Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dentists??? how do they work here?

jackieb
November 18th, 2004, 11:04 AM
My son has 8 cavities awful i know anyway he has been twice but hes doing one filling at a time. I was wondering why i asked him and was told to break him in gently but its not working as hes very good but getting fed up now hes only 4 and a half.

so do dentist get paid for everytime you vist and every filling or just the treatment if anyone can help i would be grateful??

Tannerbaby
November 18th, 2004, 11:55 AM
yes jackie you have to pay each visit, then get reimbursed by your insurance. thats how it is at our dentist. I just paid $271 for caseys appointment and just received a check back for $216.

Ling
November 18th, 2004, 12:07 PM
My dentist gets paid for time and per item. If you're concerned that he's not doing what's best for your son - what about calling another densist and ask them what they think would be best?

And I don't know if it's the same for each province (I'm in BC), but my dentist bills my insurance company directly, then sends me a statement for the part that I owe as my deductable. But I've been going there since I was born - or at least as long as I can remember. Some dentist will do that for you so you're not out of pocket. If you're tight for cash talk to them and maybe they can work something out for you - payment plans maybe?

jackieb
November 18th, 2004, 12:10 PM
yes my dentist bills my insurance company i dont pay them but i was concerned about ciaran having to go so many times and wondered if he was getting more money for this?

BMDLuver
November 18th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Is your dentist one that specializes in children? If not, perhaps consult on in your area that does. It seems a very long drawn out process for a child so young? I go twice a year and I'm nervous so it must be hard on a child to have to do that 8 times. :eek:

onecatandonedog
November 18th, 2004, 12:24 PM
i wish dentists were publicly funded. then i would trust them more.

jackieb
November 18th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks i have rang them and told them my worrys i will see what he says he is good with kids but as you say its a long procecess for a four and half year old.

Tannerbaby
November 18th, 2004, 04:31 PM
yikes we pay out of pocket (or a post dated check) and then get a refund in the amount that the insurance covered. :crazy:

CyberKitten
November 18th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Dentists charge for every item (kind of like a line item budget). However, in many provinces, if parents are receiving government assistance, children's dental care is covered by Medicare (until they turn 16). Parents who have financial problems can also apply for a "health card". It varies by province though. Other provinces will pay for the care if your pediatrician or GP applies for a Ministerial discretion. (This is the case in NB). Also, if the dental care is deemed essential - as in oncology cases- Medicare coverage is autimatic in almost every province. The IWK in Halifax has an excellent pediatric dental clinic and if you live near a city with a dental school, you will probably find a similar clinic.

I see you are in BC. There is a pediatric clinic in Vancouver but I will have to ask what hospital it is associated wth if you wish that info. (There have been so many amalgamations in that povince as you undoubtedly know).

That said, there are few pediatric residencies for dentists across Canada (6 I believe) so it is not as common a field as one might think.

Many work related dental plans cover dental care as an emergency but expect the parent to cover regular items like checkups and cavaties.

It is very unusual for a child today to have so many cavaties. Have you had your pediatrician examine to see if there are underlying issues? (siuns, otis media for ex)?

Sneaky2006
November 18th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Wow, I feel horrible... just last week I was complaining about our insurance not covering some things my husband needed done. We don't pay upfront if it's covered and most normal dental work is... cleanings, fillings, x-rays, partial for root canals. We get $1000 per year, per person of the family... that's actually low around here and I was whining about what wasn't covered, instead of being happy about what was. :o :(
I agree with Cyberkitten though... 8 cavities for a child so young does seem unusual... they don't even have that many teeth to start with, do they?
I do understand about doing it 8 separate times though, 1 cavity to fill is long for a child that young to sit through.

Princesss04
November 18th, 2004, 11:03 PM
yes jackie you have to pay each visit, then get reimbursed by your insurance. thats how it is at our dentist. I just paid $271 for caseys appointment and just received a check back for $216.

Hey how long did it take for you to get the check back from your insurance? I just went today and got all my wisdom teeth cut out and I paid 1150 and the insurance will send me a check for their part but was wondering about how long will it take?

Writing4Fun
November 18th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Depends on who your carrier is, I think, and whether or not your dentist submits electronically and you have direct deposit. Mine takes a week max, with electronic submission and direct deposit.

