Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Email Michael Bryant

Dukieboy
November 18th, 2004, 09:29 AM
hey everyone, please read the article below and email Micheal Bryant pointing out the obvious error. Also, let him know you won't be muzzling your dog.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1100731811986

michael.bryant@jus.gov.on

Shaykeija
November 18th, 2004, 04:13 PM
This is the email I sent him..
With Remberance day just passed, I can imagine my late Great Uncle telling us he fought in Germany to keep us free. Canada is no longer a free Country. We are turning into a police state and this is truly a sad day. With the banning on certain breeds, you are condemning responsible owners.
Ban the bad owners, not the dogs. I have small dogs but I tell people to please do not touch them. If they insist, I go back in the house with them. My dogs are vaccinated, licensed, and an leashes at all times, when we are out. I am a responsible owner. What's next **** Zhu's? Hitler is still alive and I believe he lives in out government. We as the people have no say anymore. The government has all the say. The everyday person be damned.. SHAME on our government. I am truly embarrassed to say I am Canadian. Yes tis a sad day.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

sammiec
November 18th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Here's my letter. A little more emotional then it probably should have been. But this arse has got on my last nerve.

Dear Mr. Bryant;

In light of the most recent attack on pit bulls an article was printed in the Toronto Star stating that pit bulls owners should muzzle their dogs immediately...and this would have prevented the most recent "attack".

To enlighten you Mr. Bryant, you're miracle ban would not have prevented this "attack". Remember, your ban is calling for pit bulls to be muzzled and leashed while in PUBLIC, not in your house! It's very scary to think that you can't even remember the terms of which you have set out in your own legislation!! Maybe you should research your own legislation, you can't even get that information right!

I am curious why the owner of this dog has been charged? On what basis was this owner responsible? Wait, did I just type owner and repsonsible in the same sentence?

I suggest, Mr. Bryant that you research your legislation and that you count to 5 before you speak in public.

Sincerely,
Samantha C

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
November 18th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Just sent him tihs:

Dear Mr. Bryant;

Before you say anything negative about Pit Bulls, do your research. Quite frankly, everything you have said about this breed has been nothing but nonsense. Many, many other people including myself have sent you TONS of information regarding why breed bans do not work, and TRUE facts about Pit bulls and related breeds. Why aren't you listening?

How would you like it if people started saying stuff about you thatisn't true? I'm sure you'd be upset. Just because a dog cannot speak like we can, doesn't mean that slandering them is right.

Muzzling non-aggressive dogs causes problems, mainly due to socialization. Not many people are willing to pet dogs that are muzzled, and lack of socialization is proven to be one of the causes of aggression. Secondly, many Pit Bulls are service dogs. A wheelchair assistance dog cannot pick up objects and bring them to their owners if they have a muzzle. Third, due to medical related problems, some dogs can't wear a muzzle, period. Forth, what if a pit bull is attacked by another dog while it is muzzled? It would be unable to defend itself, and thus, mandatory muzzling is a form of animal abuse.

Do the right thing and do what New Brunswick has just done. Instead of Breed-Specific Legislation, they have decided to do the following:

- Penalizing irresponsible owners;
- Penalizing irresponsible breeders;
- Penalizing puppy mills and backyard breeders;
- Requiring spay or neuter of companion animals;
- Increasing fines for all infractions;
- Pursuing criminal charges and sentences for
negligence or abuse;
- Requiring increased insurance for owners found guilty of negligence or abuse; and,
- Imposing a lifetime dog ownership ban on owners
found guilty of criminal charges under the legislation.

Yours Sincerely,

Meaghan Edwards

I do hate putting "dear" in front of his name :rolleyes:

Sheriffmom
November 18th, 2004, 10:50 PM
My letter got returned as "undeliverable"... probably for the best as I was seriously UPSET when I wrote it!! He is such a MMMMMMMMMMMMMM (censored what I was thinking) translates into... Miserable, rotten, lying, jerk, bag of wind, media hound!!!!! :evil:

Michael Bryant,
Thanks for showing your true colours on that interview with Alex of Pulse 24!! Haha you looked like such an ignoramus !!! (insert smiley head bonking itself) "Uhhh I'm not a dog expert, leave it to the dog experts" ... Wasn't it you claiming that pitbulls have "lock-jaw", "ticking time bombs", "150lb Pitbulls". And yet the true dog experts are being out and out ignored by you.... What Can't take the heat of someone disagreeing with you?? How utterly Saddam-esque. Have you forgotten we live in a DEMOCRACY???
You should probably fire your speach writers, and maybe your researchers too.... they obviously have about as much of an idea of what a Pitbull is as you do!! Maybe you should talk to Dalton about this Pitbull legislation.
The Liberals have one thing that makes them stand apart, they take the easy way out... it costs them millions upon millions (sometimes billions) then they lie and duck and cover when the (smiley icon of a fan with something hitting it inserted here) "Oh no not us, it wasn't our fault!! It was the previous governments fault" or something to that effect.
Until honor, respect, integrity and truth is restored to politics.... I will base my vote on who causes the least damage, and who kills the least amount of puppies... Which means no more votes for the Fiberals.
Regards
(included a list of Anti-ban web links)

I included a few of those "blinky" smiley emoticons...(I just can't get them to copy into this forum) I thought that might at least catch the attention of whoever is reading the letters for him! LOL I was way too peeved at the time, and will think about re-sending from a different address, once I've cooled down, and you've all provided me with your 2 cents!!LOL :p
Otherwise I'll write a more rational letter and send it tomorrow!!

