Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat w/one eye & head tick

Winky's Mom
November 17th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Hi.
(hope I'm doin this correctly...) (heh)

Ok. My 7 yr old (age approx) Persian (female) kitty had developed a head jerk. (tick) (not sure how to describe it)

In my "title" I mentioned she has just one eye. (instead of the usual 3 that most cats have) (wink wink)
Not sure it has anything at all to do w/this. Just thought it might. (never know!)

About a month ago I noticed her getting (what looked to be) chills. (skin/fur quivers)
(regularly)(Not when sleeping tho.)
Let me describe: Fur/skin on back rolling.
But she was eating fine & goin potty normally.
(we've been thru 'stones' B-4, so I am very attentive w/litter box behavior.) (My B-friend thinks I'm a nut.) (giggles)

She still does get those 'chills' now just not often.

Last vet visit, he noticed (for 1st time in 7 yrs) that her pupil was dilated & opaque. (reason I say "for 1st time in 7 yrs" is because it's been dilated the entire time.) (But the opaqueness is something new I'm pretty sure)

She's had one eye since I've known her.
She was abused, declawed (not by a Doctor, poss at home!) but luckily escaped.
She was TOO TOO afraid & mistrusting of (icky) humans to be caught.
So she was out in the wild (our neighborhood is pretty wild. Coyotes, skunks, raccoons, possums etc.) w/no way to defend herself.
We figure she got into a fight getting her eye severely wounded. W/o med help the eye died.

Anyway... (sorry for being long winded) The vet referred me to a Kitty eye Dr. I called her w/Winky's symptoms.
At the time (2-3 weeks ago) they were:
1 - goopy eye - thick, slightly tinted (brownish), goop running out of remaining eye AND where they sowed up her other eye.
2 - dilated pupil
3 - opaque film over eye
4 - the "chills" (quivers)

I wanted to know if these symptoms sounded SERIOUS, or if i had a lil time to get money.
LET ME SAY: I am not one of those people who wait for death throws B-4 considering a vet visit. My B- friend can vouch. (heh) I am the OPPOSITE.
But, at this time money IS not available.
(Don't have family, credit card, etc.) (but I could sell something. That's why i want(ed) to know if her symptoms were serious.)

She (the kitty eye Dr.) called me back & said the one symptom that had her concerned was the dilated pupil. But since it had ALWAYS been that way, she didn't think it was life threatening.

So.
The goopy eye has gone away.
Chills have diminished. (not totally gone)

She still has the opaque film & dilated pupil.

And now a tick. A head jolt/jerk. (Started off w/a couple a day. Now it's a lil worse.)

Worried about everything n anything,
Winky's Mom

Thank you.

Winky's Mom
November 17th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Proud Mom showin off.
(you KNOW how it iz...) (blushes)

Lucky Rescue
November 17th, 2004, 10:52 PM
She's very pretty - one eye or two!

Is she eating, drinking, peeing, pooping normally? Is she acting as usual?

I'm just wondering if the dilated eye is connected with the jerking, and if it could be neurological.

Thanks for saving this poor girl.

louie's mum
November 17th, 2004, 11:00 PM
wow .. what a story.
i'm not gonna try to give advice since i'm just a new mum myself ;) but i want to wish u all the best luck in the world. ur winky sure got lucky with u.

Winky's Mom
November 21st, 2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks 4 the nice compliments. (as if I had anything to do w/what a beautiful creature she is.) (heh)
I must tell U that her manners, sweetness, loving & super cuddly ways match her outer beauty, actually exceeds it. I've never had a better friend! (smiles)
(there I go again, proud momma braggin her booty off!) :rolleyes:

OK now to answer your Q's.

Yes her litter box behavior is all normal. As well as eating.

as far as acting as she usually does....
For the most part. Except for the twitching/jerking. Which seems to be getting worse.

I KNOW i should just get her to the vet. Better safe than sorry.

Again I appreciate ya'lls replies!

winky's mom

Maya
November 27th, 2004, 01:46 PM
What a wonderful kitty. My recently lost, was also abused before I got him and was very timid. He ended up being the most loving affectionate well behaved friend. Your story reminded me of him and got me a little choked up. Hope you got the money okay. :love:

chico2
November 27th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Winkys Mom,I just wanted to say thank's for being such a caring person,I wish everyone was and good luck to beautiful Winky :love: