Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Testicular cancer

catiecatie
November 17th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Hello Doctors,

I have a 14 year old dog who has been suffering from testicular cancer since early 2004. I wonder if there’s any treatments available other than removing the tumor. Surgically removing the tumor or send him to the heaven are the only options I’ve heard so far. I don’t mind to take him to vet to have the tumor removed if he’ll be fine afterward. I just don’t know if he’ll be able to survive… (because of his age). Could you please give me some advice? Thanks very much!!!

Catie :sad:

PS. Could you also tell me if the surgery is complicated or not? I also want to know if I can afford it…….

Lucky Rescue
November 18th, 2004, 10:25 AM
No one here can answer your questions. Your vet needs to tell you how advanced the cancer is, if it's completely enclosed in the tumour, or if there is other organ or tissue involvement. What does your vet say?

IF the tumour is enclosed and has not spread outside the margins the surgery may be all that is needed, but it may not be possible to know that until they actually operate.

Personally, if this were my 14 year old dog, I would not have the surgery done.

GsdDiamond
November 18th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Spoil him and make sure he's not in any pain. Make that last part of his life a great part! But, because of your caring tone, I'd say he's already lived a full, wonderful life. You're a good parent to care so much! Best of luck.

mastifflover
November 18th, 2004, 11:24 AM
I would find out how advanced it is but I think I would tend to agree and just spoil him rotten which I am sure you already do and make him as happy and comfortable as possible, until it is no longer possible. You have obviously cared for him and loved him just keep doing that. Anesthsia at any age is risky but the older the more risk.

Karin
November 18th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Have him neutered. Why make him suffer with the disease? The Sx is very quick and he will not be under long. However, the suffering could be long.
If he is suffering there is no longer a quality of life. Anesthesia can be risky, I say "can" because there are safer methods used for aged or health compromised pets. If he does not do well under anesthesia it will be the same as euthanasia.
If he was my dog I would have had him neutered in puppyhood, if I was in your shoes I would have him neutered asap!

mastifflover
November 18th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Having him neutered at 14 plus he already has testicular cancer would be futile. The only way that I would put my dog under anastesia at that age is if there was the possibility of lengthening and bettering the quality of his life.

Karin
November 18th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Having him neutered at 14 plus he already has testicular cancer would be futile. The only way that I would put my dog under anastesia at that age is if there was the possibility of lengthening and bettering the quality of his life.

Neutering him would do away with the cancer and hopefully improve his quality of life..no matter how short it may be. There is no "cut off"age for the use of anesthesia...I have seen older pets come through just fine.
The poster was weighing the options of surgery vs euthanasia. Why not opt for the surgery if euthanasia is the only other option? It's not like it is a full invasive surgery such as a spay. 15 minutes top is all it will take. If all goes well he will be awake and on his feet in one hour. And cancer free. If he does not handle the anesthesia then the second option has taken place.
I would never ever let someone I love suffer & die from a terrible disease without at least trying .

Lucky Rescue
November 18th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Neutering him would do away with the cancer and hopefully improve his quality of life..

I agree completely that if a simple surgery would eliminate the cancer, then it should be done, no matter the age of the dog and I would do it too. I've seen elderly pets come through anesthesia very well too, including my own old dog.

BUT if the cancer has metastasized, which is quite possible since he may have had it a long time undetected, that's another story. That is what needs to be discovered before any decisions can be made.

Karin
November 18th, 2004, 09:11 PM
This is another good example as to why we stress pet's being spayed & neutered. We stress this not only because of the unwanted pet population but also because of hormone related cancers and by having a pet altered it does improve their wellness!
A spayed or neutered pet is a happier, healthy pet.

Rant over.

Lucky Rescue
November 18th, 2004, 09:50 PM
This is another good example as to why we stress pet's being spayed & neutered. We stress this not only because of the unwanted pet population but also because of hormone related cancers and by having a pet altered it does improve their wellness!

Amen. I hope anyone reading this who has not had their pet altered will do so!

doggy lover
November 23rd, 2004, 09:27 PM
Surgery for a dog with cancer is not always the right answer. How will the dog recover from the surgery and could the cancer already be in other places. Your dog has had a long life, you will know what is better for your beloved friend. I lost my dog to bone cancer in January, I had other choices but I knew what would be better for him and decided to end his pain, he went to sleep peacefully. Find out from your vet what your options are and think about it, you don't always have to put them to sleep right away, you can waite until the dog is uncomfortable and if drugs don't help the pain then its time. It is hard being a responsible owner, but they all pass over rainbow bridge at sometime.