Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Similac advance, good brand of baby formula???

lilith_rizel
November 18th, 2004, 12:30 PM
I just got a 8 OZ sample of Similac advance bay formula in the mail. I was wondering if this is go good brand, or if there is one that is better for infants. Yes, we are planning on breastfeeding. We just want the formula incase of an emergancy where we wouldn't have time to express milk, and we would have to leave the baby with some one for a few hours or so. We want to have a formula that is as close to breast milk as possible.

Anyone have any input?

Writing4Fun
November 18th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Similac is good, but both our babies had a hard time keeping it down, so we went with Isomil.

lilith_rizel
November 18th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Does that have DHA and ARA?

Iggette
November 21st, 2004, 07:14 AM
It's been almost 20 years since I delt with this but similac was around then .....but I used to use Enflac I found the taste better and so did my kids!! (yep if my child is going to have it , I'm going to taste it....lol) :crazy: Im not sutre about the DHA and ARA that you speek of. I breast fed also but supplemented when I had to

LavenderRott
November 21st, 2004, 07:32 AM
Similac had too much iron for my girls, so I fed Isomil. Since I had used it for the girls, I did with Q, too. I prefer the powder over the liquid, easier to take places and add water when you need it.

I have no idea what DHA and ARA is either, so I can't help you out there.

Sneaky2006
November 21st, 2004, 08:14 AM
DHA and ARA are supplements found in breast milk and Similac Advance has DHA and ARA in it, I think that's why it's called 'Advance', regular Similac doesn't. Enfamil LIPIL is also supplemented with DHA and ARA... I don't know about Isomil... If that is a soy formula, I'm pretty sure it isn't.
Also Beech-Nut First Advantage baby food is supplemented with it.