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
November 18th, 2004, 11:00 PM
I've found some alternative email addy, mahwah.

michael_bryant-mpp@ontla.ola.org
mbryant.mpp@liberal.ola.org

bluntman
November 25th, 2004, 12:17 PM
I live in peterborough, and have sent many e-mails to bryant and other mpp's. Peterborough went through the BLS thing about 2 months ago and said NO to BSL, Great I thought, Our local mpp should know that Peterborough is against BSL, and vote against the new bill, Right? I,m not so sure now, this is the responce I got.

****Troy,

Thank you for your email regarding the government's proposed amendments to the Dog Owners' Liability Act. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

As you are aware, the proposed legislation would amend the Dog Owners' Liability Act to ban pit bulls in the province of Ontario. If passed, the legislation would allow existing pit bull owners to keep their dogs, however, these owners would be required to comply with strict new requirements, such as leashing and muzzling, and have their dogs spayed or neutered. Municipalities would be able to use their existing animal control powers to add further restrictions, specific to the needs of each community.

Additionally, if passed the legislation would toughen penalties for the owners of any dog that poses a danger to the public, by doubling fines up to a maximum of $10,000, and allow for jail sentences of up to six months for individuals who own dangerous dogs that bite, attack, or pose a threat. The legislation would also allow fines up to a maximum of $60,000 for corporations who own such dogs.

The government's decision to ban pit bulls and place restrictions on existing pit bulls is a direct response to the overwhelming desire of the majority of Ontarians. In the past few months, Ontario has witnessed numerous serious attacks on innocent victims and family pets by pit bulls. As a result of these and previous attacks, the McGuinty government has received thousands of letters, emails, faxes and phone calls from residents across Ontario, sharing their stories and urging the government to act in the interest of public safety and to protect the rights of Ontarians in their communities.

The proposed legislation is designed to support municipal governments while respecting their authority under the Municipal Act, and avoid a patchwork of bans created by individual municipalities throughout the province.

I have received letters such as yours from people opposed to the ban. I will be sure to pass along your views to my colleagues at Queen's Park.

Yours sincerely,

Jeff********

It looks to me like he's not going to rock the boat, he's going to back his liberal buddy's, and forget that Peterborough said no, I'm begining to think he's just as bad a politican as Bryant.

kigaro
November 25th, 2004, 12:44 PM
dalton's called a full whip.

all liberals are expect to vote it in.

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Most of them are bad politicians. But I found the thing that they really do care about how many votes they get. I seemed to have gotten more respones from the fiberals when I have said that I will no longer be voting for them if they cannot be bothered to answer my emails with any thing other than a form letter. Also state that you have passed your concerns on to the media

pitbulliest
November 25th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Its a sad world when all the politcians (people running the city), care for nothing more than the number of votes they get, so they can go play golf on the weekends.

Definately a sad world :(

mastifflover
November 25th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Isn't that what they are paid way to much money for. Don't forget they barely work 6 month a year with all the time off they have closed for holidays, then the Christmas New Years break, and Easter break and finally the whole summer which actually starts before summer officially starts. Where do we get one of these jobs.

Luvmypit
November 25th, 2004, 03:39 PM
I believe that they make 100 k a year CAD. Must be nice to work 6 months out of the year. Do absolutly no service to the people in which you were elected.

Schwinn
November 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM
I find it interesting that "the majority of Ontarians support the ban", yet the majority of municipalities who've considered the ban, have said no.

Mistruzzi
November 25th, 2004, 05:12 PM
We should also email John Tory to thank him for his support and show him that the majority of the voters are on his side( John Tory-Conservative leader) :thumbs up

LL1
November 25th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Who works only 6 months a year? Not Ontario cabinet ministers.

moontamara
November 25th, 2004, 06:22 PM
- Penalizing irresponsible owners;
- Penalizing irresponsible breeders;
- Penalizing puppy mills and backyard breeders;
- Requiring spay or neuter of companion animals;
- Increasing fines for all infractions;
- Pursuing criminal charges and sentences for
negligence or abuse;
- Requiring increased insurance for owners found guilty of negligence or abuse; and,
- Imposing a lifetime dog ownership ban on owners
found guilty of criminal charges under the legislation.

This is very reasonable and makes way more sense than BSL.