All 4 wisdom teeth?! Ouch! How are you feeling? They say that's the best way to do them (all 4 at once), and I have to agree. I was supposed to have all 4 done, but they were impacted and it took 2 hours to do the bottom 2, so my dentist called it a day and said we'd tackle the upper 2 some other time. I never went back. :o

jackieb
November 19th, 2004, 06:50 AM
thanks we live in ontario we have 1000 cad limit per year so we will get most of the work done free. However Chris is getting a new 1000 limit end of December.

I just felt going back 8 times was too much!!!

3 of the cavitities you could see they are quite bad the other 5 he showed me on xrays i dont know what im looking for but he showed me the part of the tooth.

I have to have 6 fillings and im not looking forward to it either 2 of mine i know i can feel the other 4 he pointed out on xrays. But my husband has only one and my middle one had one filling too.

thanks for your thoughts

Princesss04
November 19th, 2004, 10:36 AM
I am doing fine, I have been up cleaining and cooking. A little swollen and sore and looks like I am gonna have black eyes but outside if that I am fine.

melanie
November 20th, 2004, 04:46 PM
dont you have public dentists over there? boy that is harsh. we have free public dentist (theyre pretty good, students are butchers though but they dont do the kids). we can get free treatment if you earn too little and if you earn heaps you can pay and get refunds from medicare or insurance. we get alot of chioces and after readingthis i will never whinge again about all our freebies.

did the doc say why the cavities (if its not tho private tht is)?what sort of water are you drinking? are you on town water? does it contain flouride?

over here many kids in the bush drink tank water collected from rain, it has no flouride in it and the incedence of cavities in really young kids has gone through the roof, my little mate henna has had 7 fillings and is 8yo also, poor kids, she has no flouride in her water as it is pumped straight from the creek so that is the cause, her mother has been giving her flouride tablets and they are working well.

also rencent findings has shown that drinking bottled water has also led to higher incedence of cavities due again to lack of flouride, parents here are being advised to cut down on the amount of bottled water they give kids and more tap water, flouride is in all tap water here and has been for 30yrs, prior this the cavity situation was nearly as high as it is now (but modern diet has added to it).

CyberKitten
November 20th, 2004, 05:37 PM
It varies from province to province in Canada. (The US is a different system again amd much more epensive). I have spoken to dentists who emigrated from your country and they prefer our system because public dentistry sometimes means the least expensive methods are chosen. (But I think all systems have their benefits)

In our province, all children whose parents do not have a dental plan are covered until the age of 16. There are free flouride clinics and that sort of thing. And obviously, if really expensive care is needed, it will be covered by the provincial health care plan - say in the instance of oncology.

Most adults have dental plans. I have spent a small fortune on my mouth but it is by choice - cosmetic dentisty (bonding). I did break a front tooth that has led to problems later in life (and it has all been very generously covered by my dental plan)

I spoke to a friend who is Dean of the Dental School here and he says he has never seen a child with eight cavities so wondered - as did I - about some other pathological problem. I'd get your child to a pediatrician or pediatric dentist ASAP, seriously!! With flouride and universal access, there is no reason any child should have cavities. Most pediatric dentists see mainly brace work and accidental problems like broken cteeth and so forth.

Cinnabear
November 21st, 2004, 01:07 AM
Jackieb, I don't know what your dentist is doing, but mine will fill as many in 1 hr if they are minor cavities, no needles for that. If it is done with freezing needle, then he will only the one side and rebook for the other side. What our dentist charges first is the checkup, then for the actual fillings and not time. This must hard on your son.

melanie
November 21st, 2004, 03:24 PM
whaqt is a flouride clinic? over here the only way to get flouride is in flouride tablets that they charge you for, and if you dont get them then the childs problem stays. what a different system

Sneaky2006
November 22nd, 2004, 01:07 AM
We have flouride in our tap water too... when we didn't (about 4 yrs ago) we were given an Rx by the doctor, he said it was very important for children.

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2004, 09:12 AM
Most industrial countries now have flouride in their water systems but amazingly, some large Canadian, Australian and American cities have opted not to. They all cite a variety of reasons. Here, dental hygenists will perform fluoride treatments - at a private office or in the school system.