Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Santa is bringing us a Hamster!

Sneaky2006
November 18th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Well, we've definitely decided on a hamster. But we also decided that Santa is bringing it for the family, not just my son.
Now my only problem is we have to wait 6 weeks to get a furball :( :p I can't wait!

jackieb
November 18th, 2004, 06:27 AM
thats great all the best with it

Gazoo
November 18th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Hamsters aren't pets............. they're pet food :p

GsdDiamond
November 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Make sure Santa brings a bottle of "nerve tonic" with the ball 'o' fur. They need the stress reducing tonic at such a hectic time. It's available at most pet stores in the rodent toy section.

Not to mention...does your kid know that they don't live long? If not, get one that doesn't look unique.....generic hamster if you will. That way, if it dies within a couple of years (the typical life span is only 2 years) you can just replace it, give it nerve tonic, and hope your son doesn't notice the change. :D

Sneaky2006
November 18th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks jackie!
Gsd... the hectic time being, coming home? Sorry, don't know what ya mean. :p
We plan on telling him they don't live that long... don't know if that's a good idea or not, but he's pretty smart, so I don't know about lying... :)

lilith_rizel
November 18th, 2004, 12:51 PM
sneaky,

My sister had a hampster before. Make sure you don't get a plastic cage. They can chew right through those. My sisters did, and we never found the thing again, and ended up with baby hampsters running around. The hamster my parents got her was pregnant when they purchased her, I guess, and had babies a few days after she got it. I kinda laugh at it, but it is no better than having mice in the house. I am not sure if they ever got all the little critters or not, I sure hope so, otherwise they would have a hampster problem instead of a mouse problem. LOL

Sneaky2006
November 18th, 2004, 04:05 PM
I hope that doesn't happen! My brother has a hamster though, in a plastic cage... he's only gotten out when their 3 yr old opens the cage and lets him roam. Thanks for the info. :)