link below.

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/QC18.html